05-16-2016, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #212

Photos: Gallery
T2.8/50 Aus Jena DDR

05-17-2016, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hypernotactive Quote
T2.8/50 Aus Jena DDR

It looks like the Aus Jena and the K-S1 work very well together, particularly in that second shot with its beautiful colour rendering.

On the subject of manual lenses, I've gradually come to the conclusion that my beloved Takumars just aren't a very good match for the K-S1's sensor (at least in my hands). So I've recently been experimenting with modern autofocus lenses for the first time, and they seem to suit the K-S1 much better. So far I've only tried the kit 18-55mm because it's the only modern lens I own, but I've got a DA16-45mm/4.0 on the way and I'm looking forward to seeing how that works.

Here's one with the 18-55mm (xposted).

05-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #214
Forum Member

A play about with the 50mm f1.8 on my K-S1 taken at f2.8 which I hate to say doesn't come close to my Canon equivalent

05-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #215
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
On the subject of manual lenses, I've gradually come to the conclusion that my beloved Takumars just aren't a very good match for the K-S1's sensor (at least in my hands).
Really? That's too bad. I quite liked your shots with the Super Tak 20mm. I do agree that some lenses and sensors just work together better, and some not so well. My "snub" F 35-70 never really impressed me on 16MP bodies, but seems to pop on the 20MP. Likewise, I feel like I get better results with the FA 100-300/4.7 and the K-S1 than with my K-5.
05-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #216

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote

On the subject of manual lenses, I've gradually come to the conclusion that my beloved Takumars just aren't a very good match for the K-S1's sensor (at least in my hands).
Interesting that you mention that as I was wondering if it's a metering thing. My 50/1.4 is OK, but the 55/1.8 seems to require more trial and error to get a decent exposure. Perhaps it's operator error but the K200D I have is quite accurate I find with the Taks. Pus, I prefer the rendering of the K200D+Taks over K-S1 and Taks.

That's OK, though, I have the DA 35 for the K-S1 and I almost use it exclusively now on the K-S1.
05-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #217
Pentaxian

Now that's very interesting that you prefer the K200D with your Takumars over the K-S1. It uses the same sensor as my K10D clone GX-10, which I also think gives much better results with my Taks.

I normally use my incident meter with my Takumars, so exposure isn't the problem. But the couple of times that I did try to rely on the K-S1's own meter it was all over the place.

The problem is that the rendering of the K-S1's sensor just isn't a good match with the rendering of the Takumars, at least to my eyes. Results are flat and lifeless and need lots of jazzing up in Photoshop. That's not meant to be a criticism of either the K-S1 or the Taks, it's just an admission that I personally haven't been able to get them to work together well.

So now I'm using the K-S1 with the DA 16-45mm and getting much better results. And the Takumars are still working beautifully with my K10D clone GX-10.
05-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #218
Site Supporter

HD 21mm f/3.2 lim

SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4
by ALexey Novikov, on Flickr

Moskva-5
by ALexey Novikov, on Flickr
Shooted by smc takumar 50mm 1.4

Last edited by redox61; 06-01-2016 at 10:01 PM.
06-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #219
Pentaxian

The issue of matching lenses and sensors is very interesting. My DA 35 2.4, for example, seemed to be a soulmate to my K20D. The results were just fantastic to my eyes - even if neither the lens nor the camera are supposed to be all that great. I can't get results that are quite as nice from the K10D and 35 2.4, though I need to play more (and that's hard because the DA 35 2.4 is almost permanently attached to the wife's K-r, where results are good but not quite as great as I got from the K20D).

The K20D went, I got a K10D and today I purchased a K-S1... which at first I'll use basically with my K10D setup (mostly manual lenses, plus my Tokina 19-35). Later I might place it as my wife's camera substituting the K-r. We'll see.

But I expect the DA 35 2.4 and my 16-45 should do quite well with it, based on pictures I've seen online
06-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the K10 and K20 had an old school CCD sensor instead of a modern CMOS one, right? 'Fraid no one puts those into DSLRs or MILCs anymore, so hold onto them if you like the rendering, or settle on a nice PP routine. ☺

06-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, the K10 and K20 had an old school CCD sensor instead of a modern CMOS one, right? 'Fraid no one puts those into DSLRs or MILCs anymore, so hold onto them if you like the rendering, or settle on a nice PP routine. ☺
The K10D has a CCD and it is awesome.
The K20D was the first CMOS Pentax camera. That sensor (Samsung) was a dog in terms of dynamic range (worse than K10D) and ISO performance was nothing to write home about, but it had a "look" to it that I liked quite a bit.

Now I'm looking forward to the big bright viewfinder and the nice sensor of the K-S1 (will keep the K10D though!). Having solved the shutter vibration issue , I am confident I'm going to have tons of fun with it
I had my eyes on the K-S1 since it came out as I thought it was brilliant - a mirrorless sized camera with all the advantages of a good APS-C DSLR. The perfect carry around camera, especially if you put small primes on it.
06-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #222
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I had my eyes on the K-S1 since it came out as I thought it was brilliant - a mirrorless sized camera with all the advantages of a good APS-C DSLR. The perfect carry around camera, especially if you put small primes on it.
I reckon it's a fantastic little camera - it replaced my K-x on portable duties.

Unfortunately, I drowned it a couple of months ago ... a situation so bad that probably my K-30 would have died, too.

I haven't ruled out simply buying another one - as a superceded model the prices will be good - but having purchased the K-1, that'll have to wait. Am budgetted on eating nothing but crackers until the year 2024 at the moment.
06-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #223
Site Supporter

I reckon it's a fantastic little camera
It is.

QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately, I drowned it a couple of months ago ...
Oops.

QuoteQuote:
I haven't ruled out simply buying another one - as a superseded model the prices will be good ...
What has superseded it?
06-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #224
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, I drowned it a couple of months ago
Grip LEDs will be flashed at half-brightness tonight.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
What has superseded it?
Well, the K-S2 and K-70 can do anything the K-S1 can do - and more - except "be as small as possible"***. Based on the K-S1's response and the general trend towards bigger n' better bodies and lenses (the two "collapsible" lenses being exceptions), I think it's going to be a while before we see another small-as-possible K camera.

*** and drive most of PF's readership to fits of rage just by existing.

Last edited by THoog; 06-10-2016 at 09:57 AM.
06-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #225
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Well, the K-S2 and K-70 can do anything the K-S1 can do - and more - except "be as small as possible"***.
Well, that's the point, really. Small size, low weight, simplicity, lack of tilty screen were the factors that influenced me. And I don't use live view or video either.
QuoteQuote:
*** and drive most of PF's readership to fits of rage just by existing.
Yes, I never did figure out what their problem is. There was some bleating about LEDs but I've never seen them. What LEDs?