Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
experimental stereoscopy
Contest Number: 113 Contest Theme: Composite Lens: Helios 44-K maybe Camera: K-5 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F2 
Posted By: Arvid, 01-07-2016, 08:14 AM

This was actually just an experiment to see if I could use the camera's double exposure function to create a cross-view stereo picture.
Technically and artistically this isn't the greatest achievement (high, noisy ISO, bland composition, random object, etc.), but give it a try, I think the effect is rather cool. It allows you to discover all the small details like the rough edge where the bottle was cut, water spots, dust, the wood of the clamps etc. in all their glory. In the end, these imperfections make the picture for me. I hope you like it, too.

Here comes the lengthy description of the details:

The point is to use your left eye to focus on the bottle on the right side of the picture and use your right eye to look at the left hand bottle/lamp. You can do this by crossing your eyes slightly. In total you'll see four bottles (as in double vision). Try to align the bottles in the center by adjusting your cross eyed look. You don't have to force it too hard. If it's exhausting you or you even get a headache from doing it, it's a sign that you are trying way too hard and should give it a break. Give it a slight cross-eye and snap! the images of the bottle will align and give you a three dimensional impression of the whole thing. As soon as the pictures align, you can relax and your brain will automate that cross-eyed look to stay in 3D-vision (you archaic thing, you!).

I made this picture without much preparation (could have cleaned the bottle, at least!), hand held. The tricky part was the composition as I had to be sure that the image that was supposed to be looked at with the left eye would appear in the right half of the picture. I dialed in the double exposure feature on my camera, made sure I was at a good distance from the lampshade and took a picture of the lamp using my left eye to compose and focus. Then, for the second picture, I tried not to change my distance, but recomposed looking through the viewfinder with my right eye. Just to be sure, I moved a little bit further to the right to make sure that the effect would be noticeable.

As for the colors, I simply went with a randomly created in camera cross process-profile that I like to use (and saved. I really like that feature) and didn't PP this image at all.

I went for the cross view-approach as it seems to work for me. Some people prefer the parallel view method, but for some reason it doesn't really trick my brain. I am somewhat fascinated by this whole stereoscopic idea and bought myself a pentax stereo adapter (which has its drawbacks, like vignetting, not being able to really get up close to what you want to take a picture of, etc. - still a fun thing!) some time ago, but this time I wanted to try something else. Through all that playing around with cross view images and looking up stuff like this on the internet, I trained myself so that the cross eye-approach became second nature.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Arvid; 01-07-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Views: 874
02-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 3-D image has a nice feel to it. Nominated
02-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good 3D. I am impressed.
02-09-2016, 02:14 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thank you both!

02-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if I want to nominate the image but I do want to nominate the technique.
02-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #6

very interesting! nominated
02-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very well done! With only a few seconds viewing I was able to merge the two images into one obviously 3-D version.