Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Theme: Contest #16, December, 2007
Posted By: Adam, 12-03-2007, 01:18 PM

The theme for the PentaxForums.com December Photo Contest is:

Wildlife

As usual, plase do not post your submissions as replies to this thread! Make a new thread in the submission sub-forum instead!

If this is your first contest, you may be interested in reading the following articles:

Contest Procedure | Contest Rules

Good luck to all participants! The poll for last month's entries will be up by tomorrow evening.
Views: 4,031
12-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
How do you know that the picture was recieved

Hi MO. I think I did every thing right when I sent in the picture for this month,but I though I did it right last month also but I Didn't see my picture. Where can you go in the forum to check to see that the picture was sent correctly.thanks Steve
12-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you click on Contest Submissions you should see your submission, but no one else's

here's a little known secret, you can still edit your post before the deadline, if you happen to get something you like better
12-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
djm

Thanks for that tip LL much appreciated.

12-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #5

thank you Stu . Steve
12-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Inactive Account

are animals in captivity still considered wildlife or only in their natural habitat?
12-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #7

wild·life (wºld“lºf”) n. Wild animals and vegetation, especially animals living in a natural, undomesticated state. craftsmansky I found this in my dictionary .Hope that helps
12-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is insect life regarded as wildlife? Usually when one thinks of wildlife one thinks of bears, deer, zoo animals and the like?

12-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Is insect life regarded as wildlife? Usually when one thinks of wildlife one thinks of bears, deer, zoo animals and the like?
Well, the operational definition of "wildlife" according to various (American) government agencies includes plants as well as vertebrates and invertebrates. Not sure about mushrooms.
12-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
.... especially animals living in a natural, undomesticated state......
... ESPECIALLY, but (I hope) not NECESSARILY?

And I guess if an animal is almost extinct in 'the wild' then zoos in general might be considered its most likely habitat?

I'd argue that as long as the animal is wild (ie. nondomesticated, or nontame) then if it's in captivity it would still be considered 'wild'...
12-17-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
djm

My interpretation would be that the animal must not be domestic or restrained in any way to be wild life ie not on a leash or in a cage when the shot is taken. I do not think flora is wild life because it needs no restraint and cannot run wild. They are Wild flowers or Trees in the Wild eg.
12-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Zoo animals are not viewed as wildlife as they normally have come to rely on humans for their safety/food and so are considered captive/domesticated.

There may be some creatures that continue to hunt or forage for themselves in captivity, but I can't think of any offhand.
12-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Zoo animals are not viewed as wildlife as they normally have come to rely on humans for their safety/food and so are considered captive/domesticated.

There may be some creatures that continue to hunt or forage for themselves in captivity, but I can't think of any offhand.
I agree that wildlife has the connotation of being "wild" as in not captive. That makes sense to me. BUT you shoulda been at the zoo with me today. I nabbed a couple good shots of "visitor" birds. The San Diego Zoo has a few exhibits that the local Snowy Egrets and Great Blue Herons think is a resort. Not to mention many other birds native to the area like to hang around there. Today there were over a dozen egrets ON TOP of the Sea Eagle, Harpy Eagle and California Condor's enclosures. I even saw an egret FISHING inside one of the partial inside/outside aquariums. I couldn't believe the bird got in. I bet the zookeepers just love that!
12-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I'm going to go with snakes, because I'm pretty sure they'd only eat stuff they've caught themselves. That said, if a zookeeper releases live mice into a snake enclosure, then you could again argue that the animal is being 'fed' and not really hunting. (Though if 'free' seagulls congregate for free chips at the beach, they are also relying on humans for food, I'd say. Ah, the conundrums....)

Anyway, under those definitions, living in a big city is going to limit my capacity to capture wildlife. Unless I can seek out some rats or birds, I suppose.
Closed Thread