Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Infrared Willow
Contest Number: 61 Contest Theme: Trees Lens: 18-55mm Camera: K100D Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: atnbirdie, 09-02-2011, 04:50 AM

Willow and other trees in color infrared.

Attached Images

Views: 2,498
10-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Infrared Willow image

Greetings!
This is a beautiful image in Infrared! It evokes a winter snow scene. Thanks for sharing it!
10-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for appreciating it and letting me know you did!
10-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Inactive Account

hi! Please can U tell me how u do to take these type of shot? I've tried a lot of IR photo but they never turn to be like urs they stay black and white! I've a Kx and i use a cokin 89b filter

10-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Some of the difference could be the filter. When I took this photo, I was using a Hoya R72 IR filter on my K100D. I have since had the camera modified so it only shoots IR photos by having the IR blocking filter removed from the sensor and having an IR pass filter put in its place. Now instead of 2-3 second photos in bright sunlight, I can take pictures handheld with no problem and get about the same results.
Note that all DSLRs have IR blocking filters on them. The K100D evidently had one that was not so efficient so it produced good IR photos with an IR filter added. My understanding is that many cameras have much better IR filters and perhaps the KX is one of them, so that is something to consider. As I said, I used a different filter than you so that may also explain some of the difference between my photo and whatever you are getting.
Finally, there is the set up and the processing. Here is basically what I do:
1-I always shoot RAW so have a lot of latitude to manipulate things without compression screwing things up and I always have the original if things don't go well.
2-I set a custom white balance in camera with the R72 filter in place and pointing the white balance point at vegetation which is essentially white in IR. A patch of grass works fine.
3-During processing, I set the white balance by clicking on a bit of vegetation, which is whitish.
4-I reverse the blue and red channels using The GIMP (Photoshop works too, but The GIMP is free). By that I mean select the red channel and change the red value from 100% to 0% and make the blue value 100%. Then go the blue channel, zero out its blue value and max its red value to 100%.
That's pretty much it. From there, I tweak tints and colors to get the effect I want. I also will, from time to time, use GIMP to do a layered shot so I can bring out a better blue effect from the sky while keeping the vegetation warmer. The Willow photo is not one of those though. I just did basic processing on it.

Hope this helps.
10-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Inactive Account

With a non modified camera, suppose I crack the ISO, i meant increase the ISO, will I be able to obtain a better shot?
10-06-2011, 02:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kishankx Quote
With a non modified camera, suppose I crack the ISO, i meant increase the ISO, will I be able to obtain a better shot?
What do you think your problem is with quality? You've said you want better pictures but never said what the specific quality problem it's that you perceive. Cranking the ISO up will decrease exposure time but at the cost of more noise.