Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
Imagine putting my 40mm Pancake on that camera. Now that's a walk-around! I am going to look at all of the different focal lengths I used on my more recent trips and see what type of shorter, higher quality zoom would work for me. I suspect all I really need would be the lovely 16-50. I used my zoom simply because it was the most convenient, even though I probably use dit at the wider end more than any other. I love my primes but use them more locally when I can pack them in the car.
The combination of the K-S1 and Tamron 17-50 would be a relatively light weight but high quality setup if you're looking for a shorter zoom.

10-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
The combination of the K-S1 and Tamron 17-50 would be a relatively light weight but high quality setup if you're looking for a shorter zoom.
Good suggestion! I will look into that lens. That DA 16-50 2.8 is on my wish list but it may be a while if I buy the camera first. I KNOW there are folks here that'll say buy the lens first, but...
10-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #48
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Good suggestion! I will look into that lens. That DA 16-50 2.8 is on my wish list but it may be a while if I buy the camera first. I KNOW there are folks here that'll say buy the lens first, but...
Don't do that, that is one big chunk of glass.
10-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Don't do that, that is one big chunk of glass.
I just looked at the comparative weight of the two. 15 oz on the Tamron, a whopping 1.25 lbs on the Pentax. Whoa! I know the quality of the Pentax will be better but from the reviews, the Tamron is rated relatively well. Such a huge price difference, too.

But first the camera! I want the K-S1 - In blue.

10-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And here is where I stumble. Is that 2-bit RAW difference going to make a big differerence in the end product? I'm not pro, but I do want to print now and then.

I think the extra bit depth matters more when you are trying to pull details out of the shadows which appear black on your screen and the highlights that appear white. Otherwise I think 12-bit sampling is huge. That's 2^12 shades of red plus 2^12 shades of green plus 2^12 shades of blue.
10-09-2014, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #51

The K-S1 is brand new in the market (therefore also the high prize) without much dedicated reviews. Always good to wait for reviews. For brand new equipment a premium prize is paid, you could check the K-3 prize evolution for reference.

A lot of people here in that forum seem to drive their DSLR to the shoot out. That is not common practise for everybody. :-).

If size is what matters, it appears a better choice compared to the K-50. How small it is you could check here (comparison to the Canon EOS 100D and to the Olympus OM-D E-M10):

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Compare camera dimensions side by side

The main competitor to the K-S1 seem to be the Canon EOS 100D (or EOS Rebel SL1 how it is called in the US) and the Nikon D3300. And in that respect, the Specs of the K-S1 are better in a lot of areas.

The canon has received a lot of very positive attention with a Gold Award on depreview. It may be worthwhile to read that review to get a feeling which way Pentax probably would like to go with the K-S1:

Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1): Digital Photography Review

"With everything a family photographer is likely to want and little left over to intimidate, the Canon EOS Rebel SL1 may be Canon's best-targeted digital Rebel to date. As the top end of the Rebel line - currently the T5i - added more and more enthusiast features, the camera got bigger and more complex, and the SL1/100D stands as a suitable alternative without much compromise where it matters. Indeed, it currently stands as the better alternative for those who want to shoot in live view mode, and for anyone who thinks they'll want to shoot a movie now and then, thanks to Hybrid AF II. Image quality is also uncompromised, as we've come to expect from the Rebel line.

Its smaller size and lighter weight make it easier to pack and carry, meaning the Canon SL1 is more likely to be used, and its fuller feature set helps it stand out for those dissatisfied with their smartphone shots. The good news is the SL1 is a real pleasure to shoot, with ergonomics good enough for small to medium-size hands, and snappy performance, both when shooting and reviewing photos. The touchscreen makes menus and playback work like a cell phone, making it familiar to more users than would normally be the case. The only element missing to help it compete in the smartphone-dominated market is Wi-Fi, which can be added via an Eye-Fi card, which is supported in the SL1's menu.

The SL1 isn't necessarily the perfect answer to the mirrorless camera, as smaller-sensor offerings abound in cameras from Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic, and Olympus. Smaller sensors have their disadvantages, but one of their advantages is they can deliver equivalent focal lengths with smaller lenses. Though the SL1 is itself smaller, its 18-55mm kit lens is noticeably larger than kit lenses on cameras like the Olympus E-PM2 or Nikon V2. Still, for a great many looking for SLR quality in a smaller package, the Canon Rebel SL1 delivers both with confidence and grace, and offers the advantage of a larger APS-C sensor."
10-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh now that is a handy website, those camera comparison pictures... Thanks for linking it!

