Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-S1 and Tripod Plates

Have you ever noticed that in photography one purchase often leads into another one? I once went into a camera store and walked out with a $12 small reflector. That led into me buying a tripod, head, QR plate and a dedicated L-bracket when I discovered that I needed 3 hands - camera, flash and reflector.

I have since bought a new tripod head and dedicated L-brackets to go with whatever camera I happen to have. When I bought the Acratech head I also bought a generic L-bracket they make, which included a generic plate. I think it's pretty typical for simple plates for dSLR cameras, and it works perfectly on the K100. Unfortunately, the K-S1 is shorter width-wise and while the plate worked well enough, it interfered with the bottom door, where both the battery and the memory card are. Since this is about something related to photography, of course I had to take pictures to explain it all.

This is the bottom of the K-S1:

Here's the Acratech plate mounted on the camera:

As you can see, the Acratech plate is a bit too wide for the camera - it overlaps the door and there's no way to adjust it so that it doesn't interfere. Here is how big the door will open with it on:

I spent some time Sunday taking macro pictures and was taking the card out for downloading after each series of photos. That meant I had to take the tripod mount off each time - that got old VERY quickly!

So after thinking about it for a while, and deciding I'd much rather drive to San Luis Obispo than Pomona, I emailed Really Right Stuff and asked them if they would be open Veteran's Day, (a holiday at work for me) - they were. I have no connection with either Acratech (located in Pomona) or RRS (located in San Luis Obispo) other than I own products from both companies and love them dearly. Both have fantastic customer service, too.

It was a good thing I went and took the camera, because they had not seen the camera other than in pictures and thought that there were 2 different plates that might work. One of them ended up interfering with the door, the other didn't. I walked out with their B6 plate.

Here it is, showing how small it is:

And with the battery/card door open. No interference.

I ended up with a very successful day - I got a plate that works the way I want, had the opportunity to walk along the beach and pier at Pismo, and had a wonderful clam chowder lunch.

So for others who own Arca-Swiss type clamps of some sort, be aware that you might need to replace your plate, or be prepared to be annoyed and frustrated on occasion.

11-11-2014, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess because the grip isn't that big, the battery door has to go along the length of the body instead of perpendicular...
11-11-2014, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Wow the camera is very attractive from this angle, the silver l;ens makes a nice contrast.
Congrats on finding a plate that works. I had no idea the SD card was in the bottom battery slot.
Cool info!
11-11-2014, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Have you ever noticed that in photography one purchase often leads into another one? I once went into a camera store and walked out with a $12 small reflector. That led into me buying a tripod, head, QR plate and a dedicated L-bracket when I discovered that I needed 3 hands - camera, flash and reflector.
Nice photos - Love the look of that camera. Well done on the plate.

However, it's not just photography. I once went to buy two small bits of trim which were missing off the outside of the car and came home with a whole car!

And we've all heard the tale of the department store salesman who sold a boat, a truck to tow it with, assorted rods, reels, lifejackets, depth sounder, radio and so forth in the ultimate (if perhaps apocryphal) up-sale?

11-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I had no idea the SD card was in the bottom battery slot.
Well, I can see who didn't read my 'First Impressions"! It's really evident that the designers squeezed this design.

The teeny plate that comes with the Sirui T-025X travel tripod is also small enough to not block the door on the K-S1.
11-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Great work.....we all keep buying....
11-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Well, I can see who didn't read my 'First Impressions"! It's really evident that the designers squeezed this design.

The teeny plate that comes with the Sirui T-025X travel tripod is also small enough to not block the door on the K-S1.
Sorry been swamped will have to check your article.
11-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Sorry been swamped will have to check your article.
Just kidding

I was genuinely surprised that in all the pre-release furor, so much energy went into criticizing every aspect of the K-S1's design, yet nothing was said about the SD card slot. I was curious to see how Pentax avoided another K-01-style rubber-flappy door; when I saw that the SD slot was in the battery compartment, I thought, "oooh, they aren't going to like that!" But by then, everyone had moved on to criticizing every aspect of Ricoh's Photokina booth.

