#10 82.03%
#11 133.30%
#12 123.05%
#13 266.60%
#14 276.85%
#15 112.79%
Voters: 394. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
VOTE NOW - Photo Contest #192 Poll (Dramatic Sky - August 2022)
Posted By: Ole, 09-15-2022, 09:28 AM

Welcome to the poll for our August "Dramatic Sky" photo contest! Select the photo you think is the best from among our finalists below:

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.

Views: 3,579
09-15-2022, 11:26 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow! I just scrolled through and had a running commentary with myself. Each brings a unique experience. I think I will scroll through a few more times before I vote and see which one has more "wowing" factor over time. I don't know how else to decide at this time.
09-15-2022, 11:37 AM - 8 Likes   #3
mwm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I voted #1, looks less photoshopped to me from the others. I wish there were rules(which would be hard to enforce) as to limited amount of software editing. I realize some is needed but not to where the pictures look unrealistic. I am old school on editing, I think the photographer should know his cameras well enough to take less needed edited pictures. Just my opinion. Thanks
09-15-2022, 11:50 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mwm Quote
Well I voted #1, looks less photoshopped to me from the others. I wish there were rules(which would be hard to enforce) as to limited amount of software editing. I realize some is needed but not to where the pictures look unrealistic. I am old school on editing, I think the photographer should know his cameras well enough to take less needed edited pictures. Just my opinion. Thanks
Every month, like clockwork. . . . Sigh.

09-15-2022, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with mwm with editing. I think the only editing that should be allowed is cropping. Again question about enforcement. But this discussion should be continued in another section.
09-15-2022, 12:08 PM - 7 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, here's something that's not a "rule," but a rather strong suggestion for conduct in voting threads:
Proper Conduct

We ask that you do not comment on which photos you voted for within our voting threads.

Read more at: Contest Rules, Procedures, & How to Submit - PentaxForums.com
Personally, I wish this request were something forum members paid attention to.

Sigh.
09-15-2022, 12:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's hard to choose. There is a wide range of drama: interpretive, surreal, theatrical and natural.

09-15-2022, 12:47 PM   #8

I am partial to 7 and 8....ok it's 8
09-15-2022, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me there were a couple I missed in the nomination process where I had to ask myself how did I miss that one.
09-15-2022, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jmrsp Quote
I agree with mwm with editing. I think the only editing that should be allowed is cropping. Again question about enforcement. But this discussion should be continued in another section.
I agree totally with mwm and jmrsp on the photoshopping and editing, etc. Any altering should be limited to cropping. Anything else is NOT PHOTOGRAPHY in the pure sense, as far as I am concerned. I am of the old film, 35 mm slides, school where the shot was set up in the camera and locale at the time of pressing the button.
09-15-2022, 01:41 PM - 5 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Editing

I was at a competition judging recently where the judge made some interesting points which while controversial I mostly agreed with. I will try to paraphrase his points without commenting on which bits I agreed with and which I did not. The competition is for digital images, but he correctly guessed that it was originally for slides. Its current rules allow editing as long as it's to the whole image that is edited (no selective edits with the exception of removing sensor spots which is allowed).

The judge suggested that these restrictive rules had degraded the quality of entries. He explained a little more than I remembered that when slides were entered in competitions people with a chemistry background like him would float the emulsion off the base and "do things" with it that most photographers would not be able to do. He saw the restrictive rules of that time as levelling the playing field. Now with digital editing all types of image manipulation are democratised. Anyone can have a go. Of course that doesn't mean everyone will handle them well, but they have the opportunity to do so. He suggested that any photographer who does not edit images is not a photographer. I suppose this goes with the suggestion sometimes made when wet photography was the norm that those of us who had our prints made commercially were lesser photographers than those who worked in the darkroom, selecting papers, dodging and burning, posterizing, solarizing, re-touching, etc.
09-15-2022, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tl;dr: Let your vote show your opinion on processing.

I always vote for the one I like the most, often a difficult choice because so many are great. I never say which one I voted for, as is the rule but I will say that over processed images turn me right off. Despite this, many have won and some with such edits as added sunbursts and other in frame additions, and even a few I suspected had a patched in sky. I chalk it up to photography as art, afor art's sake and some edits, especially to abstract work did not look over processed and were just amazing. Enforcement of editing would be very limiting as light colors and sharpening often need a bit of work due to the sensor filters(AA etc.) in most of our cameras, Such edits certainly happened in my dad's dark room in the 70's, though most of his work was black and white(I.e. 1970 mcb5 album).

I get to vote because my color pushed mess didn't make the cut. :P
09-15-2022, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #13

These are all sooo good. Too bad only one can win.
09-15-2022, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Akumalian Quote
I agree totally with mwm and jmrsp on the photoshopping and editing, etc. Any altering should be limited to cropping. Anything else is NOT PHOTOGRAPHY in the pure sense, as far as I am concerned. I am of the old film, 35 mm slides, school where the shot was set up in the camera and locale at the time of pressing the button.
That's good in theory, but many pictures right off the camera seem to be slightly under-saturated and images on the computer don't match what I saw with my eyes. So I do some mild changes in contrast, saturation, color balance. The line between how you recall the scene and intentional dramatization is fuzzy, and depends on the editor, and viewer. Case in point - I thought #1 was more heavily edited than most.

---------- Post added 09-15-22 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Wow! I just scrolled through and had a running commentary with myself. Each brings a unique experience. I think I will scroll through a few more times before I vote and see which one has more "wowing" factor over time. I don't know how else to decide at this time.
I agree. I was scrolling down and said to myself, this is the winner. Then I'd scroll a little more and find the next winner. Then scroll a little more.
I'm going to have to come back to this.

Last edited by bogwalker; 09-15-2022 at 05:31 PM.
09-15-2022, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I'm with #2, it looks more natural to me