Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Trees in the mists
Contest Number: 90 Contest Theme: Trees Lens: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Camera: Pentax K5 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: SointulArt, 02-28-2014, 08:38 PM

Taken last September as the trees were illuminated by the low sun and the fog was just lifting. Converted to B&W using Topaz B&W Effects.

Attached Images

Views: 1,023
03-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #2

Absolutely cool..,, what lense and setting did u have ? And how bright was it arch time of the photo
Nice shot
03-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The lens was a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro and I was shooting strait into the sun, so it was fairly bright
03-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Really cool shot - i like it a lot

03-23-2014, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
Tree in the mist: this is nice vs. many thoughtless unrealistic pictures; trees chiseling out the journey of the light is justified aptly. But is seems like the artist have covered the half journey of the light, which is running post trees to some location (indefinite of course) and more coverage of the scene would have made the frame and the viewers twist. The light, trees & twigs are in hand in hand playing some jingle.
03-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the critique Kumar. Unfortunately, if I shot any wider there were trees blocking the view and they became a distraction. So I went in close to give the maximum impact in the shot. I will be very interested to try and capture similar shots with my new 10-17mm fisheye. It may enable me to go wider, and get closer to the action. Thanks again!
Darryl

QuoteOriginally posted by samit Kumar Biswas Quote
Tree in the mist: this is nice vs. many thoughtless unrealistic pictures; trees chiseling out the journey of the light is justified aptly. But is seems like the artist have covered the half journey of the light, which is running post trees to some location (indefinite of course) and more coverage of the scene would have made the frame and the viewers twist. The light, trees & twigs are in hand in hand playing some jingle.
03-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SointulArt Quote
Thanks for the critique Kumar. Unfortunately, if I shot any wider there were trees blocking the view and they became a distraction. So I went in close to give the maximum impact in the shot. I will be very interested to try and capture similar shots with my new 10-17mm fisheye. It may enable me to go wider, and get closer to the action. Thanks again!
Darryl

I am saving for a wide lens. I was wondering what made u go with the 10-17 fish eye. I'm just resourcing now but I assume u are talking about the pentax 10-17? Is so do u have a wide another wide lens? I ask because they are not cheep and I'm trying to figur out what lens are more suited for specific shots and why people chose a specific lens.
Thx nort
03-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nort Quote
I am saving for a wide lens. I was wondering what made u go with the 10-17 fish eye. I'm just resourcing now but I assume u are talking about the pentax 10-17? Is so do u have a wide another wide lens? I ask because they are not cheep and I'm trying to figur out what lens are more suited for specific shots and why people chose a specific lens.
Thx nort
Yes, I bought a Pentax 10-17mm a couple of months ago. The decision to go with this lens at the time was based partly on cost, it was on sale at a Canadian retailer for CAD$399 and also for the experience of using a true fisheye zoom. This zoom is quite versatile, but it is not rectilinear, so there are a lot of distortions. Also the lens suffers from some quite severe PF in high contrast situations. Given these caveats and choosing the right subject, you can capture some amazing images with this lens. That said, you may want to buy a rectilinear wide angle lens. I can recommend the 14mm f2.8 lens from Samyang (also sold under Rockinon, Bower, ProOptic etc brand names). This is a manual focus lens, but the optics are superb. They have also announced a 10mm lens, which could be awesome, but I would wait to see some reviews before jumping on that one.

darryl