Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Maybe this is normal for a new release, but after about 3 weeks there are no reviews on B&H, Adorama, or Amazon.
Amazon looks to have about the same amount of 'in stock' bodies and kits.
It appears that only one has sold on eBay.

Too early still, or is there little interest for the K-S1 in the USA?
The one sale on Amazon was PF member mtngal accidentally using 1-click purchase (I'm not joking.) I'm afraid the K-S1 is DOA in the US. It's a pity, because mine looks like it's going to be a nice little camera in the mode of the K-x. Maybe when the emphasis shifts to what it can do, instead of what it looks like...

11-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm fine with the looks, heck, I own a K-01.
My interest is in possibly replacing my K5 and 01 with the K-S1.
I think I'll like the size, and even if the ergonomics aren't great it's no big deal for a snap shooter like me.
Thanks for your input THoog!
11-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I'll like the size, and even if the ergonomics aren't great it's no big deal for a snap shooter like me.
I'm baffled by people who say that, though, Robtcorl.

If someone threatens to go mirrorless because Pentax won't do this or that, they'll encounter shallower grips all the time, unless they buy something huge like the GH4.

What you do with all small cameras is support the lens from the bottom. The RH should be loose and relaxed, rather than doing a death grip!

Whether I use my K-30 or K-S1, between shots, I use straps to get from one place to the other. Usually it's a tripod mount Blackrapid wrist strap that becomes a shoulder one with a push of a button.
11-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I shoot a lot using a brick, and started with a K 1000 film camera, so I'm good with just about anything that takes photos, including my boxy MX-1.

My K-01 method:

11-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think you'd be able to get away trying a camcorder-style grip with the K-S1, Rob. The grip is narrow, too.

Conventional DSLR holding technique is called for. :-)
11-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The one sale on Amazon was PF member mtngal accidentally using 1-click purchase (I'm not joking.) I'm afraid the K-S1 is DOA in the US. It's a pity, because mine looks like it's going to be a nice little camera in the mode of the K-x. Maybe when the emphasis shifts to what it can do, instead of what it looks like...
With RICOH's history of ridiculously slashing the prices on their one-off models within a year of release, I'd wager that people are just waiting until the K-S1 goes on sale for $299
11-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't surprise me that Amazon hasn't sold any (other than mine) - they are more expensive than B&H or Adorama. They would still have no sales if I hadn't accidentally hit the 1-click button as I was trying to quickly hide my iPad when someone came into my office.

I agree with clackers, the grip is too small to support the camera completely with your right hand, and I have very small hands. On the other hand, it is a cinch to support under it with the left. I have a bad habit of using my right for most of the support with a K-3 and that camera is too heavy for me to get away with it, plus it isn't as steady. I can see where my technique will improve with the K-S1.

I'm hoping to be able to spend some time with the camera tomorrow, but I was pleased with the couple of quick snaps I took today of a nice Mojave sunrise. I can hold the camera much more comfortably. I will say that I can see why someone would say it was better with smaller, lighter lenses, the camera is so light that it is a bit lens-heavy with the FA 77, another good reason for supporting it properly with your left hand under the body/lens. I'm finally beginning to understand why many say that a grip helps with the DA 300. I never could see it because I'm not strong enough and my hands are too small to operate the lens while using a grip.

I hope the camera will succeed, but it's been so dismissed by some very vocal people, that I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. But it is perfect for me, just what I was looking for - excellent quality in a small package. I'll be even happier when Adorama ships the silver DA40 (I only ordered it Friday).

Does anyone know where I can download the owners manual? I went to the U.S. Ricoh site and the links on their website led to a "file not found" message. I'm fumbling a bit with some of the controls.

I might have paid more than I should have for the camera, but I'm still a very happy camper. The unfamiliar control layout isn't any more confusing to me than the controls on the K100 - maybe less so as I don't remember what all the odd abbreviations meant on the K100.
11-02-2014, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Manuals (working links)
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-s1.pdf

and/or

https://my-s1-media.ricoh-imaging.eu/media/f6b981c30e74faa8699b8b0e609c30a3/KS1-OPM-EN.pdf

11-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, both links worked, and I saw this before I left some place with a fast internet connection. I can understand why companies are going to this type of thing ( the K-S1 only comes with a quick start guide that's about half the size if the usual full manual), it saves them money. But it annoys me because my internet connection isn't all that much faster than dial-up. It's not that big of a deal because I usually download the manuals to the iPad anyway, but still it's nice to have the hard copy to thumb through.
11-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I agree with clackers, the grip is too small to support the camera completely with your right hand, and I have very small hands. On the other hand, it is a cinch to support under it with the left. I have a bad habit of using my right for most of the support with a K-3 and that camera is too heavy for me to get away with it, plus it isn't as steady. I can see where my technique will improve with the K-S1.

