Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Clearing
Contest Number: 86 Contest Theme: Astrophotography Lens: Bower 14mm f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-5 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: krp, 10-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Even though I love thunderstorms, I was hoping for a clear sky to photograph the milky way since I was only in the Badlands one night. At 10 pm it didn't seem like it was going to happen so I returned to my campsite in Wall. But just before going to sleep at midnight I noticed I could see stars. So I drove the 20 minutes back to the overlook and saw this. Badlands National Park is one of the best places you can go for dark skies with very little light pollution. Although it wasn't very well defined, green airglow is visible in this shot. Even a very small town can have lights that reflect on the clouds and that is what the orange spots are. To get this shot, I combined 2 images, one for the sky at 25 seconds, and one for the foreground at 5 minutes.

Views: 663

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
badlands, minutes, shot, sky