Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which photo should win the Black and White contest?
#1 346.03%
#2 457.98%
#3 407.09%
#4 346.03%
#5 122.13%
#6 457.98%
#7 376.56%
#8 427.45%
#9 7713.65%
#10 193.37%
#11 8615.25%
#12 183.19%
#13 264.61%
#14 284.96%
#15 213.72%
Voters: 564. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
VOTE NOW - Photo Contest #95 Poll (Black and White - July 2014)
Posted By: Adam, 08-14-2014, 08:36 PM

It's time for us to pick the winners of our July "Black and White" photo contest! Vote in the poll above from your favorite among the photos below. Good luck and congratulations to our finalists!

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.

Views: 13,041
08-18-2014, 04:43 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
I agree and I thought there used to be a rule for these competitions that no identifying marks were to be present.
I never vote for entries with artist ID on the image.

---------- Post added 08-18-2014 at 09:07 AM ----------

The images here are all fantastic but I can't see any of the ones I liked from the commenting stage.
Actually, I think there are a number of images I am seeing here for the first time.

Funny how people think this way. I enter for fun, as well, I have auto export saved this way.

Also, one only need look at the photos under contest voting as well as on the nomination photo itself put there by the pentax system to know who entered it. It is no secret.

I guess you take these contests quite seriously.

08-18-2014, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #47

Photos: Gallery
voted. only one.
I don't like photo's with peoples names on it. sorry.
08-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elle.e Quote
voted. only one.
Why are you apologizing?

---------- Post added 08-18-14 at 09:46 AM ----------

7/15 finalists have names on them. That makes the decision easier for some of you. Live and let live; no need to push your views on others.
08-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #49

Photos: Albums
We had a group long back about 25 to 30 years, we were doing film photography. We were processing black & white in our own darkroom and Lab. As well said by William above "everything comes down to line and shading", we went on working in BW some it almost abstract but carries a feeling which is very close to your heart.

Here is some amazing set of work by people. It is very difficult to make a choice. As it comes from your inner feeling, every ones pick may be different.

Finally i chose one which struck me most in first glimpse.

Best wishes to all as all are winners....

08-18-2014, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #50

All the photos are excellent, worthy of 1st. place.. For various reasons, I seem to favour 3,7,8, and 11.

A thought about all photo contests: I wonder how many enteries are submitted by professional photo studios, who want to advertise their stock?

It would be informative if all 15 enteries with EXIF information showing are again available, after the winner is chosen.
08-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #51
Veteran Member

What a phenomenal gallery. ONLY ONE?!

Damn you, Adam :P Why not two or three? One is friggin' impossible!

But seriously.... this is truly a fantastic field, and I am both honored and privileged to have my entry among them, especially for the support I've received for my image.

Best of luck to everyone with a horse in this (extremely tight) race

-Heie
08-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #52

# 6 should win.

08-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #53

Wow!

I have to go with # 11. The tones the textures and contrast combined with that jaw dropping view. Wow!
08-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #54
Veteran Member

