Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Funny how losing a feature is making me a more aware/better photographer.
This is a good point. Those of us who value the old Pentax compactness could probably profit from losing a few of the features we have become dependent on. I am lazy and mainly use all of the conveniences the K3 provides but sometimes it is fun to see what I can do with older technology such as my still nice MX. I am seriously tempted by the K-S1 although I have more than enough cameras already. Small would be nice.

11-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The level was the first thing I missed, but on the other hand, because I'm so aware that it isn't there, I'm making a huge effort to look at vertical lines and try to get things level from looking at the view, rather than trust the camera's level (which too often I ignore). It's making me pay much more attention of all the little details, not just the subject that caught my eye. Funny how losing a feature is making me a more aware/better photographer.
Anyone can turn off the electronic level on cameras equipped with one if they truly feel it will make them a better photographer.
11-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Anyone can turn off the electronic level on cameras equipped with one if they truly feel it will make them a better photographer.
While I COULD have turned it off on the K3, I never considered it and just depended on the level. I was rather surprised that not having it to depend on made me more aware of what I was doing overall, really looking closer at my scene, not just the vertical and horizontal lines. Most people probably haven't gotten into the bad habits I have and so wouldn't have the same psychological reaction to all of a sudden not having a cool feature like the level.
11-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I COULD have turned it off on the K3, I never considered it and just depended on the level. I was rather surprised that not having it to depend on made me more aware of what I was doing overall, really looking closer at my scene, not just the vertical and horizontal lines. Most people probably haven't gotten into the bad habits I have and so wouldn't have the same psychological reaction to all of a sudden not having a cool feature like the level.
I think there's a subtle difference in the mental process between having a feature, having a feature available but turned off, and just not having the feature. Kind of like the difference between saying you won't shoot more than 24 pictures on a big SD card, having an SD card that only holds 24 pictures, and having one roll of film with no chance to chimp and delete. There's an urgency that stimulates a different part of the brain and kicks you out of the usual train of thought.

11-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think there's a subtle difference in the mental process between having a feature, having a feature available but turned off, and just not having the feature. Kind of like the difference between saying you won't shoot more than 24 pictures on a big SD card, having an SD card that only holds 24 pictures, and having one roll of film with no chance to chimp and delete. There's an urgency that stimulates a different part of the brain and kicks you out of the usual train of thought.
Absolutely. And people are simply not wired to deprive themselves of a benefit.

Also, no matter how large or small your house is, you're always going to find a way to fill it with stuff!