Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread

Contest #101 - January 2015 (Best of 2014) - Win a K-50!
Posted By: Ole, 01-01-2015, 05:01 PM

The theme for the official Pentax Forums photo contest for January, 2015 is:

Best of 2014

Let your imagination rule and show us some really spectacular images!

Click here to Submit a Photo

Remember: your submission must be taken with a Pentax or a Ricoh camera and be scaled to web-friendly resolution. After clicking on the link above attach your photo using our attachment system (preferred) or link to an external image. 1 submission per person.

And don't forget to nominate your favorites from last month

Prizes:

1st place: A Pentax K-50 DSLR body
2nd place:
1-year premium forum account upgrade
3rd place: 50 sheets of premium photo paper from Red River Paper.

Links:Information

If this is your first contest, you may be interested in reading the guidelines below:

Views: 10,025
01-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drzinc Quote
Thanks can someone remove it?
I've gone ahead and moved it to the submissions section for you. Go to My Activity -> My Threads in the upper-right corner of the page to view it, and feel free to edit the title or add a description as you see fit.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiodoc Quote
Where do you go to see the best of submissions? Thanks
They will become visible here on February 1st:
Monthly Contest Nominations - PentaxForums.com

Until then, you can nominate finalists in our December Holiday Spirit contest.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2015, 02:51 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Trying to upload an image to the contest as an attachment to my post. The picture as .jpg is 1400x927, 1.09 MB (as the attachment getting reduced to 130 KB).
And keep getting this:

The following errors occurred with your submission:
1. The text that you have entered is too long (1528538 characters). Please shorten it to 100000 characters long.

However, the text I had entered was: Taken on Independence Day in LA.
What am I doing wrong?
01-10-2015, 03:55 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ceremonsen Quote
Trying to upload an image to the contest as an attachment to my post. The picture as .jpg is 1400x927, 1.09 MB (as the attachment getting reduced to 130 KB).
And keep getting this:

The following errors occurred with your submission:
1. The text that you have entered is too long (1528538 characters). Please shorten it to 100000 characters long.

However, the text I had entered was: Taken on Independence Day in LA.
What am I doing wrong?
Did a base 64 encoded image somehow manage to creep into your post? This can sometimes happen if you drag and drop a file into the editor. To check, click on the "AA" icon in the upper-right corner of the editor.

As long as you upload your photo it via the attachments system, it will show up right below your post so you don't need to worry about embedding it.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #19

Thank you, Adam. It works now.
But why the pic has been reduced to 130 KB (original - 1.09 Mb).
According to the Contest Rules, photo must be no larger than 1.5Mb in filesize.
Thus, 1.09 Mb file should be accepted without problem, shouldn't it?

01-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thank you, Adam. It works now.
But why the pic has been reduced to 130 KB (original - 1.09 Mb).
According to the Contest Rules, photo must be no larger than 1.5Mb in filesize.
Thus, 1.09 Mb file should be accepted without problem, shouldn't it?
Your photo probably exceeded the maximum attachment dimensions of 1280x800. If you don't want our system to scale your photo, make sure the resolution is within that range.

Adam

01-11-2015, 02:41 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Your photo probably exceeded the maximum attachment dimensions of 1280x800. If you don't want our system to scale your photo, make sure the resolution is within that range.

Well, I just followed the guideline:
QuoteQuote:
Official Rules for PentaxForums.com Monthly Photo Contests
Please follow these guidelines when submitting entries for our monthly photo contests.
QuoteQuote:

... The photo dimensions must be between 300x300 and 1400x1200 pixels
... To ensure smooth loading, photo must be no larger than 1.5Mb in filesize
(WxH)
Tried to upload an photo of 1200x800, 948 KB. As the attachment 138.0 KB. It's getting funny.
01-11-2015, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Tried to upload an photo of 1200x800, 948 KB. As the attachment 138.0 KB. It's getting funny.
If you look at the attachment uploader, you'll also see a 900Kb limit there. I know the site compression might be frustrating to you, but there's no reason a file with such a low resolution should occupy that more than that- even if you're using 90-95% quality.

There is one workaround (assuming you want to keep the file the way it currently is). Head over to the gallery, upload it there, and then simply embed the original in your contest submission post. The gallery always keeps an unscaled, uncompressed copy of your upload and you can access it by clicking on the big thumbnail.

Adam

01-11-2015, 03:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hello Adam, sorry if I missed that somewhere but are composite images ( stitches ) allowed - film or digital - both or none ?

thanks!
01-11-2015, 05:08 AM   #24

...There is one workaround (assuming you want to keep the file the way it currently is). Head over to the gallery, upload it there, and then simply embed the original in your contest submission post. The gallery always keeps an unscaled, uncompressed copy of your upload and you can access it by clicking on the big thumbnail.
It's done. Thanks Adam!
01-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
hello Adam, sorry if I missed that somewhere but are composite images ( stitches ) allowed - film or digital - both or none ?

thanks!
As long as both were taken in 2014, yes

Adam

01-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

As long as both were taken in 2014, yes
great, thanks ! might give it a go :P
01-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #27

Submitted mine!

I submitted an image for the best of 2014 and I hope I did it correctly.

Do we not get to see who all has submitted? I was wanting to see everyone's favorite shots.

Gina
01-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ginamaria Quote
I submitted an image for the best of 2014 and I hope I did it correctly.

Do we not get to see who all has submitted? I was wanting to see everyone's favorite shots.

Gina
They'll become visible once the contest closes to submissions. Your post looks good!

Adam

01-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #29

They'll become visible once the contest closes to submissions. Your post looks good!
Thanks Adam! Glad I did it right. lol

Gina
01-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #30

Went ahead and submitted. Can't wait to see everyone's best photos of the year, good luck to all!
Closed Thread