Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Contest #113 - January, 2016 (Composite - K-50 Prize!)
Posted By: Ole, 01-03-2016, 05:36 AM

The theme for the official Pentax Forums photo contest for January, 2016 is:

Composite

For this month's contest the theme is "Composite". You image must be a composite of two or more exposures, but you are free to select the subject. The final image can be created in-camera (multi-exposure or interval composite) or in post processing as you see fit. Be prepared to explain the steps you took to create the final image.

Note that for the purpose of this contest, HDR photos and stitched panoramas are not going to be considered composites. For your photo to be considered a composite, at least two frames have to overlap in some way, and those frames must differ in terms of composition.

Click here to Submit a Photo

Remember: your submission must be taken with a Pentax camera or a Ricoh digital camera and be scaled to web-friendly resolution. After clicking on the link above attach your photo using our attachment system (preferred) or link to an external image. 1 submission per person.

And don't forget to nominate your favorites from last month

Prizes

1st place: Pentax K-50 DSLR body + homepage feature
2nd place: $50 B&H Photo gift card
3rd place:
1-year premium forum account upgrade
4th place: 50 sheets of premium photo paper from Red River Paper.

LinksInformation

If this is your first contest, you may be interested in reading the guidelines below:

Views: 19,442
01-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
You image must be a composite of two or more exposures, but you are free to select the subject.
And of course that should have read: YOUR image...

01-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vankasteelj Quote
I have trouble understanding the theme. "You image must be a composite of two or more exposures". English isn't my first language, could someone explain "composite" and "exposure"?
composite is two or more pictures.
exposure is a photograph.
A double exposure may qualify.
01-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #33

01-26-2016, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As an enthusiast on a budget, I do not have PS and I'm not comfortable enough with GIMP to product anything of quality...
I'll be composing an image from 3 exposures using ArtRage on my Fiance's computer.

Hopefully that's acceptable?

01-26-2016, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
As an enthusiast on a budget, I do not have PS and I'm not comfortable enough with GIMP to product anything of quality...
I'll be composing an image from 3 exposures using ArtRage on my Fiance's computer.

Hopefully that's acceptable?
- Load in GIMP the image you would consider to be the background;
- Import the second image as a new layer;
- Tune the opacity of the layer as you like. or blend the two as you like (you can separately rotate any layer at any degree).
- Eventually, save the project for another time and switch to ArtRage but be careful to preserve the EXIF.
01-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #36
Inactive Account

how can i know if my submission has been accepted? i submitted but don't know how to check.
01-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It has been accepted. No worries, it's there.

01-29-2016, 05:28 AM   #38
Inactive Account

thanks.
01-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The theme for the official Pentax Forums photo contest for January, 2016 is:

Composite

For this month's contest the theme is "Composite". You image must be a composite of two or more exposures, but you are free to select the subject. The final image can be created in-camera (multi-exposure or interval composite) or in post processing as you see fit. Be prepared to explain the steps you took to create the final image.

Click here to Submit a Photo

Remember: your submission must be taken with a Pentax camera or a Ricoh digital camera and be scaled to web-friendly resolution. After clicking on the link above attach your photo using our attachment system (preferred) or link to an external image. 1 submission per person.

And don't forget to nominate your favorites from last month

Prizes

1st place: Pentax K-50 DSLR body + homepage feature
2nd place: $50 B&H Photo gift card
3rd place:
1-year premium forum account upgrade
4th place: 50 sheets of premium photo paper from Red River Paper.

LinksInformation

If this is your first contest, you may be interested in reading the guidelines below:
Submitted a photo (well, three in my post, the finished and the two used to composite). I hope that I did it correctly.
01-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Submitted a photo (well, three in my post, the finished and the two used to composite). I hope that I did it correctly.
Nope. Only one photo supposed to be uploaded. I've deleted your thread there, so you need to upload the completed composite only. Try again.

Per the rules;(One photo per user please)
01-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
(multi-exposure or interval composite) or in post processing
Using a process to transform photos from what was captured in a camera either to be closer to what our eyes saw, or to alter the image artistically. There is another contemporary term that is used synonymously with post-processing very frequently. In fact, as of 1992, the verb “photoshop” was formally added to the English dictionary because of how frequently it is used as a term in place of “post-processing”. So here is how Merriam-Webster defines “photoshop”: Words used from another photography web site, Jeff Harmon

So I would figure editing is ok for this contest. As long as all images used are from Pentax cameras and only images with exif info should be used.
01-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #42

This is a tricky contest. Here is a single exposure using a plastic Halloween mask, a dark room, and a disco strobe light, long 3 sec exposure and a quick move aft in-between strobe flashes. The image looks like a edited composite, or a in camera double exposure. But it is not. It is one long exposure after moving the camera aft and collecting light during the 2nd strobe, I simply covered the lens with a cardboard stock much like photographers did back in very early days of photography. So one could say while in a dark room, each strobe of the strobe light flash could be looked at as a exposure. because an exposure is simply every single cycle and cycle of light striking a medium film/CCD
Attached Images

01-30-2016, 02:56 AM   #43

Thanks!
01-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #44

I've submitted my entry about two hours ago, but now I cannot access it.
Could someone tell me, was my entry accepted or not?
01-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No special rules for this contest, so film as well as digital photos are allowed. All metadata fields are optional.

January 31st.
Hi Adam, I've already submitted an entry, but have since had a better idea. Can I send you my new submission? If not no worries!