Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice selection. Love your building shots! I've been playing around with high ISO, including one at 16,000 ISO - too high for me to use on the K5, so perhaps not a good test. It was a silly shot anyway (under exposed etc.), I was really trying to get the flu card working (finally read the review/guide here and it had one little missing piece of information that I didn't remember). I also tried a 30 second exposure - forgot that I had the auto setting on for long shutter speeds and couldn't figure out why I couldn't review the picture as soon as the shutter closed. Do you know how LONG 30 seconds is when you can't figure out why you can only see black?!

The noise up to about 8,000 ISO cleans up easily with software (I use either Topaz Labs or Nik's Dfine). ISO 10,000 is OK but 12,800 is problematic in my opinion.

11-09-2014, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it looks cool with Limited, it was taken with K10D, yes I still use it.
11-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks nice in basic black. I can understand still using the K10, I still use the K100 once in a while.
12-16-2014, 07:05 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Quick trip up to DC last weekend (with a stop in Richmond to look at the lights). I applied some ISO correction in LightRoom on the first one, but the others are SooC.

12-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Quick trip up to DC last weekend (with a stop in Richmond to look at the lights). I applied some ISO correction in LightRoom on the first one, but the others are SooC.

A lovely series! I'm more and more impressed with this camera, the more I shoot it.
12-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
A lovely series! I'm more and more impressed with this camera, the more I shoot it.
Yep, it's a capable little camera - a worthy successor to the K-x.

Notes from this weekend:

I had less trouble with the AF/MF switch than I did at first. I think my left hand has unconsciously learned to avoid/protect/verify the switch.

Not too much trouble with shooting with gloves on. In the dark, I did get off by a row on the four-way once or twice, and had to feel around. I also bumped the front bump on the power switch a few times and ended up off or in video. Finding 'playback' in the dark to chimp with gloves on can be a challenge.
12-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nicely done, Thoog - these shots are well worth the hypothermia you got afterwards! :-D

Last edited by clackers; 12-16-2014 at 12:10 PM.
12-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Woah! Not bad from "The Worst Camera of the Year".

12-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Todd, what lens(es) did you use to take these images?
12-16-2014, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Todd, what lens(es) did you use to take these images?
Udvar-Hazy: DA15
Metro station: DA21 (my default "street" / "walking around" lens)
Ginter Conservatory: DA35 Ltd (just got it this year - was expecting "sharp", but got some nice little stars as well)
Ginter Woods: Sigma EX 30/1.4 (The EX 30 "stars" a little better than the 35 Ltd, and is my current favorite for shooting Christmas lights. Gotta have stars to give the lights some life. As suspected, the new Art 30's flare resistance means it doesn't star worth a darn.)
12-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, it's a capable little camera - a worthy successor to the K-x.

Notes from this weekend:

I had less trouble with the AF/MF switch than I did at first. I think my left hand has unconsciously learned to avoid/protect/verify the switch.

Not too much trouble with shooting with gloves on. In the dark, I did get off by a row on the four-way once or twice, and had to feel around. I also bumped the front bump on the power switch a few times and ended up off or in video. Finding 'playback' in the dark to chimp with gloves on can be a challenge.
About the only time I find I've accidentally switched to MF is when I'm taking the camera out of the bag. I often push the on switch a little too hard and find myself with the mirror up and in video mode. Now that I know about it, I'm taking more care to check when I turn the camera on.

I've been leaving the lights on, the front LED lights don't bother me (I don't notice them any more) and they aren't on all the time anyway, so finding the controls in the dark is not a problem. I was grateful for that at the aquarium, some rooms are pretty dark.

I haven't tried using the camera with gloves on much so don't know if it will be more difficult than the K3. If I'm out and about below freezing for very long I usually wear 2 gloves, a lighter, more form-fitting lined leather glove for operating controls and then a larger, warmer pair for walking around over the lighter pair. It hasn't been cold enough to try that (in spite of our several inches of snow Last Thursday night).
12-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I've been leaving the lights on, the front LED lights don't bother me (I don't notice them any more) and they aren't on all the time anyway, so finding the controls in the dark is not a problem. I was grateful for that at the aquarium, some rooms are pretty dark.
Would you believe it didn't occur to me that I could turn them ON? *sigh* I've been traumatized by the LED wars.

The problem with the playback button was because it's in a corner and I was jamming a bunch of glove in there, couldn't really feel the buttons, and was getting the menu button instead. I'm sure with practice, it wouldn't be an issue.
12-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #58

Just got my "Midnight Black" K-S1 and 20-40 Limited lens today… Really nice combo, the size/ergonomics can take just a while to get used to if you're a former K-series user but it seems to fit my hands well fairly quickly (although I could see how it might be awkward if you were switching back and forth between the two…). It truly is a unique offering in the bland sea of APS-C competitors, esp, "Canikon" and seems to be a much better made product overall and well thought out - kudos to Ricoh for pushing it forward, but I can also see how the pricing and lack of market presence will likely doom the K-S1 to relative obscurity - all you have to do is walk into a mass retailer like Best Buy, etc. and see the Canikon 2-lens kits at $499 piled high and you wonder how Pentax could ever anticipate growing K-S1 sales beyond being a niche product… Surely once all the old K-5 and K-5o stock is gone the KS-1 will be "it" for the entry user and it's spec'd high enough for the enthusiast but it also still seems a strange mix of "who's it for" at a price that is too high… And anyone's guess if any real marketing will show up?
12-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I doubt we'll see any real marketing - they don't have the manufacturing capacity for what the US would demand, and the the US market is saturated with those cheap Canikon kits (and advertising). Even the mighty K-3 is relatively obscure in the sea of Canikons. To make an impact, it would take a LOT of investment up front with not much return for years. The K-S1 would always be a niche product in North America - too "different" (per TCSTV, "It has no reason to exist!"). The price cuts on the K-50 suggest it won't be long until its replacement is launched.

Last edited by THoog; 12-18-2014 at 07:19 PM.
12-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by capndan3 Quote
all you have to do is walk into a mass retailer like Best Buy, etc. and see the Canikon 2-lens kits at $499 piled high
No one should take on Canon and Nikon with a 'me too' product like the K-500 .. those companies are big, overproduce, and can follow a high-volume, low-profit model that only Sony and maybe Samsung can take on. Even those newbies should be cautious because the market for cameras is falling ... you don't normally fight downward trends.

Pentax attempts to occupy little niches around the place - the Q, 645Z, this thing - to survive.