Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Shiva and Parvati
Contest Number: 119 Contest Theme: Weather Lens: DA 40mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Dan R, 01-26-2016, 03:11 PM

Performing artists Thoth and Lila'Angelique in the guise of Hindu deities. Composite of four photos.

Views: 647
02-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #2

Nominated! Simultaneously ancient and contemporary. Brilliantly creative use of composite as a concept to bring alive this myth which I have only seen as painting and sculpture -- this becomes a hybrid of photography, digital collage, and painting worthy of an exhibit in the Rubin Museum of Art, which celebrates the imagery, history, and sacred traditions of India, Tibet, and other neighboring regions. In addition to the beautiful use of color, Shiva's expression really captures the strength and also the pain and meditative solitude of his character, and Parvati's gentle, yet sparkling determination comes through as she approaches.

The image made me want to research more about the story which added another layer to enjoying the photograph. While Parvati is a manifestation of Shakti, Saraswati, goddess of music, arts, and knowledge is another manifestation which is symbolized by the violins, and the flowers in her hair are reminiscent of the manifestation of Lakshmi with lotus which creates the Hindu trinity of Shakti. The transformation of Thoth into Shiva is interesting too, because in ancient Egypt, Thoth is the moon god, and Shiva is often depicted with a crescent moon on his head.

What I love about the way the blue was added is that the skin seems to glow from within. And the pinks and reds harmonize beautifully with the blues and gold -- in that sense, it's like a study of primary colors with a tinted and metallic twist. The parallel diagonals of the bows is wonderful, and I also like the stylized scales -- having Parvati smaller than Shiva. Not only exquisite visually, but it will keep me thinking on many levels. Bravo!

Last edited by tsfiddle; 02-05-2016 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Still thinking about the photograph...
02-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

love the Shiva and Parvati composition!
02-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
like it ... nominated for the January "Composite" photo contest ...

02-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nominated .its very good
02-12-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

What a pleasant coincidence. The world is really small. I saw these two artists in Central Park in late November. Very nice performance, really cool.
Excellent composition.
Nominated.