Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Patches
Contest Number: 110 Contest Theme: Colorful Lens: DA 50mm Camera: K-30 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: Pewter, 10-17-2015, 12:32 PM

Teochew for most Chinese means a dialect or language, a people, a clan, a culture, cuisine, a rich history and very colorful traditions. One of the finest of these is Teochew Chinese Opera in which fabulous tales from the past are re-enacted and accompanied by a tiny orchestra. And this also is where we might expect to find a clown.
Views: 1,171
11-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nominate
11-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pewter Quote

Teochew for most Chinese means a dialect or language, a people, a clan, a culture, cuisine, a rich history and very colorful traditions. One of the finest of these is Teochew Chinese Opera in which fabulous tales from the past are re-enacted and accompanied by a tiny orchestra. And this also is where we might expect to find a clown.
Doesn't seem a likely candidate to be a clown. But Western ideas and eyes differ from those of the Chinese.
11-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jackinkc Quote
Doesn't seem a likely candidate to be a clown. But Western ideas and eyes differ from those of the Chinese.
Good observation. For the record that's a wooden drumstick he's holding in his hand (bamboo maybe) for pounding on the brass plate as needed.

Not sure how good the translation I heard but understand he's a two-bit actor playing certain two-bit roles in certain tales where he's generally a scoundrel in disguise who soon meets with rough justice.

---------- Post added 2015-11-02 at 15:37 ----------

Good observation. For the record that's a wooden drumstick he's holding in his hand (bamboo maybe) for pounding on the brass plate as needed.

Not sure how good the translation I heard but understand he's a two-bit actor playing certain two-bit roles in certain tales where he's generally a scoundrel in disguise who soon meets with rough justice.
In the west (and I think that's a false dichotomy), clowns may be equal parts good evil comic happy and sad. So in fairness this clown is no different from his western counterparts in a dramatic sense. But seeing that fellow actors are all traditionally costumed his appearance on stage is all the more shocking and I suspect there is more than a subtle hint in his costume at 'Western Barbarians'

---------- Post added 2015-11-02 at 15:47 ----------

Last of all... if you see weariness age and sadness in his droopy eyes, sagging shoulders and wizened skin you are not mistaken. This is an art form on the brink of extinction and no one knows who will come after. Kids nowadays "only care" for the latest fashions and phones

Last edited by Pewter; 11-02-2015 at 12:48 AM.
11-02-2015, 12:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The idea that this man frequently plays roles that end in "rough justice" certainly can account for his "rode hard and put away wet" appearance. I'd LOVE to see him act.

A western clown playing an evil part inspires fear. I wonder if this is true of a Chinese clown.
11-02-2015, 03:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The idea that this man frequently plays roles that end in "rough justice" certainly can account for his "rode hard and put away wet" appearance. I'd LOVE to see him act.

A western clown playing an evil part inspires fear. I wonder if this is true of a Chinese clown.
I am sure it does.. he is. The idea of someone who is Not what he appears to be is always a bit unnerving and destabilizing. It's a pity I don't know him better, somehow I think he is rather complicated
11-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I like it. Not just "colourful" as in full of colour but also full of character.

11-02-2015, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Logics Quote
I like it. Not just "colourful" as in full of colour but also full of character.
Thank you Logics. Good will eventually triumph over evil. But somebody sometimes gotta be the bad guy
11-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter

And that's not always bad/ Being the bad guy brings rewards known only to adherents of the old gods - Fire, Phlegm, Water, Wind, Trees, Sun, Moon and the Four Cardinal Directions. Not to even mention Thor, Odin an Loki.
11-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And that's not always bad/ Being the bad guy brings rewards known only to adherents of the old gods - Fire, Phlegm, Water, Wind, Trees, Sun, Moon and the Four Cardinal Directions. Not to even mention Thor, Odin an Loki.
In the same way Shakespeare for example divided his plays into 'Acts', Chinese Operas are divided into parts each called a 'Wayang'. Similarly when the government here makes an elaborate show of promises, its called a Wayang
11-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #11

colourful personnage......
11-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaq68 Quote
colourful personnage......
Yes thank you jaq68. I liked how Logics put it -- colorful person and colorful character
11-10-2015, 04:23 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
What an enchanting capture. Makes me think of all the various stories the person has, underneath the mask of a clown.
11-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by staxandy Quote
What an enchanting capture. Makes me think of all the various stories the person has, underneath the mask of a clown.
Yes indeed Staxandy. I mean to visit with his troupe a few more times, there is a story here to tell, I am certain