I'm hoping to be able to spend some time with the camera tomorrow, but I was pleased with the couple of quick snaps I took today of a nice Mojave sunrise. I can hold the camera much more comfortably. I will say that I can see why someone would say it was better with smaller, lighter lenses, the camera is so light that it is a bit lens-heavy with the FA 77, another good reason for supporting it properly with your left hand under the body/lens. I'm finally beginning to understand why many say that a grip helps with the DA 300. I never could see it because I'm not strong enough and my hands are too small to operate the lens while using a grip.

I hope the camera will succeed, but it's been so dismissed by some very vocal people, that I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. But it is perfect for me, just what I was looking for - excellent quality in a small package. I'll be even happier when Adorama ships the silver DA40 (I only ordered it Friday).

I might have paid more than I should have for the camera, but I'm still a very happy camper. The unfamiliar control layout isn't any more confusing to me than the controls on the K100 - maybe less so as I don't remember what all the odd abbreviations meant on the K100.
I'm glad things appear to be working out, and I think the white K-S1 and a silver DA 40 will be a great combination.

With the K-01, my philosophy on heavy lenses was simple - unless you use a tripod, go get something with a bigger grip. Since I intend to stick to smaller, lighter lenses on the K-S1, the only problem I have with the grip is that I'm battling arthritis in two fingers. (Only the two you use the most for holding and firing a camera, he said through gritted teeth.) But that's just me and would apply to any camera.

One thing that baffles me with the reaction to the K-S1 is that "being small" is not considered a feature or capability. The K-S1 keeps getting compared to the K-50 on price and weather sealing. When you read the "product story" on the Ricoh website, they make it clear that small size was a design goal (the words 'style' or 'fashion' do not appear). Excellent image quality in a small package even at the cost of weather sealing and some other features - isn't that what the DA Limited primes are all about?
11-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #26
Adorama Camera Representative

Maybe this is normal for a new release, but after about 3 weeks there are no reviews on B&H, Adorama, or Amazon.
Amazon looks to have about the same amount of 'in stock' bodies and kits.
It appears that only one has sold on eBay.

Too early still, or is there little interest for the K-S1 in the USA?
We do!

</title> <meta name="Keywords" content="pentax , DSLR , APS , Pentax K-S1" /> <meta name="description" content="Pentax K-S1 Sleek 20MP Midrange DSLR: First Look. Advanced features, easy interface, compact design. The new enthusiast-oriented DSLR came

</title> <meta name="Keywords" content="ricoh, pentax , Adorama TV , photography , camera , Product Review , Daniel Norton , Pentax K-S1 " /> <meta name="description" content="Pentax K-S1 Product Overview. Discover the Pentax K-S1 with Daniel Norton.
11-02-2014, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What you do with all small cameras is support the lens from the bottom. The RH should be loose and relaxed, rather than doing a death grip!
I do that with my K-01 and always have. I hold it up near my face, not at arms' length. It completely changes the taking experience.

I wish more people had tried this.
11-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
One thing that baffles me with the reaction to the K-S1 is that "being small" is not considered a feature or capability. The K-S1 keeps getting compared to the K-50 on price and weather sealing. When you read the "product story" on the Ricoh website, they make it clear that small size was a design goal (the words 'style' or 'fashion' do not appear). Excellent image quality in a small package even at the cost of weather sealing and some other features - isn't that what the DA Limited primes are all about?
I wonder if that was an intentional decision by RIAC marketing. Did they go all-in for the iPhone crowd (at the expense of marketing to the enthusiasts who want a capable, very small dSLR)?
11-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the links, Helen. I hadn't seen them and even though I already bought the camera, it was good reading. I'm sorry I messed up and didn't give Adorama the camera sale, but at least you got the order for the lens and flash triggers.