Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A question about colors

I made some type of mistake today, not quite sure how I did it. I've been hearing the blue one call my name but had decided to wait until Black Friday before I actually did anything about it. I was checking the price of the camera at Amazon ( more expensive than Adorama or B&H) and clicked on a white one to verify the price. Someone came into my office and I fumbled a bit trying to turn off the iPad. This evening I checked my home email and there was a "thank you for your order" email from Amazon for the white camera.

For those that have seen the white camera, is it as good looking as say the white Kx? I didn't care for the white Q, it was sort-of off-white and white. Is the grey on the K-S1 darker, so that there's contrast rather than looking just odd? While I've emailed Amazon to find out their return policy for something I didn't think I had ordered, I'm thinking that I was meant to own the white one, and perhaps I should just keep it, since it's too late to cancel the order ( I tried), and it would be nice to have it sooner rather than later.

I used the K100 for the first time in a year or 2 at lunch today, and it was far easier for me to use such a light camera. It felt so much better that I'm convinced that the K-S1 will be a good choice for me and before I realized my mistake, I had decided to continue using the K100 until the end of the month/Black Friday. However, I did struggle trying to remember how to go about things with it, I definitely prefer the newer cameras interface.

So should I return the white one and wait to get the blue one, or should I keep the "bird-in-the-hand" white one?

10-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

So how did you accidentally go to the checkout and then accidentally choose a payment method then accidentally confirm to buy?

On the other hand, the white looks good. Blue looks like cheap plastic to my eye.
10-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
So should I return the white one and wait to get the blue one
By the sound of it, I think the white 'unicorn' K-S1 was destined for you.

It would probably be bad karma to return it, after the camera gods have magically arranged for it to be sent to you.
10-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #4
JPT
Pentaxian

OK. It's just a matter of opinion, but I think the white one looks better than the other stock colours. Somehow the body works well with the design and even the lights. The grey is quite a nice subtle contrast to the white and I know what you mean about the Q, which kind of looked like it had been sharing a room with a smoker for a couple of years. The K-S1 looks cleaner than that.

One other good point about the white one is that the rubber flap is white to match the body, while the blue one has a black flap on the blue body, which looks a bit wrong.

10-30-2014, 05:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm... That reminds me: do NOT turn on Amazon 1-click ordering.

I'd wait to see what Amazon says about cancelling, and otherwise at least see what the white one looks like out of the box. I prefer dark/neutral colors on my cameras because I do a lot of shooting in museums with glass cases and reflections (I have to wear a hat or my bald head is shining in every shot), but in pictures, the white K-S1 is very attractive.

Regarding the rubber HDMI flap, I really hadn't noticed that it was there on my blue K-S1; as soon as you put a (black) strap on the camera, it's just a little more black on that side.
10-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
OK. It's just a matter of opinion, but I think the white one looks better than the other stock colours. Somehow the body works well with the design and even the lights. The grey is quite a nice subtle contrast to the white and I know what you mean about the Q, which kind of looked like it had been sharing a room with a smoker for a couple of years. The K-S1 looks cleaner than that.
Thanks for the re-assurance. I love your analogy for the Q - very apt. When I saw a friend's white Q I was very glad I had ended up with black ones.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
So how did you accidentally go to the checkout and then accidentally choose a payment method then accidentally confirm to buy?
I have 1-click turned on in Amazon's mobile app on my iPad. I must have accidentally hit the button in my haste to put it away, an expensive "lesson learned." On the other hand, it's quite useful when I'm out of town and really want to buy something - I always forget my password. So I'll leave it enabled for now and will be MUCH, MUCH more careful with it!

It was too late to cancel the order, it's already been shipped and will be here tomorrow. I could still return it for a full refund but the extra money isn't big enough to be worth the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a refund. Besides, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd tire of the blue in the long run. As long as the white is really white and not somewhat yellowish, I won't be unhappy. Of course, then it would give me an excuse to look around for a silver FA43, wouldn't it? After all, all my lenses are black and I always thought the silver FA Limited lenses were so classy looking.

Guess I now have some decisions to make - what do I keep and what do I sell? There's good reasons to keep everything. The one that's matches closest to the K-S1 is the K100, but the reason I still own it is that it's fun to use it with an R72 filter (and it has such little resale value at this point). I don't use it very often, but it's fun to have that capability. The K5 has such wonderful ability to bring out details in the shadows without increasing the noise. It might not focus the best in low light, but it isn't impossible. One of the reasons I wanted the K-S1 is the fact it doesn't have the AA filter - I've gotten quite used to all the extra detail/crispness I can get out of the K3. And while I struggle with it's weight, even with a small lens on it, I love the speed/handling/interface it has. The Q is so small and cute, I love having the ability to stick it in my purse and not look like I'm carrying a camera at all. I have a case for them that looks like a cute smallish purse that's big enough to hold 2 Q cameras and a couple of other lenses, great for when I don't want to carry much. The K-S1 isn't weather-sealed and I do shoot in rain, snow and blowing dust, so I need to make sure I have a sealed camera. I don't want to sell any of them!
10-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #7

Depending on how the item is being shipped you might be able to refuse delivery and it will be returned to the sender at no cost to you. I think UPS tracking has an option to "return to sender".. USPS allows refusal after delivery. The parcel needs to be returned unopened.

DMM 508 Recipient Services

Sounds to me like you will be happier with the blue body.

10-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The more I look at the white one in the pictures, the more I like it. I think a silver lens would look really cool on it, and there's the lens sale going on now. The DA 40 with the new HD coatings is available for $100 off the usual price. It would look really nice, wouldn't it?
10-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The more I look at the white one in the pictures, the more I like it. I think a silver lens would look really cool on it, and there's the lens sale going on now. The DA 40 with the new HD coatings is available for $100 off the usual price. It would look really nice, wouldn't it?
Always accessorize, mtngal!
10-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

I'm still not sure whether I'm going to get a K-S1 eventually, but if I did, if definitely go for one of the order color models. Partly, this is me regretting buying the black K-01 and later deciding the yellow one is really cool. Of the K-S1 colors, the midnight black appeals, as does the orange one. The denim blue one is also nice.

Having said that, the white and blue models are nice too. I'll probably change my mind completely by the time I actually buy a camera.
10-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One reason why I DIDN'T want the white K-S1 was that it would demand a set of silver DA Limiteds, and I haven't quite finished my first set - no way I'm starting over!
10-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
One reason why I DIDN'T want the white K-S1 was that it would demand a set of silver DA Limiteds, and I haven't quite finished my first set - no way I'm starting over!
I know what you mean about not wanting to start over. I don't have any of the DA Limiteds yet. I initially thought about a silver FA43 Limited, but then I'd probably want to replace my FA31 and FA77 with silver lenses. No way am I going to do THAT!

I'll take a look at the camera when it arrives tomorrow and then make a decision. From a strictly financial point of view I should return it, since Adorama and B&H are cheaper AND include the Flu Card. On the other hand, I already have a Flu Card and I don't need 2 of them. If I return it I'd have to wait a couple of weeks for the camera to be shipped back and the refund posted before I could buy another one, and who knows what the price of the camera will be then. Unless I really hate the white, I don't think the difference in price is enough for me to go through all the hassle of returning it and waiting. I'm really looking forward to getting it now.

I'm so impatient!
10-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
People have told me their 2-year old hit the Amazon one-button ordering when playing with the iPad - true story.
10-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, pretty stupid to let a 2 year old get hold of an iPad when the Amazon site is left open and logged in and 1-click ordering is enabled for the account.
People can be their own worst enemies at times
10-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, it's a good way to end up with thirty actual bulldozers!