Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Theme: Contest #22, June, 2008
Posted By: Adam, 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM

The theme for the PentaxForums.com June Photo Contest is:

Wide Angle Portraits

Break out your seldom used kit lenses and fisheyes for this one and take a picture of your significant other, best friend or favorite pet. 25mm and under focal length is required for this contest.

As usual, plase do not post your submissions as replies to this thread! Make a new thread in the submission sub-forum instead!

If this is your first contest, you may be interested in reading the following articles:

Contest Procedure | Contest Rules

Good luck to all participants!

(The poll for the May contest will be posted shortly.)
Views: 7,222
06-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This challenge isn't going to be easy for me. Seems anything under 25mm ends up making my subject look distorted. I'm going to have to really work to get a submission for this challenge. I've learned I prefer a longer portrait shot, it is much more flattering to my subjects.

06-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A silly little millimeter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Dang... recently took the perfect shot for this but it was 26mm.... what a difference a "silly millimeter" can make. LOL

And if anyone can tell me the significance of that quote, the next time we meet, lunch is on me...
IIRC, Benson & Hedges, a British cigarette brand, cleverly marketed their cigarettes in a 100mm length rather than the traditional 72mm filtered length, in order to break into the US market.

Their TV ads centered on the disadvantages of the extra length, as the end of the cigarette was closed in car windows at toll booths, in elevator doors, broken against glass building doors, etc.

Other brands' marketers countered by bringing out their own 100mm cigarettes.

To regain their length advantage, B&H made a 101mm cigarette - a "A silly little millimeter longer."

That became a cultural catch-phrase, similar to "Whassup" or "I love 'ya, man" from more recent beer ads.

If you can't figure out the meaning of the millimeter - well, I don't know what to tell you.

P.S. - I'll be in Richmond and DC in August - drat, I'm third!!!
06-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Seems anything under 25mm ends up making my subject look distorted.
Distortion under 25mm? Whatever do you mean? This was taken with a 17mm.

It looks right to me...

woof!
<ducking and grinning>
06-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

It looks right to me...

woof!
<ducking and grinning>
Hey, that actually is a cool portrait! Does your subject know you posted it here? Tell her she's a good sport and looks great at 17mm which is quite a feat!

06-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Hey, that actually is a cool portrait! Does your subject know you posted it here? Tell her she's a good sport and looks great at 17mm which is quite a feat!
She's actually a very pretty girl. Yes, she knows about this. We had a great laugh over this. Let's just say that this does not really do her justice.

woof!
06-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DuckysDoll Quote
Im new! LOL!
If the picture was taken with the kit lens, then it is good to post a picture for the contest?! =)
Welcome!

If it is a "portrait" and it was taken at a focal length under 25mm, yes, by all means. Do not post in this thread. Post it in the Contest Submission thread. To learn more, read the furst post in this thread and it should explain all...

woof!
06-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Doing portraits with anything shorter that 70 mm is against my principles. A portrait with 25 mm is less than flattering for the model, to put it mildly.

06-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Gonna be some interesting medium-format images in this comp.

What if I shoot a portrait on a 28mm lens on film? That's 18.666666666666666666mm in digital, right? Does it qualify?
06-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Terje-L Quote
Doing portraits with anything shorter that 70 mm is against my principles. A portrait with 25 mm is less than flattering for the model, to put it mildly.
I missed the time frame. I do have some portraits that I could have entered but time got away from me. An environmental portrait is often taken "pushed in and wide" in the words of Scott Kelby. He points out how often it is used in magazine portrait photography. It isn't easy though! I still like my portraits on the long end.
07-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

It looks right to me...

woof!
<ducking and grinning>
Then how about these two?

11mm:

10mm:
Closed Thread