Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm waiting for reviews, and if good, then a healthy price drop.
The possibility for me is it replacing my seldom used K-5 and my much used K-01.
Like Rob said, I see it as a potential 01 upgrade, one with a VF and some of the K-3 innovations.

10-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #62
Pentaxian

I wish there was a smaller lighter body that does have weather seals. Smaller and lighter would mean easier to carry on rugged adventures, and on those adventures I sometimes make use of the sealing on my K-3 or K-5. Surely it can't add much bulk or weight but it's a "premium" feature so it doesn't wind up on these kinds of bodies. Too bad for me!
10-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the idea of this camera because I like the idea of small and light. It's nice that there are choices like this in cameras - not everyone has the same size and strength so why should cameras all be the same size and weight? I spent Saturday night shooting ballroom dancing with a K3 and DA16-50. I have nerve damage and by the end of the evening my hands were killing me, but using a Q for something like the lighting conditions would have been pretty useless. So I'm really interested in the K-S1, weight being such an issue for me. I am sure I'm not at all in the target audience for this camera, but I think it would offer me so many answers. I can live without the WR since I would keep the K3.

I wonder if there would be others who will think like this?
10-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sure, Mtngal. I'm not throwing my K-30 away. The K-x will probably be sent to retirement in a Florida condo, though. :-)

11-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #65
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Either choice is a good choice, depending on what you need (or want). The key is you.

If it were me and I didn't already have a K-3 (and wasn't holding my coins for something new next spring) I'd buy a K5IIs. But I like my cameras to have some mass. I don't understand the feather fetish.
when you are a tiny 100lbs then yeah weight does matter! lol
12-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #66

Lighter is better for older person

I sold my K-01 because of the lack of viewfinder. Seriously considering the K s1 because of the lighter weight and the addition of the viewfinder. Believe that will be perfect for me. Love the Pentax Forums.
12-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #67

Body of K-50 is great compared to K-S1. K-50 looks leather while K-S1 is plastic. The idea of LEDs in the grip, sensor without AA filter and AA simulator, is great. But the feeling is too amateur and too plastic which gives you a cheap feeling.
I would prefer same lightweight but leather coated and deeper grip would give me a feeling of more expensive camera. I prefer K-50

Last edited by Navajo; 12-08-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: addition
12-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #68

Thanks to all the negative reviews online, I got a new KS-1 for about $50 *cheaper* than the K-50. I don't mind not having weather sealing, since I won't be using WR lenses on it. (I take a good bit of pride in using vintage lenses, because I love vintage stuff and am more than happy to give new life to old glass.)

I do wish it had mirror lock-up, but so far that doesn't seem to be affecting my images. I have small hands, so the wheel thing is no problem for me. I definitely didin't buy it for it's UFO lights (they do turn off)! I think it gets a bit of a bad rap, personally. I will probably move on from the KS-1 sometime in the future, but until I outgrow it as a photographer, I'm happy with it. I'm surprised it's been so universally rejected, but then again, photography isn't a cheap hobby and feeling like you have a piece of craftsmanship in your hands is part of the experience. I suppose. (Don't ruin it for me lol!)

12-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sguerrero Quote

I do wish it had mirror lock-up, but so far that doesn't seem to be affecting my images.
2s delay gives you mirror up.

The K-S1 is really underrated ... same sensor as the K-S2, so great PQ, and only the Canon Sl-1 would be a smaller DSLR.

Many of my favourite pics of the year were taken with it ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/31...ml#post3467798

Last edited by clackers; 12-23-2015 at 03:09 PM.
12-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #70
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But with the K-S1, you give up several advanced features from the K-50 (or even the K-500, I believe):
  • composition adjustment,
  • intervalometer,
  • multi-exposure and even
  • electronic level.
Am I missing anything? I personally find it annoying that for newer models, Ricoh has been removing features that had previously been available in lower tier bodies. Even the K-01 has an intervalometer and multi-exposure capabilities... The K-S2 has three out of four BTW - it's missing composition adjustment.
12-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #71
Pentaxian

For me, I rarely use those features save e-level.

As mentioned, the K-S1 has the 20mp sensor which is supposed to be nice, though I personally can't vouch for that.

But I've gotten spoiled by top LCDs, two wheels, and rock-solid construction, so either of those cams would be a second body for me...
12-24-2015, 03:50 AM   #72
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
But I've gotten spoiled by top LCDs, two wheels, and rock-solid construction, so either of those cams would be a second body for me...
All the information I need is in the K-S1 viewfinder, where I want it to be. The features it is supposedly missing, such as a second wheel, level, tilty screen, top LCD, I don't miss at all.