Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #76
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Tilting LCD and internal Wi-Fi are available on other CURRENT Pentax models.
I don't know the name of Pentax DSLR with tilting LCD and Wi-Fi.

K-S1 is very close to K-x in terms of dimensions.

10-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #77

Photos: Gallery
Pentax sent out an email with an apology for the terrible Photoshop job. It was a more sincere apology than the one from BP after the oil spill (lol).

Anyhow, I wish all Pentax cameras had colors to choose from (wishful thinking) and were weatherproof. I don't think the KS-1 is weatherproof. It is raining today, and I'll be the only photographer getting memorable photos of his kid's team slobbering around in the mud and puddles.

Last edited by quant2325; 10-25-2014 at 07:15 AM.
10-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #78
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
Pentax sent out an email with an apology for the terrible Photoshop job. It was a more sincere apology than the one from BP after the oil spill (lol).
Yeah I think all the comments hit them hard!
10-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #79
ogl
Banned

here is the sample of very good marketing

Cinematographers: Samsung and Joseph Gordon-Levitt need your help to shoot a crowd-sourced 4K film with the Samsung NX1!

I don't see any problems to hire well-known actress to make good photo session with new colors K-S1.

It costs money, yes...But does Ricoh really want to make real promotion for new camera and get good sales...? Or they don't care about it?

10-25-2014, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
here is the sample of very good marketing

Cinematographers: Samsung and Joseph Gordon-Levitt need your help to shoot a crowd-sourced 4K film with the Samsung NX1!

I don't see any problems to hire well-known actress to make good photo session with new colors K-S1.

It costs money, yes...But does Ricoh really want to make real promotion for new camera and get good sales...? Or they don't care about it?
Just look at what Fuji did with the marketing for the X-mount. They picked 300 photographers/bloggers and gave them a camera and a couple of lenses and told them to write about their experience. Some didn't like the system and wrote about what they didn't like, but the majority wrote positive reviews. It was very effective and cheap marketing.

Hopefully Ricoh has plans to reach out to the smaller professional photographers. A few months ago I saw a graph showing internet traffic for the different camera brands. Canon dwarfs pretty much everyone, but Fuji has surpassed Pentax. Sony had moved way up with the A7 line driving a lot of interest. Even with the painfully limited native lens offering for FE mount, they have sold very well.

Samsung knows how to market & the NX-1 is a really good looking camera on paper. Fuji know how to market, make cameras & lenses, and they have a name that traditional photographers know and love. Sony knows how to market, and when they figure out how to make lenses and cameras they will be dangerous. I hope that Ricoh has some really good R&D and quality control in place. Its a very tough market for a company that doesn't know how to communicate with customers.
10-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Samsung knows how to market & the NX-1 is a really good looking camera on paper. Fuji know how to market, make cameras & lenses, and they have a name that traditional photographers know and love. Sony knows how to market, and when they figure out how to make lenses and cameras they will be dangerous. I hope that Ricoh has some really good R&D and quality control in place. Its a very tough market for a company that doesn't know how to communicate with customers.
Ricoh is marketing. They're just not marketing to the likes of you and me so you're not responsive to it. Fuji - yeah, I'm concerned about Fuji. The others? Meh.

They each have a corporate parent able to squander millions in an effort to gain future market share with little concern about current profit. Pentax and Fuji have a legacy name. What's a Samsung or a Sony?

That stupid image was an amateur-night screw up. Apologies are for Middle School. I don't believe it for a minute. If it was the wrong one, where's the right one?

If there aren't pictures it never happened.
10-25-2014, 11:24 PM   #82
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't believe it for a minute. If it was the wrong one, where's the right one?
Yeah, just compounds the mistake, for mine.

