amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-S1 with Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 72B

07-13-2020, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #349
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
It sounds like you're having fun with the K-S1, indeed How do you like it so far? Too limited (not in the good sense )?

07-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #350
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It sounds like you're having fun with the K-S1, indeed How do you like it so far? Too limited (not in the good sense )?
it may be the most unergonomic camera I have ever held...

there's no where to put your left hand if there's a pancake lens on it.... plus the squared edges all over the camera... it's like it was made to be seen, not used....

but this 20mp sensor is a sweetheart, isn't it? really great colors and fine clarity...

it's better than the sensor in my K-5 IIs, and I've always been impressed with that one....
07-13-2020, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #351
Pentaxian

it may be the most unergonomic camera I have ever held...

there's no where to put your left hand if there's a pancake lens on it.... plus the squared edges all over the camera... it's like it was made to be seen, not used....

but this 20mp sensor is a sweetheart, isn't it? really great colors and fine clarity...

it's better than the sensor in my K-5 IIs, and I've always been impressed with that one....
Yes, it's a sweetheart of a sensor... I really love it.

They addressed your concerns with the K-S2 basically. And the K-70. I am pretty sure there's a K-70 in my future at some point. Since you shoot JPEG, the new "Clarity Enhancement" setting that started with the K-S2 might also make it worth trading your K-S1 for a K-S2 or newer.

Even if you're only going to use it with the new adaptive mount, it might still be worth it just for the ergonomics.
07-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #352
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it's a sweetheart of a sensor... I really love it.

They addressed your concerns with the K-S2 basically. And the K-70. I am pretty sure there's a K-70 in my future at some point. Since you shoot JPEG, the new "Clarity Enhancement" setting that started with the K-S2 might also make it worth trading your K-S1 for a K-S2 or newer.

Even if you're only going to use it with the new adaptive mount, it might still be worth it just for the ergonomics.
the Adaptist mount I have will only work on a non-WR camera body... the K-S1 is the most recent model that isn't WR....

07-13-2020, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #353
Pentaxian

the Adaptist mount I have will only work on a non-WR camera body... the K-S1 is the most recent model that isn't WR....
Oh yeah, that's right, you did mention that.

After you get used to it, the K-S1 is alright in the hands. The only thing that doesn't feel right for me is when I'm using long lenses.
07-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #354
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh yeah, that's right, you did mention that.

After you get used to it, the K-S1 is alright in the hands. The only thing that doesn't feel right for me is when I'm using long lenses.
the good news is that until this afternoon, I've been using primarily AF lenses.. with the switch to MF, my left hand is happy again....
07-13-2020, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #355
Pentaxian

the good news is that until this afternoon, I've been using primarily AF lenses.. with the switch to MF, my left hand is happy again....
Yes! I've long said that the K-S1 is my "K1000" - kind of square and if you think of it as a camera where you set the ISO, change aperture on the lens, focus manually and change shutter speed via its dial - it's the modern day version of the "student camera". With the green button as a bonus... I love using it that way. With A lenses, the Exposure button makes it go back and forth between aperture and shutter speed, and once I got the hang of that, I was able to work fast with that option as well and the other advantage is that the green button becomes silent and immediate...
07-13-2020, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #356
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes! I've long said that the K-S1 is my "K1000" - kind of square and if you think of it as a camera where you set the ISO, change aperture on the lens, focus manually and change shutter speed via its dial - it's the modern day version of the "student camera". With the green button as a bonus... I love using it that way. With A lenses, the Exposure button makes it go back and forth between aperture and shutter speed, and once I got the hang of that, I was able to work fast with that option as well and the other advantage is that the green button becomes silent and immediate...
agreed - it's a basic kind of camera experience that is going to work well with the fully manual lenses I'm about to throw at it...

plus, if there's ever an issue with aperture-block failure, it won't matter...
07-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #357
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-S1 with SMC A 50mm f1.4

07-13-2020, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #358
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-S1 with SMC A 50mm f1.4

07-14-2020, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #359
Veteran Member

Garden fun on a gloomy day

Some insect life from the garden today using the KS-1, 18-55 kit lens and Raynox DC250.

Impressed at the black and white quality.

Last edited by CedrusMacro; 02-13-2021 at 12:16 PM.
07-15-2020, 04:20 AM   #360
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-S1 with SMC 35mm f2