Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Pour
Contest Number: 80 Contest Theme: Rain Lens: smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Camera: PENTAX K-5 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: BradleyS, 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM

This photo is a bit special to me, as it is one of the first I made with my beloved Pentax K-5 shortly after I bought it two years ago.

I still remember the rain that day. Flash flood warnings were in effect for areas that don't usually flood (like ours). As the pouring began, the sky lit up bright gray—almost white. The rain roared, drowning out the sound of distant thunder drawing closer, something I've heard very few times in my life. Weather-sealed camera and kit lens in hand, I went looking for magic against all warnings by the weathermen who had assumed command of our television sets. Within minutes, the sidewalk had accumulated 2+ inches of water. I set the K-5 on the ground, balancing the lens just a bit higher, and let the continuous drive rip. What remains is a blur of liquid and haze, rushing water being pummeled from above, the sunset barely visible in the distance, and a lone lamp post marking the way home.

Storms come and go, but nothing like this since. Needless to say, I needed a change of clothing.

Pentax K-5 with SMC Pentax 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR @ 20mm (~30mm equiv.)
1/1250 sec @ f/4, ISO 3200

As for the kit lens, the best lens is the one you have with you, so long as it's waterproof.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 655
05-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #2

It's a nice picture indeed.
I would suggest, perhaps, a short crop on the left side. Anyway, it's a wonderfould moment. I can almost hear that rain.
05-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for the kind words.