Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JoshC Quote
I'm not sure who pentax thinks they are targeting but if they are targeting kids, amateurs then they are not going to be looking to go with Pentax, they will look at name first and Pentax wont be on their radar.
I think they were targeting the OP (Clackers). He is the one who bought one. As for targeting professionals...You are not a pro and neither am I. Why would either of us want to buy a camera targeted at and priced for professionals?

Steve

10-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think they were targeting the OP (Clackers). He is the one who bought one. As for targeting professionals...You are not a pro and neither am I. Why would either of us want to buy a camera targeted at professionals?

Steve
How would you know I am not a professional? Pretty sure you don't know me.
10-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So why would anyone buy this over the cheaper K5 IIs?
You can't even order one from Pentax Australia, Josh. Like the K-500, I bet they've ceased production and only remaining inventory is being sold worldwide.

I think they're dissimilar in purposes anyway. Existing DSLRs have an image problem with a new generation of consumers and you don't get more orthodox in looks and size than the K5.

For image quality it has no AA filter making it sharper than the K-5 and more pixels than the K5-II. Neither have AA capability.

RR pricing sits between the K-50 and K-3. As per modern sales strategies, there are a lot of cows to be milked (look at silver edition K-3s) and at this stage of the product cycle, it's the early adopters.
10-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing. I personally am glad that Pentax offers different cameras that may appeal to folks other than myself. I won't buy one, but I do hope the K-S1 is a big seller. Selling three versions of the K5, with various features enabled or disabled depending on the price is very Canon-like and not worth while in my book.

10-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Pentax needs to appeal to professionals.
Totally different market segment, my friend, you're in the wrong forum. You should be looking at a K-3 or 645Z. (But can I note, that if you're a professional at an event brandishing two bodies in slings, why can't this be one of them?)

As a Sony executive said at Photokina, IIRC, in the conventional DSLR market you're not going to persuade any but a small number of Canikon users to defect. They already have an investment in glass.

You need to try to grow the market, instead of trying to poach loyal users from a continually shrinking DSLR market. Discount wars hurt Pentax, because they're not a low-profit, high turnover outfit, and anyone attempting that - even Sony - may go broke.

The market and its rewards are not what they were three years ago.

Last edited by clackers; 10-25-2014 at 12:47 PM.
10-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure who pentax thinks they are targeting but if they are targeting kids, amateurs then they are not going to be looking to go with Pentax, they will look at name first and Pentax wont be on their radar.
I don't think that statement is true for the Japanese market - which is where the majority of Pentax' sales are. This camera is very much targeted at that market.
10-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Selling three versions of the K5, with various features enabled or disabled depending on the price is very Canon-like and not worth while in my book.
It is very Canon.

It worked for them in the past.

They and Nikon will have to reform what they do though - they've suffered in the last year.

10-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think they were targeting the OP (Clackers). He is the one who bought one. As for targeting professionals...You are not a pro and neither am I. Why would either of us want to buy a camera targeted at and priced for professionals?

Steve
I would consider a pro level camera for its performance. Fast moving kids need fast AF, tough lighting situations would need a clean high ISO sensor, and harshly lit scenes could use wide dynamic range and greater bit depth. I think pros, hobbyists, and amateurs can all appreciate the benefits.

This doesn't mean I can afford to do so today but I am happy to get the camera when the prices fall low enough. Last years pro models may be better than today's enthusiast models. I'm ok with that.
10-25-2014, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a photographer what's any of that matter to me? Half the battery life, not as professional looking, 4mp doesn't really mean much, slower shutter speed, no weather sealing. I'm not sure who pentax thinks they are targeting but if they are targeting kids, amateurs then they are not going to be looking to go with Pentax, they will look at name first and Pentax wont be on their radar.

Pentax needs to appeal to professionals. Specifically since they have decent ISO, DR, SS and other features going on for them they need to target the Canon and Nikon users who aren't getting everything they want. If they want to do that then they need touch screens, wifi, articulating screens and FF line up that crop users can expect to move into down the road.
This has been discussed to death in other venues. If this camera does not appeal to you, that is fine, but there are people who think differently than you.

---------- Post added 10-25-14 at 04:05 PM ----------

Thanks for sharing. I personally am glad that Pentax offers different cameras that may appeal to folks other than myself. I won't buy one, but I do hope the K-S1 is a big seller. Selling three versions of the K5, with various features enabled or disabled depending on the price is very Canon-like and not worth while in my book.
IIRC, the K-5 IIs is the only current K-5 model that is not discontinued.

Not sure the K-S1 is for me, but like you I'm glad Pentax is working on differentiating itself. I'm looking forward to more of Clackers' impressions.
10-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
This has been discussed to death in other venues. If this camera does not appeal to you, that is fine, but there are people who think differently than you.

---------- Post added 10-25-14 at 04:05 PM ----------

IIRC, the K-5 IIs is the only current K-5 model that is not discontinued.

Not sure the K-S1 is for me, but like you I'm glad Pentax is working on differentiating itself. I'm looking forward to more of Clackers' impressions.
Well, the K30, K50, and K500 all felt like different versions of the K5 -- same sensor, different set of specifications.
10-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, the K30, K50, and K500 all felt like different versions of the K5 -- same sensor, different set of specifications.
Yes - Fuji seem to be constructed around that principle. That same 16Mb sensor ...

Olympus/Panasonic are similar, too.
10-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its true that the sensors are very similar (K-5's have 14-bit RAW, the K-50 etc has 12-bit) but the bodies are entirely different, so the cameras don't "feel" the same to me. IMO its not merely specifications, but fundamental differences due to the bodies.
10-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to wonder why there isn't any effort to sell this to established photographers as a very small, Busman's Holiday camera like the K-x was.
10-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have to wonder why there isn't any effort to sell this to established photographers as a very small, Busman's Holiday camera like the K-x was.
Well, now we're talking about the pro/enthusiast model line and the K-50 replacement might take some cues from it.
10-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I would consider a pro level camera for its performance.
Yes, 6BQ5, amateurs lust after pro-style gear, always has been the case, always will. Tennis players et al get big endorsements because of that very principle. They sell a company's widgets.

The K-3 and 645Z are the current Pentax products for that demographic.

But this thing does retain a lot of pro-style capabilities such as Astrotracing, and there's no cheap pentamirror in there.

Not sure why they're needed for the target audience. Inertia may have meant it was just cheaper and easier to leave them in.

Last edited by clackers; 10-26-2014 at 02:48 AM.