Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #31
Pentaxian

And for once Gmail hasn't dumped it in the trash bin as is usually the case with mails from Pric.

I like the colours ... but not that they have blown this years marketing budget on cakes :-)

10-23-2014, 02:54 AM   #32
Pentaxian

This photo failure is beyond ridiculous, it's a true WTF moment.
On the other hand, maybe they want to go viral, like there is no such thing as bad publicity?
10-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like someone confused the Q-S1 dimensions with the K-S1.

(I'm willing to forgive photoshopping a stock photo, as I view a non-Japanese woman using a K-S1 to be only slightly less imaginary than a unicorn playing a Sousaphone.)
10-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LMAO! The giant woman holding the tiny K-S1 is hilarious! It is terrible. And I know that Ricoh is not an amateur imaging company, so this is some sort of... mistake. I believe that this likely was some sort of concept image, "Let's put the green camera in the hands of a person wearing green so that peeps get the idea that they can color-coordinate! Fun, isn't it?" I don't think this image was intended to be released for advertising, truly... It was, so somebody overlooked something somewhere along the line. However, I doubt it was the Photoshop "artist"...

EDIT: Also. For what it's worth, I think the fun colors of Pentax are great and I hope they keep making brightly colored cameras like these, for people like me, who appreciate being able to choose something other than black...

10-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
And Europe. Pentax fanboys will no doubt find some feeble excuse for this. A camera company that can't take a photo of its product
Ouch. I assumed this was just a marketing blunder by the North American office, but if its going out in Europe and North America then this probably came from higher up the ladder. Does the same marketing firm handle North America and Europe?

How does this image make it through the approval process?
10-23-2014, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

How about some retro Mopar High Impact Colors (HIP) for the K-S1.
http://maxwedge.com/articles/highimpact.php
Plum Crazy
Sublime
Green Go
Panther Pink
Top Banana
Go Mango
Tor Red
10-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Ouch. I assumed this was just a marketing blunder by the North American office, but if its going out in Europe and North America then this probably came from higher up the ladder. Does the same marketing firm handle North America and Europe?

There clearly is no approval process. Some guy at his desk, just before lunch. "Lets see, I'm hungry, but this image looks stupid... you know? If I just hit the send button, who's going to care?"

For some reason I can't get the girl with the big hands out of my mind, if I ever figure out why, I'll get back to you.

Last edited by normhead; 10-24-2014 at 05:26 AM.
10-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Every single ad that shows up at my house or in a newspaper has stuff like this. The target audience doesn't notice and doesn't care. They will see "ooh, cute camera! It's green!"

I agree Ricoh should do better -- they are an imaging company! -- but it's not likely to harm sales in the least.
10-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #39
Veteran Member

This image was assembled by people who generate spam emails. I pray Ricoh was trying out a new agency and has learned their lesson.
10-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was e-mailed out to registered Pentax owners in the USA. I don't know if it has been used anywhere else, but Ricoh e-mailed it to me as a product announcement.
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Aha.

Probably some intern in the RIAC office under time pressure to produce a 'product in use' image, however no actual camera bodies at hand yet to produce any shots of their own, but with easy access to MS Paint....

It's Potemkin villages all the way UP!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There clearly is no approval process. Some guy at his desk, just before lunch. "Lets see, I'm hungry, but this image looks stupid... you know? If I just hit the send button, who'd going to care?"

For some reason I can't get the girl with the big hands out of my mind, if I ever figure out why, I'll get back to you.
Error #1 -> 100% viewfinder and she's shooting with the LCD.

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Every single ad that shows up at my house or in a newspaper has stuff like this. The target audience doesn't notice and doesn't care. They will see "ooh, cute camera! It's green!"

I agree Ricoh should do better -- they are an imaging company! -- but it's not likely to harm sales in the least.
This is the product of $250,000 Journalism School Bachelor Degrees. My daughter the dragon-lady manages Columbia J-School grads. Her EP told me a story about an exchange he overheard:

An Associate Producer objected to a re-edit my daughter ordered. "You were an English Major at DePauw. I have a Journalism degree from Columbia. It's good enough. I shouldn't have to do this," and she replied, "Good enough isn't good enough. It's Broadcast Network News, not your hometown dogcatcher report. You need an attitude adjustment. There's the EXIT - Go For It!!" and the person at the next workstation said something like, "I TOLD you not to make her angry!!"

They're just so arrogant.
10-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Error #1 -> 100% viewfinder and she's shooting with the LCD.
Nah, she's just checking out the photo she took of normhead.
10-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Is this better?

10-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Is this better?
Broken image
10-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Broken image
Sorry, it was showing up for me, but not now.
Here's the link to the photo I was trying to post:
LED ???????Pentax K-S1 ?? $5,490 - ???? - Pentax ??? - ePrice.HK
10-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Pentax needs to remove this particular ad NOW!

It is a horrible Photoshop effort.

For a photography company this is a mortal sin.
That is a plain stupid photoshop job..... Agree that does not sell the camera.

---------- Post added 23-10-14 at 20:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Good catch.

But a Photoshop fail coming from an imaging company is a marketing fail through and through.
Well the K-3 advertising images where made with a Nikon D600, so they are very good at failing doing their job. Hiring a photographer that works with Pentax isn't on their menu.