Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #1

K-S1 Grip Lights Query plus a couple of comments

I have been told that the Grip Lights can be switched off when not in selftimer mode, faces are detected and such like. A brief look at the manual has so far not been helpful. Can anyone assist.

Nice camera by the way. Would however have liked a grip much more like the K50/K3/ K5 etc.. I also found the near image of the main mode dial on the LCD screen a little disconcerting on first holding the camera. Having the main mode dial on the back of the camera is an original idea which will take some getting used to but the fact that the chosen mode lights up makes it a lot easier to confrim the setting, particularly for those without 100% vision like myself.

10-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am of the impression that all lights on the KS1 can be customizable (and turned off subsequently)
10-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I am of the impression that all lights on the KS1 can be customizable (and turned off subsequently)
There are some entries for the Grip Lamps in the Operating Manual PDF File.

Page 9 (Page 11 in the PDF file) Gives some information.

In the Settings Menu S3 on Page 24 (Page 26 of the PDF File) there is an entry for Indicator Lamps. Only the default settings are shown. It is possible that in the "Other Indicator Lamps" setting (default "High" there is something that might do it.

In the Custom Settings Menus on Pages 25/26 (Pages 27/28 of the PDF File) and the Main Menu on Pages 19/21 (Pages 21/23 of the PDF File) there appears to be nothing of relevance.

There are one or two other references relating to specific functions elsewhere in the Manual, but again none that I have found so far appear to be of relevance. It looks as if the Grip Lamps cannot be OFF when the camera is First Switched ON in Exposure Mode. They only go OFF for some selected Exposure Settings and when the camera is in Display Mode. I could however be wrong and there is something buried somewhere. I think some real handling of the camera is now needed. I have a reasonably friendly store in Glasgow, Scotland which might let me do it at a quiet time. On the other hand it might be better to wait for some serious reviews.

The PDF of the Manual can be found via the K-S1 Downloads Menu under the Ricoh Products Website. The UK address is:-
PENTAX K-S1 - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
10-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've played around with the camera in a shop and I can explain a few things.
- The lights activate when the camera is switched on for a few seconds. Then they are basically off while you are using the camera. I don't know if this was the default setting, but it was how the shop model was set when I tried it.
- I think the lights will flash as a warning if you switch on the camera without a memory card inserted.
- In CDAF mode, they illuminate one by one to count the number of faces detected in the image. This worked very quickly and reliably.
- In the self-timer mode, they count down for the final five seconds.
- In the menu, there is a screen that gives you three controls over the lights - brightness in steps (including completely off), self-timer on/off, remote control on/off (not sure what this does, maybe the face detection?)
- When the lights are not illuminated, all you can see is a very discreet silver line going up the camera
- The shutter light changes from green to red to indicate still or video mode. I couldn't immediately find a way to switch it off.
- The mode dial and OK button seem to be continuously illuminated and I couldn't see how to switch it off.

The following link is in Japanese, but it shows the menu screen I described and the video at the bottom shows what happens with the front lights when you switch the camera on.
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/pview/20140905_665412.html

10-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I've played around with the camera in a shop and I can explain a few things.

- The lights activate when the camera is switched on for a few seconds. Then they are basically off while you are using the camera. I don't know if this was the default setting, but it was how the shop model was set when I tried it.

The following link is in Japanese, but it shows the menu screen I described and the video at the bottom shows what happens with the front lights when you switch the camera on.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/pview/20140905_665412.html
The Japanese link seems to suggest it could be done in /Setup Menus 3 / Indicator Lamps / Other Indicator Lamps / Setting. As the Manual however only displays "High" it would have to be actually tried out for conclusive proof. Your reply does however give some hope to those of us who prefer discretion over display. Thankyou for it.

By the way, when I put the Japanese Screen through my translator to English its automatic language detection routine decided the original was in Haitian Creole!
10-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
- In the menu, there is a screen that gives you three controls over the lights - brightness in steps (including completely off), ...
Well, that's how you do it then, isn't it.
10-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lochness Quote
The Japanese link seems to suggest it could be done in /Setup Menus 3 / Indicator Lamps / Other Indicator Lamps / Setting. As the Manual however only displays "High" it would have to be actually tried out for conclusive proof. Your reply does however give some hope to those of us who prefer discretion over display. Thankyou for it.

By the way, when I put the Japanese Screen through my translator to English its automatic language detection routine decided the original was in Haitian Creole!
When I tried the camera, the first thing I did was change the language to English. The brightness control works exactly like the focus confirmation beep on other cameras. Once you have adjusted it to it's lowest level, the next step puts a red bar through the icon, indicating that it is completely off.