Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 1,940
07-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

I see you went back to 2011 for this one hehe

The Jigokudani monkey park? I believe I watched a show on them once.. seeing the pack order and system of who gets to sit in the water and where.was interesting.

hmmm the photo matches the theme well. I'm not too pleased with the framing though.. not enough space above the monkey sitting on the rocks in the top right part of the image.. same issue in the lefthand side of the image.. while the right has too much space..

The water looks smeary.. esp in the foreground.. yet the monkeys themselves are really sharp. not sure what to make of that.

I would have liked the monkey in the front, peering into his own reflection as a crop.. 'him' alone would be a super image.

In any case, im nitpicking.. it is a nice image and fits the theme.. nominated.

07-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I see you went back to 2011 for this one hehe
I could have gone back to my first visit in 2010!

QuoteQuote:
The Jigokudani monkey park? I believe I watched a show on them once.. seeing the pack order and system of who gets to sit in the water and where.was interesting.
Yes, it's Jigokudani.

QuoteQuote:
hmmm the photo matches the theme well. I'm not too pleased with the framing though.. not enough space above the monkey sitting on the rocks in the top right part of the image.. same issue in the lefthand side of the image.. while the right has too much space..
I have a lot of other images which I could have chosen - better photos of the monkeys - however, in this image the whole context is very clear; you can see the onsen pool and the snow covered hillside, various monkeys in the process of doing a variety of things, the snow falling, and the steam rising from the hot water. With respect to the framing, please bear in mind that I was using the DA 55-300 (given the falling snow I didn't want to change to the DA 16-45) and I was teetering on the edge of pool being crowded around by a bunch of other human tourists. I couldn't step back any further to provide more clearance above the monkey at the top. Looking at the exif data, it seems that I could have zoomed out a bit more, and it's a shame I didn't. I could have cropped the right side a little in editing to make the close cropping consistent, but I was trying to maintain the original frame and proportions.

QuoteQuote:
The water looks smeary.. esp in the foreground.. yet the monkeys themselves are really sharp. not sure what to make of that.
Could be the steam doing it. Shutter speed was 1/100s so the water may be slightly blurred from motion. I have a large canvas print of this shot, and it looks great viewed from a suitable distance.

QuoteQuote:
I would have liked the monkey in the front, peering into his own reflection as a crop.. 'him' alone would be a super image.
Sadly, the shot I took of her alone (looking at her reflection) was overexposed by the K7. I'm really not sure why the K7 exposures were so variable that day. It's also not as sharp (. I agree, it would have been great, but not as suitable for the theme!

QuoteQuote:
In any case, im nitpicking.. it is a nice image and fits the theme.. nominated.
Thanks! This is what she looked like on her own.