Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"A dawn at Inberen' lake"
Contest Number: 113 Contest Theme: Composite Lens: DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL Camera: K-01 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: tsinik55, 01-30-2016, 08:35 AM

Hello everyone!
Since my (t)rusty K-01 has died, and as long as rules allow using more than two exposures AND external processing - I think I'll give it a try.

Here it is: "A dawn at Inberen' lake". Shot with Pentax K-01 and Pentax DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL, on a tripod.
It's a stack of 120 photos (exposures) combined in Photoshop, with lower part of the image (water and trees) cut from a single photo to emphasize smoothness and color of the sky.

The entire process is described in this giveaway, but here I'll try to explain in detail.

First, set your camera firmly on a tripod to avoid shaking. Switch to "Manual" or "A"perture priority mode, set ISO and Aperture settings (f8 is usually enough) and compose your frame.
I prefer using manual focus, to give myself more control over the resulting image.

Second, go to the built-in intervalometer and tinker a bit with its settings. Set a total frame number to a minimum of 60 frames (120 or more is recommended), and set the interval between frames to 1 second. If the weather is calm and wind is not very strong - you can set it to 2 seconds, but remember: the smaller the interval - the smoother the final image is.

Start the intervalometer and wait for it to finish its job. If you shoot in DNG, the resulting stack will be about several hundred megabytes or several gigabytes in size. JPGs will be much smaller, but they're not very good in post-processing.

Then, it's up to you. You can load the entire stack in Lightroom for post-processing, or load them right into PS and post-process later. If you're using DNG - be warned: a good amount of RAM and fast CPU is recommended if you wish to do a high-resolution image. If the quality not an issue - just convert .DNG to .JPGs, or use JPGs from the start. As for myself - I prefer to use Lightroom first, but the resulting stack in TIFF is around 150-200 Gb... a VERY time-consuming to work with. You can see my stack here, if you wish - along with the resulting images.

In Photoshop, load all photos from the stack as layers: "File" > "Scripts" > "Load Files into Stack". Select all layers and set their blending mode to "Lighten". In old PS versions it's impossible to set blending mode for all layers at once, so it should be done for each layer by hand (again, extremely time-consuming if your stack has 120-200 layers)

After that, flatten the whole image or export it as JPG of TIFF. Post-process it according to your taste and... that's all!

As I said, I'm not the author of this technique. I do not remember where I found it, but it's a great thing to try and to experiment with.

p.s. Another fun thing (as I see it) is to take a short video (about several seconds) with a fast-moving objects and import it in Photoshop: "File" > "Import" > "Video Frames to Layers".
I never tried to do that, but I think the results should be very interesting too

p.p.s. Here's the direct link to the image: http://i.imgur.com/7ELYwwz.jpg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by tsinik55; 02-01-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach the image
Views: 470