Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weathered fence post
Contest Number: 72 Contest Theme: Fences Lens: Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX II HSM Camera: Samsung GX-1S (Pentax *ist DS2) Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Edgar_in_Indy, 08-13-2012, 07:49 AM

The farmer who owns this pasture near my home probably thinks that this old fence post serves only one purpose--keeping the horses in. Little does he know that this fence post also frequently doubles as a photographic test subject.

I support my photography hobby in part by buying and re-selling photographic equipment, so I'm frequently taking pictures with newly acquired gear in order to test it and to provide sample photos for selling purposes. I have found that it is helpful to use some of the same subjects since it allows me to compare the performance of different cameras and lenses. This fence post is one of my standard test subjects. I like it because it has a lot of character and a lot of detail, so it is good for testing lens sharpness and contrast. It also provides a good test for autofocus accuracy, and bokeh rendering.

On the day I shot this photo, I was testing a Samsung GX-1S which is basically a re-branded Pentax *ist DS2. I had bought the camera for a very good price bundled with a couple lenses on eBay, and after I sold the lenses, the camera body was essentially free. The camera went to an excited buyer in South Africa, and I had a little bit more money in my photography piggy bank.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-03-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Views: 692