11-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I was genuinely surprised that in all the pre-release furor, so much energy went into criticizing every aspect of the K-S1's design, yet nothing was said about the SD card slot. I was curious to see how Pentax avoided another K-01-style rubber-flappy door; when I saw that the SD slot was in the battery compartment, I thought, "oooh, they aren't going to like that!" But by then, everyone had moved on to criticizing every aspect of Ricoh's Photokina booth.
I still don't know why there was so much criticism about this camera. I can certainly understand that some people don't like it for various reasons, and I can understand many people's disappointment that it wasn't a full frame camera. But what I was surprised about was how few saw the positives about the camera. I saw it right off and it fit my needs so well - a small, light-weight, capable camera. It takes high quality pictures and I think it's cute. I can't tell you how many positive comments I get about it from all my friends (including one who shoots a D600 Nikon).

Only thing now is that it's given me a desire for another silver lens. So now I'm hoping that someone for Christmas will give me enough to buy the DA21 - it would be much more convenient than my manual 24mm lens, wouldn't it? AF, AE, no more forgetting to turn the mode to M, etc. etc.

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 07:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
However, it's not just photography. I once went to buy two small bits of trim which were missing off the outside of the car and came home with a whole car!
Gee, my husband did something like that years ago - he took a small Nissan sedan in for what turned out to be major repairs. So major it got transformed into a Nissan hardbody extended cab pick-up truck! Funny thing was, we didn't have the cash on-hand to pay for the repairs but our credit was good enough to buy the new truck. Go figure (we finally sold the truck 10 years later with 390,000 miles on it!).
11-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I still don't know why there was so much criticism about this camera. I can certainly understand that some people don't like it for various reasons, and I can understand many people's disappointment that it wasn't a full frame camera. But what I was surprised about was how few saw the positives about the camera. I saw it right off and it fit my needs so well - a small, light-weight, capable camera. It takes high quality pictures and I think it's cute. I can't tell you how many positive comments I get about it from all my friends (including one who shoots a D600 Nikon).

Only thing now is that it's given me a desire for another silver lens. So now I'm hoping that someone for Christmas will give me enough to buy the DA21 - it would be much more convenient than my manual 24mm lens, wouldn't it? AF, AE, no more forgetting to turn the mode to M, etc. etc.

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 07:09 PM ----------

Gee, my husband did something like that years ago - he took a small Nissan sedan in for what turned out to be major repairs. So major it got transformed into a Nissan hardbody extended cab pick-up truck! Funny thing was, we didn't have the cash on-hand to pay for the repairs but our credit was good enough to buy the new truck. Go figure (we finally sold the truck 10 years later with 390,000 miles on it!).
Yeah - these things happen!
11-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

So after thinking about it for a while, and deciding I'd much rather drive to San Luis Obispo than Pomona, I emailed Really Right Stuff and asked them if they would be open Veteran's Day, (a holiday at work for me) - they were. I have no connection with either Acratech (located in Pomona) or RRS (located in San Luis Obispo) other than I own products from both companies and love them dearly. Both have fantastic customer service, too.
Must be nice to have a choice of factory-to-hand service like that! I can only drive to Jobu Design, and they don't even answer their emails!

Thanks for the info on the plate, too.
11-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Must be nice to have a choice of factory-to-hand service like that! I can only drive to Jobu Design, and they don't even answer their emails!

Thanks for the info on the plate, too.
It is indeed nice to have 2 high quality factories reasonably close. RRS has a showroom while Acratech does not. But they didn't mind when I emailed them a bunch of questions and arranged to visit them to make sure everything worked with what I already had. There are some advantages to living in SoCal.
11-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

It is indeed nice to have 2 high quality factories reasonably close. RRS has a showroom while Acratech does not. But they didn't mind when I emailed them a bunch of questions and arranged to visit them to make sure everything worked with what I already had. There are some advantages to living in SoCal.
Between going to SLO town or Pomona, I would have taken SLO any day of the week - having gone to school and also worked up there. I too have talked with Acratech a lot and their customer service is also superb. I have used my Acratech K100 plate on my K20, K5 initially and currently its sitting on my Q. Though its probably too wide as you found for your K-s1. Kirk use to carry custom L brackets for Pentax up through the K5, but never supported the K3. I do have to admit that the silver lens looks great on the white body.

11-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Only thing now is that it's given me a desire for another silver lens. So now I'm hoping that someone for Christmas will give me enough to buy the DA21
You see, that's why I said I couldn't have a white K-S1. It won't be satisfied until you have a full set of silver Limiteds!
02-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #15

3LT plate works fine.