Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
moon lit star trail
Contest Number: 102 Contest Theme: Moonscape Lens: auto sears mc 28mm Camera: K-50 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: Aaron28, 02-01-2015, 07:28 PM

53 frames 25 second exposure at 26 second intervals using the built in intervalometer on the K-50 (sweet feature!)....200iso
looking northwest at monte sano state park, the city of Huntsville on the other side of the mountain
this was actually a scouting expedition if it was 'dark' enough to get star trails so close to town fortunately the clouds were thin enough to catch some stars and look forward to a clear night to shoot from this location again

Attached Images

Views: 1,423
08-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow Aaron this is cool stuff. I did not see this before because it was before my joining.
08-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
cool stuff
thanks! appreciate ya taking the time to check this out
08-19-2015, 05:35 AM   #4

Aaron,

I've seen this done before, but had no idea how to accomplish it. Thanks for sharing the "method" behind such creative madness.

I'm actually a Southern Boy (from Mississippi), and I've been up to Huntsville with our Boy Scout troop (a million years ago) to visit the NASA center there. When we camped out on the property, I had juvenile visions of being an astronaut. This image caused me to pause once again while those memories resurfaced, and to think about that dream in a whole new way. [ See what you did? ]

After an incredibly long hiatus in my photography, I finally made the decision to go digital, putting aside the 30+ year-old Pentax SuperProgram and the early version bayonet mount lenses. I almost shed a tear over that, yet my heart rejoices in the new-found capabilities of the DSLR and automatic lenses. I want you to know that your photo has made me determine to capture something similar here in Fulton, MO. That way, I can "impress the natives" with an awe-inspiring shot. (Mostly, I want my wife to see I'm putting the new gear to use, and the money wasn't wasted. That way, she'll see it as a bargain. She likes bargains.)

Anyway, thanks for the helfpul tips, and my God bless you abundantly in all you do!
TJW

08-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
hahaha! that's great to return to earlier times! hope ya held onto those old bayonets! as the 28/2.8 is great for night sky/startrail pics! it takes a few times to get a good feel and results.......took me awhile as in getting a intervalometer and a good stacking program......started with deepskystacker but get far better results using starstax!
here's a link to starstax
Software - StarStaX
thanks a lot for checking out the picture and taking the time to say something about it! your reaction is pretty cool and flattering
Aaron
holler if ya got questions about getting startrails be glad to share what I can
08-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would like to say I reviewed some of your photos and they are cool. Really good stuff.
08-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
reviewed some of your photos
thank you planetj! appreciate ya taking the time to find them (not even sure I could find where I posted them!) and most of all to say something! it's really cool
Aaron

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 09:30 PM ----------

I found how to find them through my profile! can find yours too......neat