Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lamp Ballet
Contest Number: 116 Contest Theme: Lamps Lens: Sigma 70-200mm f2 8 ex dg os hsm Camera: Pentax K-5 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Pete_XL, 04-12-2016, 11:17 AM

Little flies and fat moths dance under a floodlight at a night beach in Spain while a little bat drops in for dinner. 50hz frequency of the light results in a strobe effect.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 317
05-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a sucker for these kinds of shots. A bit like a moth to the flame.

I think you are wrong about the strobe effect. Wings tend to pause in one area on the down stroke so that causes the pulsing effect.
05-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
I'm a sucker for these kinds of shots. A bit like a moth to the flame.

I think you are wrong about the strobe effect. Wings tend to pause in one area on the down stroke so that causes the pulsing effect.
The wings produce some kind of "helical" trace. The "strobe effect" is not as obvious in this picture as it is in others. Other pictures that contain more bats show a regular brown stripe pattern on all of the wings paths that is idependent of the wings ppsitions. You only see one of the stripes in this picture here. The effect shows also in the spur of the moth that is flying nearly horizontally. When I noticed the pattern in the first of the images under the lamp I filmed the lamp with 240 fps with my IPhone and could easyly identify a heavy flickering that explains the effect.

Perhaps it shows better here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/18-monthly-photo-contests/308848-starwars-chase.html

Last edited by Pete_XL; 05-01-2016 at 10:53 PM. Reason: grammatics
05-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
nominated!