11-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Lovely shot. Where is that spot?
At the passenger port of Melbourne, Pablo. Lots of family-friendly white sand beaches stretching for kilometres down this side of the bay.

The ocean surf beaches are good, but an hour to ninety minutes drive away.

11-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
At the passenger port of Melbourne, Pablo. Lots of family-friendly white sand beaches stretching for kilometres down this side of the bay.

The ocean surf beaches are good, but an hour to ninety minutes drive away.
Looks magical.

Some day I would like to visit the land down under...
11-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Looks magical.

Some day I would like to visit the land down under...
Oh, you should. Obviously you'd see tropical Queensland and Sydney, but a couple of days in Melbourne is well worth it, too. There's a bit of an artsy, European feel to the place ... or at least pretensions to it!
11-06-2014, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Impressive. This is what I mean by saying that a lot of entry level people who are going to get this camera and the proper lens and a little education they will say, wow, I didn't know it would look this good.

11-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still think the K-S1 ought to be offered with the DA 35/2.4 as the kit lens...
11-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I still think the K-S1 ought to be offered with the DA 35/2.4 as the kit lens...
For people making the transition from phones, an optical zoom would be a revelation, but I see your point, Luftluss ... a ready to go street photography setup.
11-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any conclusions to be drawn yet about the new sensor? I'm afraid the DxO test results aren't very revealing, but the posted pictures I've seen so far seem to indicate greater contrast than one would get with the K-30/50/500 series. Or is it a case of trying to find something different, when in reality, the differences between sensors aren't significant?

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 09:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
a lot of entry level people who are going to get this camera and the proper lens and a little education they will say, wow, I didn't know it would look this good.
They might not think to use a 30 second exposure to get the same effect, however. Excellent shot, but technique and a skilled eye should get their proper credit.

11-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Fantastic composition.

When I saw the title, thought someone is really asking so! haha.
So what was you're answer going to be?
11-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For people making the transition from phones, an optical zoom would be a revelation, but I see your point, Luftluss ... a ready to go street photography setup.
I agree with you about the benefit of the zoom, but that lens is an ugly mate to the K-S1. And the 35/2.4 is clean-looking and is a sharp lens. And I like the combination from the standpoint that its a slightly forward-thinking body with the throwback attitude of a traditional SLR + 50mm.
11-06-2014, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #25
Dan
Pentaxian

Someone described the camera as a bit like the K-x crossed with the K-01, with a touch of K3 (the interface also borrows from the GR, I've read).

So of course it can ... new adopters will see what their phones couldn't do.

Princes Pier, Sigma Art 35mm f1.4, ISO 400 at f10, 30 s exposure:

That's a stunning photograph. But there's no way it was taken with the lowly K-S1. Must have been full frame, or at the very least a K-3. :-)
11-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

magic image!
my K-s1 arrived yesterday, it uses the same battery as my K-30.
I really like it, it is a bit narrower than K-x, it looks and feels perfect with DA 35mm 2.8 macro Limited( both black).
11-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #27
Pentaxian

The Li109 battery fits snugly to slim down the grip - a good choice to me despite losing AA ability. Primes and the 20-40 should go really well with this body.
11-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
my K-s1 arrived yesterday, it uses the same battery as my K-30.
This is a reason why I was looking at it as a possible upgrade/replacement for the K30 down the road. Even maybe as a complimentary body, should the need ever arise.
11-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
This is a reason why I was looking at it as a possible upgrade/replacement for the K30 down the road. Even maybe as a complimentary body, should the need ever arise.
I just haven't had the sunlight, time, or energy to really shoot the two head-to-head, but at this point, I'd have to say 'sidegrade'. With good light, you can probably squeeze a little more IQ out of the KS-1, but you do pay for it in low light (not excessively, but it's there if you look for it). The 16% reduction in weight takes quite a few features with it (I've only had an electronic level for two out of thirty years of photography, but I sure became dependent on it).

That said, banging around last weekend with just a 15 Ltd and the K-S1 on a wrist strap felt really... comfortable.
11-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The 16% reduction in weight takes quite a few features with it (I've only had an electronic level for two out of thirty years of photography, but I sure became dependent on it).

That said, banging around last weekend with just a 15 Ltd and the K-S1 on a wrist strap felt really... comfortable.
The level was the first thing I missed, but on the other hand, because I'm so aware that it isn't there, I'm making a huge effort to look at vertical lines and try to get things level from looking at the view, rather than trust the camera's level (which too often I ignore). It's making me pay much more attention of all the little details, not just the subject that caught my eye. Funny how losing a feature is making me a more aware/better photographer.