10-14-2014, 04:46 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's a better choice because of the shiny fancies and flashy looks. Let's not get bogged down on technical specs :P

But in all seriousness, I don't think I would ever recommend a K-S1 over a K-50 when it's twice as expensive. It has a worse grip, isn't weather sealed, and the improvements aren't what I consider significant to the average user. Despite this I do hope that the K-S1 does sell to the intended audience without needing a big rebate.
Not everyone wants the same thing in a camera, or use their cameras in the same way.

When I saw pictures of this camera I didn't think much of it. Now that I have had a chance to play with one in the shop, I am actually pretty impressed.

This would be great to use with the 40mm and 70mm primes etc.
10-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
Not everyone wants the same thing in a camera, or use their cameras in the same way.

When I saw pictures of this camera I didn't think much of it. Now that I have had a chance to play with one in the shop, I am actually pretty impressed.

This would be great to use with the 40mm and 70mm primes etc.
How did it feel in your hands? How did the grip feel? I have been looking at some side by side comparisons and the grip is a bit smaller. Not that that is a bad thing with my small hands, but I wonder how stable it feels when you hold it. I wish I could pick one up and investigate it myself.
10-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #55
JPT
Pentaxian

How did it feel in your hands? How did the grip feel? I have been looking at some side by side comparisons and the grip is a bit smaller. Not that that is a bad thing with my small hands, but I wonder how stable it feels when you hold it. I wish I could pick one up and investigate it myself.
Looking at your sig, you have the K20D and the K-5. The K-S1 one feels completely different from them in the hand. The front and side of the grip are smooth plastic, but your fingertips hook around into the grippy rubber front surface and there is a rubber thumb grip on the back. It feels more like a mirrorless camera, like a Sony NEX or something like that. I think it's very comfortable with small lenses, especially since it's so light. I don't think it's ideal for front-heavy zoom lenses, though.
10-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think the extra bit depth matters more when you are trying to pull details out of the shadows which appear black on your screen and the highlights that appear white. Otherwise I think 12-bit sampling is huge. That's 2^12 shades of red plus 2^12 shades of green plus 2^12 shades of blue.
I've never had an issue with 12 bit images...

here's a couple images one taken with a K-01 one taken with a K-5, same seem, same light, taken a few minutes apart, both with extensive shadow detail enhancement... can you tell which is which 14 bit or 12?

If there is a small difference, it's not worth paying for, if that's what you're basing your decision on.
10-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If there is a small difference, it's not worth paying for, if that's what you're basing your decision on.

I think it's worth it for more extreme cases like poorly lit indoor scenes. There are a few shots I have tried to make with my kids doing Taekwan Do where I wish I could pull better shadow detail up.

I'd pay for it but not an arm and a leg for it. 2^12 is plenty enough for 90+% of all use cases.
10-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think it's worth it for more extreme cases like poorly lit indoor scenes. There are a few shots I have tried to make with my kids doing Taekwan Do where I wish I could pull better shadow detail up.

I'd pay for it but not an arm and a leg for it. 2^12 is plenty enough for 90+% of all use cases.
But you are assuming that a K-5 or K-3 would do better. I'm thinking to make a real difference, mate a Sony A7s or Nikon D3s, or even a camera like a D600 would be better. With current tech you really do need to think larger photo sites. Sooner or later 16 Mp backlit sensors will make it to APS-c and we'll be in business again... but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that.

Th other solution would be something like a 77mm 1.8.
10-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But you are assuming that a K-5 or K-3 would do better. I'm thinking to make a real difference, mate a Sony A7s or Nikon D3s, or even a camera like a D600 would be better. With current tech you really do need to think larger photo sites. Sooner or later 16 Mp backlit sensors will make it to APS-c and we'll be in business again... but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that.

Th other solution would be something like a 77mm 1.8.
Sure, I'm assuming that the sensor's output at low light levels is clean and not drowned out by noise. Otherwise, the shadows will just buried with the noise and I'm using the extra bit depth to record garbage data. 14-bit depth for ISO 25,600 shots may be useless but at something lower could be very powerful. Extreme case but I think you know what I mean.
10-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #60

I guess it depends what you expect from the grip. It certainly isn't a grip you can just curl your fingers round, like most DSLRs. But I was happy with it. I liked the feel of it. (Though this is based on a quick look in the shop, not proper use over time.)

But, as I say, I certainly left liking the camera.

For me, this is like an upgrade of the K-01, rather than just another DSLR in the Pentax range. It is different and will appeal to different people.

This is actually (slightly) lighter than the K-01.

Apart from some people saying it was ugly (I liked it), the main complaints against the K-01 were 1) slow AF, 2) no view finder, and to some extent 3) lack of a grip.

Although in one sense this is a different type of camera (mirrorless v SLR), the K-S1 actually felt to me like a natural successor to the K-01, addressing the main complaints.