Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2014, 04:52 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got my K-S1!

A couple of shots. These are cropped OoC JPGs that have gone through that GooglePlus image enhancement:

(Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art)

(Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art)

(FA 77mm f1.8)

In pitching the K-S1 at anyone interested in jumping to DSLRs from phones and P&S, they had to work out which features to leave out, or sales of the K-50 and K-3 might have been cannibalized more than necessary.

A lot gets left in, but of course the smaller body isn't WR, it's only got the one e-dial, and there's no AA battery holder option. Things that seem to have been arbitrarily taken out are the electronic level, multi-exposure, interval shooting, and the ability of the built-in flash to act as a P-TTL wireless controller to an external flash.

It can be tethered with a Flu-card (I"ve one on the way), and the in-built flash can have its power adjusted from 1/1 to 1/128 in Manual mode.

Moving the mode dial to surrounding the four way controller means they stiffened its action to stop it being accidentally rotated too often, so more pressure is required when you do use it.

I might now do what Normhead's done and pass my K-x onto my daughter-in-law.

This is a pretty good replacement, which will supplement my K-30, especially when hiking, kayaking and cycling.

Last edited by clackers; 10-25-2014 at 05:55 AM.
10-25-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info. Seems they crippled features a lot given its launch price. Is it around the size of the Kx?

Dale
10-25-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing these. What are your impressions regarding handling?

BTW...that is one mean-looking bird.

Steve
10-25-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Thanks for the info. Seems they crippled features a lot given its launch price. Is it around the size of the Kx?

Dale
More pixels, AA filterless, WiFi ready and pricier than the K-50, Dale, less pixels and cheaper than the K-3, smaller and lighter than both of them, but that misses the point.

It's not designed to compete with those two models so much as attract cashed up hipsters who are happy to spend hundreds of dollars on gifts for themselves like premium smartphones, TVs, etc.

It's the size of the K-x. I've seen it claimed that the only current smaller DSLR is one of the Rebels.

Last edited by clackers; 10-25-2014 at 05:57 AM.
10-25-2014, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for sharing these. What are your impressions regarding handling?
Yeah, at times I used it one-handed, Steve, even with the enormously heavy Sigma 35mm Art.

I like the bigger grip on my K-30 but it will still be a revelation for buyers who've never owned a DSLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...that is one mean-looking bird.
It's actually hungry.

Mum and Dad brought all the goslings over to a fisherman for a pity feed but he didn't respond, so they turned and made their way to me.

Clearly people have been giving them plenty of food - a no-no because of the sugar in processed bread, distorting real-life behaviour, etc.

Last edited by clackers; 10-25-2014 at 06:07 AM.
10-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Looking good. Thanks for taking the time to do some samples. With those two very nice lenses, you certainly are giving the camera a chance to do its best.

Any chance of some low-light, high-ISO shots and impressions, just to 'stress-test' the sensor a bit? I'm very keen to see how this new 20MP performs compared to it's 16MP and 24MP kin under such conditions.
10-25-2014, 06:09 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Any chance of some low-light, high-ISO shots and impressions, just to 'stress-test' the sensor a bit? I'm very keen to see how this new 20MP performs compared to it's 16MP and 24MP kin under such conditions.
I'll see if I can come up with a night shot, Rawr, but presumably the sensor is a variant of the one on that Sony A5000 if you want some metrics.

Last edited by clackers; 10-25-2014 at 06:22 AM.
10-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great photos, seems the 20MP sensor works well with high end lenses! And the photos should have more detail than the 16MP cameras, since K-S1 has 20MP and no AA filter.
10-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A lot gets left in, but of course the smaller body isn't WR, it's only got the one e-dial, and there's no AA battery holder option. Things that seem to have been arbitrarily taken out are the electronic level, multi-exposure, interval shooting, and the ability of the built-in flash to act as a P-TTL wireless controller to an external flash.
Pity about the AA holder but I don't care about the rest - or about touch screen or folding rear display.

How is the grip? And is there enough viewfinder information? Could you imagine that one could more or less shoot just using the viewfinder for composition and with the rear screen set to display info and not live-view? How nippy is the AF?

---------- Post added 25-10-14 at 18:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's actually hungry.

Mum and Dad brought all the goslings over to a fisherman for a pity feed but he didn't respond, so they turned and made their way to me.

Clearly people have been giving them plenty of food - a no-no because of the sugar in processed bread, distorting real-life behaviour, etc.
Indeed. Should only give grain or other appropriate food to wild birds.
10-25-2014, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Indeed. Should only give grain or other appropriate food to wild birds.
But big marshmallows are so much fun

Steve
10-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
Banned

So why would anyone buy this over the cheaper K5 IIs?
10-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoshC Quote
So why would anyone buy this over the cheaper K5 IIs?
Newer, smaller, more "stylish", more megapixels, possibly better Live View performance.

The K-5 IIs is probably doing to be discontinued pretty soon.
10-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Newer, smaller, more "stylish"
Lighter...

Steve
10-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Newer, smaller, more "stylish", more megapixels, possibly better Live View performance.

The K-5 IIs is probably doing to be discontinued pretty soon.
As a photographer what's any of that matter to me? Half the battery life, not as professional looking, 4mp doesn't really mean much, slower shutter speed, no weather sealing. I'm not sure who pentax thinks they are targeting but if they are targeting kids, amateurs then they are not going to be looking to go with Pentax, they will look at name first and Pentax wont be on their radar.

Pentax needs to appeal to professionals. Specifically since they have decent ISO, DR, SS and other features going on for them they need to target the Canon and Nikon users who aren't getting everything they want. If they want to do that then they need touch screens, wifi, articulating screens and FF line up that crop users can expect to move into down the road.

Last edited by JoshC; 10-25-2014 at 12:22 PM.
10-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote

How is the grip? And is there enough viewfinder information? Could you imagine that one could more or less shoot just using the viewfinder for composition and with the rear screen set to display info and not live-view? How nippy is the AF?.
The grip I used one handed with big lenses, including in portrait mode, elbow hooked out to the side. The flat of your second knuckle is against the front of the grip, and fingertips end up resting against the front of the case beside the lens.

Of course you can use the rear display for info while shooting through the OVF. That's how you do it on the K-50 which lacks a top LCD panel.

The AF system is the one in the K-50.