miked

Agree with Velja nothing on the photo should indicated the photog. Identifying marks should cause instant disqualification. Then you don't get friends voting for friends or those having reputations good or bad entering into the voting, and unknowns no matter how good lose out. Since I didn't enter I feel completely comfortable saying this. Also posts regarding the various pics should not indicate the photographs author for the same reason. So although Tripper dog is my favorite I can't vote for Tess or any others who indicated who did what by Watermark or post.
08-19-2014, 06:19 AM - 3 Likes   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Agree with Velja nothing on the photo should indicated the photog. Identifying marks should cause instant disqualification. Then you don't get friends voting for friends or those having reputations good or bad entering into the voting, and unknowns no matter how good lose out. Since I didn't enter I feel completely comfortable saying this. Also posts regarding the various pics should not indicate the photographs author for the same reason. So although Tripper dog is my favorite I can't vote for Tess or any others who indicated who did what by Watermark or post.
That is completely ridiculous argument in my opinion as everyone's photo is identifiable on both the nomination page (their name has been added at the top of the image --- on the image--- by the pentax system) and the voting thread itself is right there when you open Official Photo Contests. Also, THERE ARE NO RULES AGAINST PUTTING YOUR NAME ON YOUR IMAGE, thus disqualifying one for such a reason is oxymoronic.
08-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Hi,
Tess, you're the loudest, In this "hen-house"! If you're a photographer, and take part in international competitions alone photographic ethics calls for you to stay long since regulated norms!
I suggest you to sign up to "The Al-Thani Award 2014" by November, with an autographed photos! After that, you will be clear about what we are discussing !?
Have a good day,
Vela
08-20-2014, 04:15 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Velja Quote
Hi,
Tess, you're the loudest, In this "hen-house"! If you're a photographer, and take part in international competitions alone photographic ethics calls for you to stay long since regulated norms!
I suggest you to sign up to "The Al-Thani Award 2014" by November, with an autographed photos! After that, you will be clear about what we are discussing !?
Have a good day,
Vela
I am very clear. You are not. We are in the Pentax Forum and there are no rules or ethical guidelines regarding this competition and putting your name on your photo. The noise from your henhouse must be from boredom because it is baseless. I am a hobbyist and sometimes I like to participate in these challenges. I find them fun. Best Regards, Vela.

P.S. I also love Jazz and there is a great standard "In the Henhouse" ... now that I love to listen to!!

Last edited by tessfully; 08-20-2014 at 04:43 AM.
08-20-2014, 04:58 AM   #58
Pentaxian

If I notice, for of such and similar "competition", the photos should not you have any information about the author (watermark and similar personal data) !!
Such photos lead other authors in the unequal legal status! I know that a large number of colleagues, will not agree with my opinion !! In international competitions such photos are automatically eliminated!
Have a good day,
Velja
What possible objection could there be to putting information on a photo, apart from you want to pass it off as your own? The opinion of thieves and maybe a few others. So what is the value in pushing an opinion that favours such people, even if you're not one yourself.

Further to that, any one who lobby's to affect a competition that's in progress, or denigrate participants is clearly un-ethical to the point I'd suggest they be banned from further communication in the thread until the competition ends. Competitions should proceed under the rules established. if the rules need to be changed , that can be done for the next competition.

What kind of person starts discussing international competitions and legal issues in the Pentax forum? If you're happy with the results of international competitions, go comment there. If you're not happy with the rules here, leaving is an option.

Am I missing something?

Personally I've never won a competition here, but it's not because of my name being on or off the pictures, it's because every one I've entered someone else has entered a better one. Not because some dude put his name on a picture. Stop whining about the rules, borders, names on pictures and go take some good photos. It would be time better spent.

As for comments about hen houses pointed at female participants. That's sexist, denigrating, and inappropriate. But hey it's the internet. What you gonna do? Let some one with an extremely impaired moral compass diminish your enjoyment of the site? I do my best to avoid letting that happen.

Last edited by normhead; 08-20-2014 at 05:20 AM.
08-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
I agree and I thought there used to be a rule for these competitions that no identifying marks were to be present.
I never vote for entries with artist ID on the image.

---------- Post added 08-18-2014 at 09:07 AM ----------

The images here are all fantastic but I can't see any of the ones I liked from the commenting stage.
Actually, I think there are a number of images I am seeing here for the first time.
QuoteOriginally posted by elle.e Quote
voted. only one.
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Hi,
Have a good day,
Vela
I have not been very active on this website for a while. I do enter the monthly contests but otherwise I have limited myself to dropping in on this website rarely and simply hitting the "like" button if something strikes my fancy but I hate to admit that I miss the "good old days" when people were kind, read the rules and didn't try to put someone down because they disagree with how they presented their work. Unkind remarks were far and few between. Seems like that has become the norm now but, still, I do miss them. Keep up the good fight Tess and know you are not alone.
08-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #60
Forum Member

Photo Contest #95 Poll

Hi. my vote is nr.1,2,3
Closed Thread