Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A lot gets left in, but of course the smaller body isn't WR, it's only got the one e-dial, and there's no AA battery holder option. Things that seem to have been arbitrarily taken out are the electronic level, multi-exposure, interval shooting, and the ability of the built-in flash to act as a P-TTL wireless controller to an external flash.
Left out:

Weather sealing - Meh, I can live with that, but weather sealing is such a huge selling point for Pentax stuff. I'm curious why they left it out.
AA battery ability - Also meh. I actually prefer just carrying around multiples of the stock battery.
Electronic level - DEAL BREAKER for me, but maybe other people aren't so hot on it.
Multi-Exposure - I never use it, I prefer bracketing instead.
Interval shooting - This was one of those things that would have been nice to have in there. I use it occasionally.

Question on the built-in flash: Can it trigger a Pentax flash (AF 540 FGZ) that is in manual mode?

Overall it seems oddly crippled in some ways. I'm not sure I would want this camera anymore, but hopefully it attracts the intended target into the fold.

10-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #32
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoshC Quote
I'm not sure who pentax thinks they are targeting but if they are targeting kids, amateurs ....
Obviously they were targeting clackers, a chap of some talent.
10-26-2014, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #33
JPT
Pentaxian

I think this page from the Ricoh Japan website is quite informative about who they are aiming the K-S1 at and why they made the decision to include and leave out certain features.

Development Story?K-S1 | RICOH IMAGING

In the article, they state that they have aimed the camera at both first-time DSLR users and advanced users. They also describe how difficult it was to fit everything in the small body.

Anyway, I'm enjoying hearing some first-hand experiences from Clackers. Thanks.
10-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Left out:
Question on the built-in flash: Can it trigger a Pentax flash (AF 540 FGZ) that is in manual mode?

If you mean can it act as a master to a slave AF 540, Earl, yes. And you can wind that power right back so it's only a catchlight to your external's key light. Forget 2 stops of flash exposure compensation, you can wind it back seven!!

And if you have a cable, Contrast Control Sync works as well.

These days the go is cheap radio triggers anyway ... more reliable than even the mighty Nikon in-built wireless system, which needs line of sight anyway. I have the Cactus v5 courtesy of the info in this forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Overall it seems oddly crippled in some ways. I'm not sure I would want this camera anymore, but hopefully it attracts the intended target into the fold.

And yet oddly more powerful than a beginner would need - more detail and sharper than the K-50 or K-5 II, for instance.

I think it'd make a pretty good second body to whatever you have now. [Edit: I see you've got a Q for that - there you go! It's not just Japanese Hello Kitty fans buying these things.]

Last edited by clackers; 10-26-2014 at 05:52 PM.
10-26-2014, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Obviously they were targeting clackers, a chap of some talent.

Very kind of you, Jac, but if you look at my Gallery (and I've added the FA77 image of the momma swan) I'm almost a newbie to this hobby.

I'm so inexperienced, as a matter of fact, I'm thinking of applying to Ricoh to do all the photography and Photoshopping in their email ads in the future.

Giant Woman will feature prominently, of course!
10-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #36
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very kind of you, Jac, but if you look at my Gallery (and I've added the FA77 image of the momma swan) I'm almost a newbie to this hobby.

I'm so inexperienced, as a matter of fact, I'm thinking of applying to Ricoh to do all the photography and Photoshopping in their email ads in the future.

Giant Woman will feature prominently, of course!
That's why I don't have a gallery. I'm still working on the first 10K practice shots.
10-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
A very interesting read. They put some serious work into the K-S1.

This quote intrigued me:
"The fact that we were aiming for an unprecedented design meant there was a high degree of design freedom, and that led to an outpouring of highly diverse ideas. (Laughs)."

It would be interesting to see some of those 'diverse ideas' designs, just to get an idea of what product designers are thinking about how photography is evolving nowadays.

10-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
That's why I don't have a gallery. I'm still working on the first 10K practice shots.

[Laughs}. Yes, 9700 to go for me, too!

10-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

In the article, they state that they have aimed the camera at both first-time DSLR users and advanced users. They also describe how difficult it was to fit everything in the small body.

Well, the first paragraph makes clear it's aimed at first-time DSLR users, but the final sentence of the page is: "This is a camera that will reward a close look even from advanced photographers so we hope that you will take it in hand and see for yourself."

Thanks for linking, that, JPT, it was very informative. I love interviews with product designers.

Recently I read a very good warts-and-all one with the guy at Sigma who did the 18-35mm f1.8 - the fastest zoom in the world.
10-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

It would be interesting to see some of those 'diverse ideas' designs, just to get an idea of what product designers are thinking about how photography is evolving nowadays.

I'm with you, Rawr.

If crazy green LEDs made it, what ended up on the cutting room floor? :-D
10-26-2014, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Well' we've seen some interesting K-x design ideas in the past.
Perhaps some of the K-S1 ideas went in a similar direction, and prudently didn't make it into production.

10-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My ... eyes ... my ... eyes!
10-27-2014, 05:16 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
As requested, some high ISO images, all OoC JPGs, only cropped.

Usual disclaimer: Any missed focuses, underexposures, shots of the ground or pained expressions on the faces of subjects are due to the camera, not the person operating it.

Sigma 10-20mm, 1/2 s, f10, ISO3200:

DA* 50-135mm, f2.8, 1/100s, ISO6400:

DA* 50-135mm, f2.8. 1/80s. ISO6400:

Last edited by clackers; 10-27-2014 at 05:34 AM.
10-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Thank you for this set.

It looks to me like the K-S1 can handle itself in the dark very well. The results look clean and detailed when the light levels are weak, which is always a challenge. Granted these are small, web size images, but even the ISO 6400 pix look decent. Good detail, colours not flat.

This sensor looks like a good choice by Pentax.
10-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #45
Pentaxian

As requested, some high ISO images, all OoC JPGs, only cropped

Wow! With every shot I see from the K-S1 I become more and more impressed by its rendering.