Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Busy Bee
Contest Number: 170 Contest Theme: Insects Lens: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5:6.3 ED PLM WR RE Camera: Pentax K-3 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Excalibor, 10-31-2020, 01:21 PM

It's hard to get insects in October, especially since after a very warm Summer, the Fall is being rather fresh. In the end, the wasps and butterflies weren't spectacular enough and the bee won. A very busy bee, indeed, apis mellifera. Fantastic little bugs, indeed.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 265
11-12-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A nice capture of the pollen sacks, but I'm wondering if it is a honey bee?
11-14-2020, 01:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! We don't have many types of bees in this region of Europe this late in the Fall so I'm quite sure it is a honey bee (most types of wild bees are dead or hybernating in October, except bumble bees). You can compare it with this amazing shot at Wikipedia: Apis mellifera - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

The angle is a bit hard, but you can see the eyes, the right front leg and the tongue sipping from the flower... Still, identifying hymenoptera species is a full time job, as there are so many of them! So I might be wrong, of course... It was amazing to watch her go from flower to flower and quite challenging to get a good pic, because the wind and the bee would make focusing really... interesting... :-)

In the end, I had a lot of fun with this impromptu model... :-D

Cheers!

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 01:59 AM ----------

Addeddum: almost 99% sure it is: Apis mellifera iberiensis - Wikipedia

Cheers!