Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Undergroud Sky
Contest Number: 83 Contest Theme: The Sky Lens: SMC-FA*24mm Camera: K7 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F2 
Posted By: Moe49, 07-28-2013, 10:39 AM

This shot taken underground in China's Fu Rong Caves, March 2013. The cave ceiling is the only "sky" these rocks have ever known for millions of years.

Last edited by Moe49; 08-17-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: change title
Views: 1,264
08-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I am not sure if its ethical to respond to the "that is not sky" comment/question about my photo now, or wait until contest voting closes (?)

Anyway, here are my thoughts on why I felt photo #228 was an appropriate submission to the "Sky" Photo Contest :

I take the position that "sky" can be a relative thing; a high overhead expanse appearing to stretch to a far away horizon.
The rock ceiling in my cave photo is the only "sky" this cavern has ever known, ever, for millions of years.

Truth be told, while framing this shot I did not think of the ceiling as representing a "sky". Months later, while reviewing photos for "The Great China Adventure Survivor's BBQ & Picture Show", I was immediately drawn to the deep blue cast of the ceiling in this photo, and how the rock grain overhead resembles clouds sweeping swiftly by.

--Moe--

Last edited by Moe49; 08-15-2013 at 02:19 PM.
12-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Moe49 , I entered a photo of a woman on a beach in whats called a reflection pose where she was clearly in the middle of doing a fixing of the thoughts . I looked up the definition of reflection . ( A fixing of the thoughts on something). But the narrow mindedness of the judges was only accepting a small part of the definition of the word reflection . Apparently the judges that are in charge of accepting photos have no sense of artistic interpretation of the photographer . So we are left looking at photographs without meaning.
12-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
I am not sure if its ethical to respond to the "that is not sky" comment/question about my photo now, or wait until contest voting closes (?)

Anyway, here are my thoughts on why I felt photo #228 was an appropriate submission to the "Sky" Photo Contest :

I take the position that "sky" can be a relative thing; a high overhead expanse appearing to stretch to a far away horizon.
The rock ceiling in my cave photo is the only "sky" this cavern has ever known, ever, for millions of years.

Truth be told, while framing this shot I did not think of the ceiling as representing a "sky". Months later, while reviewing photos for "The Great China Adventure Survivor's BBQ & Picture Show", I was immediately drawn to the deep blue cast of the ceiling in this photo, and how the rock grain overhead resembles clouds sweeping swiftly by.

--Moe--
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/18-monthly-photo-contests/113015-reflecti...e-meaning.html This is what Adam said to me .