Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
October 23rd Solar Eclipse at Sunset MN
Contest Number: 98 Contest Theme: Wrapped, Covered, or Packaged Lens: Pentax SMC FA 80-320mm Camera: Pentax K3 Shutter Speed: 1/8000s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Pentaxaholic, 10-23-2014, 09:27 PM

The October 23rd Solar Eclipse.
Shows sun eclipsed by moon, wrapped in clouds and covered by silhouette of trees at sunset.

Attached Images

Views: 934
11-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You should try taking a picture of the next solar eclipse, it is truly a CHALLENGE!
11-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Great shot, and the effort you had to put into this is time consuming. Well Done!
11-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oltimer Quote
Great shot, and the effort you had to put into this is time consuming. Well Done!
You are NOT KIDDING!
It was not only time consuming, but blinding and challenging!
My first consideration was protecting the sensor in the camera from being burned by the sun!

It sounds like you have tried it, I must say the solar eclipse was the MOST challenging subject I ever photographed. Reflections, lens flares, intense light,and to get a picture that looks like a picture rather than just a slice of sun on a black background is TOUGH!

It was fun though! Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed viewing it!

11-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #5

Yes, I have "tried" and "done it" many times over my 72 years. Your fore front adds much to the very sharp shot of the eclipse.
11-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxaholic Quote
You are NOT KIDDING!
It was not only time consuming, but blinding and challenging!
My first consideration was protecting the sensor in the camera from being burned by the sun!

It sounds like you have tried it, I must say the solar eclipse was the MOST challenging subject I ever photographed. Reflections, lens flares, intense light,and to get a picture that looks like a picture rather than just a slice of sun on a black background is TOUGH!

It was fun though! Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed viewing it!
thanks for sharing the behind the scenes moments.....the brave are rewarded...nice one!
11-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch!

QuoteOriginally posted by oltimer Quote
Yes, I have "tried" and "done it" many times over my 72 years. Your fore front adds much to the very sharp shot of the eclipse.
Thanks a lot! I decided to climb the highest point where it overlooked a lake to get this shot setting at the treetops. The amount of light from the intensity of eclipse and reflecting off the water was BLINDING to me and the camera! I took a few different ones, but this was my favorite (what I envisioned).

I always try to make the photo into a scene. I've seen too many eclipse photos that have no other elements in the photo. That is a challenge in itself when the eclipse peaks right at the setting of the sun and top of the trees!

I guess it takes someone who has actually tried it, to truly appreciate the results!
I appreciate your comments!

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 08:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
thanks for sharing the behind the scenes moments.....the brave are rewarded...nice one!
Thank you! (and you are welcome)!
I am glad you are enjoying it.

11-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

Once in a lifetime shot, well done,