Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which photo should be the overall contest winner?
#1 6814.05%
#2 112.27%
#3 285.79%
#4 6212.81%
#5 408.26%
#6 5010.33%
#7 377.64%
#8 112.27%
#9 275.58%
#10 122.48%
#11 173.51%
#12 5511.36%
#13 255.17%
#14 255.17%
#15 163.31%
Voters: 484. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
VOTE NOW: December 2018 "Lights" Contest Finalists
Posted By: Adam, 01-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Please vote for the overall winner from among the choices below:

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.

Views: 7,453
01-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #46

Number 7 represent the Christmas spirit the most for me. But # 9, 12, 13 could have a place on my wall too...

01-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found it really difficult to choose a favourite. They are all so good!
01-22-2019, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #48

Photos: Gallery
# 12
01-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I think Titia has a very valid point. Those are two superb images. The whole field is an incredibly praise worthy one! But we have to settle on only one of them...pity...
I will go with #12 though, for the highlights, and just because I love trains...

Excellent work everyone!

01-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
You really set the table for this photo. It looked as if the tracks closest to the station could have been used in the past year, but infrequently. And your personal experience riding these rails personalizes it.
thanks Again so much mroeder75 Greatly Appreciate you comments and feedback , have to say my good Wife was with me that evening and we both enjoyed this some what of a production of a shoot ,which was preplanned ,had a vision in my head , this is what drives me with my photography, I'm always trying to think outside the box ! was hoping for the light snow that evening, forecasted , but it did finally snow on our hour drive back home , however there was almost a full moon that evening which played a big part In adding some light behind the clouds .
01-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #51

#3 is my choice
01-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #52

Wow... Just... Wow.

01-23-2019, 01:06 AM   #53
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful work from all of the entrants. How do we choose just one?

Still, that's the point... so my vote goes for #13.
01-23-2019, 04:46 AM   #54

My vote is for #14
01-23-2019, 07:27 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

#10 the best
01-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #56
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Please vote for the overall winner from among the choices below:

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.
I vote photo for Nr.6
01-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Most of that lot seem too "gimmicky" for me. Waay too saturated, too much postprocessing. Although one might use a photograph as a "canvas" for his artistic use of software, the result is artistic use of software, not photography. Lots of whizz-bang doesn't improve a photograph, because what one notices is the whizz-bang, not the subject. Ok, these mostly had lots of great whizz-bang, and I do appreciate that skill. But post-processing (and especially that which messes with hue, saturation etc.) should be thought of like a ladie's makeup, or like theatrical lighting for a play - if you notice it, it's too much; if it exemplifies the beauty of the subject, it's good. If you're watching a play and thinking about how good the lighting is, then you've missed the play.
QuoteOriginally posted by BobL Quote
---------- Post added 01-22-2019 at 05:49 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Sorry, but I have to disagree. If you shoot in Jpeg the camera is already doing the processing for you, the way that it thinks the image should look. Shooting in RAW you get a pure rendition of the basic photo which you can then interpret as per your vision. Do you really think that a painting is a true rendition of what was there, or an interpretation of how the artist saw it. Photographers are no less the artist, post processing is an integral part of photography, it's not cheating it's a matter of using the skills that have been learned to create the image of your vision. No disrespect intended, but an artist exercising their skills is in my experience more often criticised by those who don't have the skills or are too afraid to step out of their comfort zone to learn something new. As for watching a play & enjoying the lighting, it's mostly the lighting that creates the mood & reinforces the actors skills, without the dramatic or subtle lighting being applied half of the atmosphere would be lost.
I understand what dlh is saying, but I have to agree with BobL. If you were shooting with film, you could control your image's appearance not only with lens choice, aperture, and shutter speed, but also with the film itself and how much you under- or over-expose it. And lighting, too, if you weren't relying on ambient light. And development: the choice of developer, temperature, time the film spends in it, how much agitation you use. . . . And the printing process, too--paper type, chemicals, time. . . . Those choices are analogous to those in so many other visual art forms. Even the choice to use a film, development, and printing that produces an image that appears "natural" is an artistic choice requiring knowledge, experience, and skill. In other words, it's an artistic choice.

That said, there are a number of images in this batch that I don't care for. I think there are times each of us sees an image and thinks, "If I were making that image, I would have . . ."--cropped it differently, used a wider aperture for more bokeh, shifted the plane of focus a bit, used more contrast in post, used less contrast, made the image cooler (or warmer), used cross-processing effects . . . the list goes on and on. So I can understand why dlh may not like some of the images.

Sometimes images strike me as cliches, and that keeps me from appreciating them as much as another viewer would. It's the same in other art, too: so many songs have lyrics with cliched imagery, whatever. Movies, too. Art, too.

My son plays Magic: the Gathering, a game in which there are close to 20,000 cards available from over 25 years of the game. So much of the artwork on the cards looks similar to me, partly because at some point, the art directors decided to go with a more unified look. But my favorite artist is Drew Tucker, whose impressionist works stand out from the vast majority of the other art. (I also like Rebecca Guay's art, and that of Quinten Hoover, though their art is very different than Tucker's.) My son doesn't like Tucker's art that much, preferring more detail in the artwork on an MTG card, and most of the Magic players today don't appreciate Tucker's art as much as I do, either. That doesn't make it worse than the other art, any more than my liking it makes it any better. It's a matter of taste.

On the other hand, I don't think it's all a matter of taste. Some artists, whatever the medium, have more skill or more talent than others, and it shows. That's true for photography as well as poetry and songwriting and painting and . . . well, everything. Heck, it's true for math, science, and engineering, too. And then there's the matter of artistic vision, too.

As far as lighting in a theatre production goes, I like the way my wife (who's also a playwright herself) watches plays. She wants to take it all in, experience the moment as it happens (and every performance is different to some degree, even of the same play by the same company on successive nights), enjoy it for what it is, and only later--say, after a week has passed--discuss the play with me or others. True, if you watch a play for the first time and are paying attention to the lighting rather than the play itself, it says something about you as a play-goer or the performance itself--and the latter could be attributable to acting, direction, set design, lighting, or oh so many other variables. But if you want to discuss a particular performance of a play intelligently and in detail, lighting is definitely on the table: it's as important in a production as it is in a photograph.

I've probably been too verbose on this topic. But I do think that skill in traditional and digital photography can be used to produce a wide range of images, and so much of that has to do with artistic vision. With traditional photography, that vision begins to assert itself in the choice of subject matter and film: Ektachrome, Sensia, Velvia, Kodachrome, Agfachrome, Ecktachrome Tungsten--each has its own characteristics, and the photographer chooses to utilize those characteristics based on subject matter, lighting, and the results desired. Negatives introduce even more choices. The methods to execute one's choices in the digital world are different, but the end results still highlight the photographer's vision (if the photographer feels he or she has succeeded, at any rate). We each respond differently for a myriad of reasons, but that doesn't make the artistic vision any less valid.
01-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We are spoiled for choice this month, several great entries.
01-24-2019, 03:10 AM   #59

A good standard of work in this selection.
I vote for number one, lovely tonal range.
Good luck.
01-27-2019, 12:54 AM   #60

#10's the one I'd hang on my wall...although there are several that "I wish I'd taken"! Good job, finalists!
Closed Thread