10-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Ricoh is marketing. They're just not marketing to the likes of you and me so you're not responsive to it.
So are they trying to sell the K-S1 to bored housewives ? It would not take much effort to round up a couple of cute cosplay girls and shoot them somewhere so ordinary that they would stand out. Japanese heritage, being different, eye candy, appeal to the right group of potential buyers, all done and dusted in an afternoon ...
10-26-2014, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
So are they trying to sell the K-S1 to bored housewives ? It would not take much effort to round up a couple of cute cosplay girls and shoot them somewhere so ordinary that they would stand out. Japanese heritage, being different, eye candy, appeal to the right group of potential buyers, all done and dusted in an afternoon ...
Well, the hip buyers spending hundreds of dollars are more likely to be the cute cosplay girls than the bored housewives, right?

Gotta get the young customers for premium items before they get married, start families/mortgages and have zero disposable income for twenty years.

Sitting in a vegan cafe they'll have their oddball but capable camera beside their Macbook Air and e-cigarette.

Last edited by clackers; 10-26-2014 at 02:41 AM.
10-26-2014, 04:20 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Ricoh Imaging globally think, "Who says cameras have to be black?" but I just don't think that plays well in the USA. When cameras are stocked in colors here they're only stocked in a few, safe colors such as white, red or blue.

I really don't think this camera was intended to be a huge success here. They'll sell you one if you want it but they're not going all-in to market it.
10-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #86
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh Imaging globally think, "Who says cameras have to be black?" but I just don't think that plays well in the USA. When cameras are stocked in colors here they're only stocked in a few, safe colors such as white, red or blue.
Pentax Australia agrees with you. When I bought mine I was able to order as Henry Ford is attributed 'any colour as long as it was black'.

Last edited by clackers; 10-26-2014 at 11:52 AM.
10-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #87
Veteran Member

The Sweets trio are now listed on Amazon, but no photos yet, and "Temporarily out of stock" for all three.
$699.95, body only.
11-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #88

Ricoh is marketing. They're just not marketing to the likes of you and me so you're not responsive to it. Fuji - yeah, I'm concerned about Fuji. The others? Meh.

They each have a corporate parent able to squander millions in an effort to gain future market share with little concern about current profit. Pentax and Fuji have a legacy name. What's a Samsung or a Sony?

That stupid image was an amateur-night screw up. Apologies are for Middle School. I don't believe it for a minute. If it was the wrong one, where's the right one?

If there aren't pictures it never happened.

RIcoh has a HUGE price advantage with the 645z, and the marketing is horrible. I'd get that camera into every camera rental house, have 100 photographers use it and blog about it, etc. Ricoh has little competitive advantage with the KS-1 outside the colors, yet spends money advertising it. This makes no sense since the DSLR market is in decline. "Me, too!" products are sold by branding. Competitive products are sold by necessity and price. Ricoh doesn't have the branding to sell more entry level DSLRs yet, but it might eventually get there if the future FF is prices as aggressively as the 645Z. Cheaper cameras are no longer a necessity by the intended audience that owns an iPhone or Android. Therefore, branding will ride the coattails of the better cameras.

Last edited by quant2325; 11-02-2014 at 09:34 AM.
11-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #89
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
RIcoh has a HUGE price advantage with the 645z, and the marketing is horrible. I'd get that camera into every camera rental house, have 100 photographers use it and blog about it, etc. Ricoh has little competitive advantage with the KS-1 outside the colors, yet spends money advertising it. This makes no sense since the DSLR market is in decline. "Me, too!" products are sold by branding. Competitive products are sold by necessity and price. Ricoh doesn't have the branding to sell more entry level DSLRs yet, but it might eventually get there if the future FF is prices as aggressively as the 645Z. Cheaper cameras are no longer a necessity by the intended audience that owns an iPhone or Android. Therefore, branding will ride the coattails of the better cameras.
I think that when 5000 people would decide today to go to the 645Z system then they will have trouble finding lenses to support that new system. It isn't a large growing market, since there aren't many products available.
11-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think that when 5000 people would decide today to go to the 645Z system then they will have trouble finding lenses to support that new system. It isn't a large growing market, since there aren't many products available.
I agree with you, the presence of a variety of lenses with good parameters - this is an important detail! It is not the camera draws a picture, namely lenses