Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not until DxoMark look at it, I think.
If it does well in the Lab, everyone will soon forget about a small marketing blunder.
You mean the way they looked at the 645z... thanks, but no thanks!

10-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
ou mean the way they looked at the 645z...
Yes, I wonder about that myself. They have already scored, at least partially [I can't get the charts to appear], the D750, and that's a very new camera.

Yet a far more interesting camera like the 645Z languishes.
10-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #63
ogl
Banned

Not until DxoMark look at it, I think.
If it does well in the Lab, everyone will soon forget about a small marketing blunder.
DXO is not the most important thing for camera. 20 MP sensor is close to 16 MP sensor. No any Revelation

The problems of K-S1 lay in another plane. But the huge problem will be low sales.
That's why K-S1 lost USD100 of price already.
10-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
But the huge problem will be low sales.
Time will tell.
Maybe they will get some celebrity to endorse it and sales will go through the roof. Anything can happen.

10-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Them's fightin' words.
Just speaking truth to . . . . . myself?

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Monochrome, you've angered the powerful over-60s Post processing faction of the forum.

Best to make your escape when they fall asleep watching McGyver.
Well, I might be in that group myself - but if I said it I'd be kicked out of the group.
10-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Is there any chance of judging this camera on its photographic potential rather than awarding and docking Ricoh points for their business practices?
Of course the camera should be judged on its own merit. On the other hand, this gaff really calls into question how seriously Ricoh views their camera business.
10-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I like this camera... 1/3 lighter than my K-3. 20 MP instead of 24... I might actually prefer that to my K-01 or K-5 as our back up body.... but the price has to be under $500 before I start sniffing. And the IQ has to have an advantage over the K-5.

Last edited by normhead; 10-24-2014 at 06:37 AM.
10-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I like this camera... 1/3 lighter than my K-3. 20 MP instead of 24... I might actually prefer that to my K-01 of K-5 as our back up body....
It seems about the same size as the K-x, and with perhaps a more capable low-light sensor than the K-3 too. It will probably be a very likable camera to shoot and use.

Plus, like the K-x, ergonomically it appears as if you can use it (shoot, review images, adjust menu options etc) entirely one handed. I like that a lot with the K-x.
10-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I really like the fun colors! They completely appeal to my sense of whimsey. The only problem for me is that I'm always going to buy the K-3 or its equivalent-- I'm not going to buy an entry-level camera just for the colors...
I LOVE the idea of the K-S1 and lime green is my favorite...

...but the price drop on the K-3 has put it in my "willing to spend money on it" range... plus I have a B&H gift certificate that's beginning to burn a hole in my pocket.
10-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I think the virtues of the K-S1 are discussed on other K-S1 threads and this one is really just focused on Ricoh's announcement of the new colors, which is why this thread seems focused on the advertising... But there is a lot of cynicism that hangs around, in general.

I wish I needed/could afford a new camera so I could buy the K-S1 in the most outrageous color they have! Then I could cradle it delicately in my giant woman-hands.
I'd like to see that! No seriously, in ten years of camera spotting, I've seen exactly ONE woman using a Pentax. (Summer 2011, Chicago Institute of Art, by the Renoirs. White K-x. I think she was Chinese.)

I appreciate JPT's frustration, as they were the OP of the original N&R thread about the K-S1, which became (and still is) a quagmire of PiD™ debates.
10-24-2014, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #71
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
PiD™
Petty, Insignificant Drivel?
10-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Petty, Insignificant Drivel?
Yep, that sums it up pretty well. It's downright PiDiful.
10-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #73
ogl
Banned

It seems about the same size as the K-x, and with perhaps a more capable low-light sensor than the K-3 too. It will probably be a very likable camera to shoot and use.

Plus, like the K-x, ergonomically it appears as if you can use it (shoot, review images, adjust menu options etc) entirely one handed. I like that a lot with the K-x.
Right. The reviews of K-S1 say about rather disputable ergonomics, old AF system and uncomfortable control. Weak video, of course. No tilting LCD and Wi-Fi.

---------- Post added 10-24-2014 at 10:09 AM ----------

Time will tell.
Maybe they will get some celebrity to endorse it and sales will go through the roof. Anything can happen.
The ranking of K-S1 is rather low now...
When I last looked, the K-S1 was sitting at #234 on BCN and #166 on Kakaku so ways to go in their home market for which, so some say, this camera is really designed.
10-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #74
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The ranking of K-S1 is rather low now...
When I last looked, the K-S1 was sitting at #234 on BCN and #166 on Kakaku so ways to go in their home market for which, so some say, this camera is really designed.
You would have seen a similar trend with the K-50 or any other consumer-level Pentax DSLR one month after release. Kakaku.com has a mix of informed enthusiasts that buy high end stuff early and bargain hunters that buy soon-to-be-discontinued stuff at steep discounts. BCN also tends towards the old models, but with fewer enthusiast models represented. Pentax always does terrible on BCN because many of the shops they survey don't push Pentax and because they count each colour variation as a separate model, which splits Pentax's figures.

Right. The reviews of K-S1 say about rather disputable ergonomics, old AF system and uncomfortable control. Weak video, of course. No tilting LCD and Wi-Fi.
I'm sure the camera you want to see, a K-50 successor, is coming soon. The K-S1 is different from that. I can see you own a number of lenses that would be ergonomically fine on the K-S1. If you put your DA40 on the K-S1 you'd have something not much bigger than the GXR/50mm, but with an OVF.
10-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Originally posted by ogl Quote Right. The reviews of K-S1 say about rather disputable ergonomics, old AF system and uncomfortable control. Weak video, of course. No tilting LCD and Wi-Fi.
Tilting LCD and internal Wi-Fi are available on other CURRENT Pentax models. I expect those are experiments and both features will appear commonly on future models.

K-S1 is tiny, has a new interface and is snappy looking. The fact that you don't like it (and people like me don't need it) are the strongest arguments I can think of in its favor.