Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to see someone else is enjoying this fantastic little marvel. I have been using it almost exclusively since I got it in late November. It will certainly replace my K-01, and my K-5 IIs is in danger of being replaced as my back-up body when I need to double up.

There are heaps of images up in my Single in December albums (all taken with the FA*24 and K135/2.5) for those who care to peruse.

FA*24

K135/2.5

01-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Good to see someone else is enjoying this fantastic little marvel. I have been using it almost exclusively since I got it in late November. It will certainly replace my K-01, and my K-5 IIs is in danger of being replaced as my back-up body when I need to double up.

There are heaps of images up in my Single in December albums (all taken with the FA*24 and K135/2.5) for those who care to peruse.

FA*24

K135/2.5
Wow! I love so many of your FA*24 photos. I can't imagine being able to do a monthly single with 2 different lenses - I tried to do a 365 project once and couldn't manage to shoot one picture every day, much less come up with one a day with 2 different lenses for a month.

The K-S1 is definitely my primary camera. I sold my K5 and the K3 is now my back-up, only used when I need it's weather capability. Otherwise, I use the K-S1 with a handful of the Limited lenses and 100WR.

Right now I'm having so much fun with this camera that it's pretty easy to come close to a photo a day. But it won't last when I have to go back to work and life catches up with me.

This evening I had an idea that I thought I would try. It didn't work but it got me to try something I've never done that did actually work, more or less (and led me to find out something about the K-S1 that I hadn't realized before). Since this is my first ever try at this, and I was fumbling around not really knowing what I was doing there's some things I did wrong (and right). I'm the kind of person who has to do anything wrong several times before I manage it do it right (for example, I once changed my door knobs and after finishing it the first time, discovered I had put the knobs on backwards).

My first attempt - I had forgotten to check my camera settings and focus (slightly OOF and had the 2 sec. mirror lock-up setting on, which meant that the 5 frames of 30 seconds each had gaps in them). It's below freezing and I've been sick all week, so there's no way I was going outside to try this. They were shot through a south facing window, which meant that while the trails were pretty long, they were also just straight lines. At least the window I was shooting through was clean. I may try re-taking the scene again, but this time with the correct settings.

This is the second attempt and it came out much better. I used a more or less north facing window, checked the focus was set to infinity and checked all of the camera settings. I used a set of 10 frames of 30 sec. each, then merged them in CS6, changing the layer blending mode to lighter color. Unfortunately I couldn't use my sturdy tripod because there's a bookcase in front of the window. I dug out a table top tripod that my other half got me one Christmas when I got my first digital camera. It was too light-weight for a K20 with a Viv S1 105 macro mounted on it (it would tip over) so I rarely used it once I got a dSLR. The K-S1 is light enough that it works well, even with my Acratech GP head mounted on it - I have a new appreciation for it. Unfortunately, I must have knocked it slightly when pushing the shutter for one of the frames because there's some small jags in the trails. Also, the window wasn't particularly clean.

After I put the series together, I looked at the camera and noticed the "B" mode on the dial - will have to read the owners manual about that. I've only used B mode once on another camera and used a wired remote. The K-S1 doesn't have a port for one, so I need to see what my other options are to reduce the possibility of camera shake. But I had fun trying to get this to work, and was happy with the results. I'm going to either have to continue practicing this through dirty windows, plan a weekend getaway to a warmer spot (a lovely idea) or wait until the summer so I can shoot outdoors.
01-21-2015, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

The weather was really nice yesterday, and my afternoon meeting was cancelled, so I played hooky. Back when KEH had their holiday Pentax sale, an FA 100-300 f/4.7 slipped into my cart. It didn't cost much, it's there just in case I ever need an AF-FF zoom, and need I say more than "LBA"? I'd been waiting for a chance to try it out on the K-S1.

Ever notice that in reviews, "cheap build" = plastic = light weight, and "good build quality" = metal = heavy? Makes me think of Jurassic park: "Are they heavy? Then they're expensive". While all plastic, my 100-300 seems sturdy enough, and it's 10% lighter than the 55-300 (which is already light enough to handle fairly well on the K-S1). I found an old Takumar 58mm tele hood for it. Beautifully machined, with the K-S1's faster AF motor, if I don't mount the hood snugly, it can unscrew itself!

Pride:

Hiding under the stick:

Anana poses for me:

01-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The weather was really nice yesterday, and my afternoon meeting was cancelled, so I played hooky. Back when KEH had their holiday Pentax sale, an FA 100-300 f/4.7 slipped into my cart. It didn't cost much, it's there just in case I ever need an AF-FF zoom, and need I say more than "LBA"? I'd been waiting for a chance to try it out on the K-S1.

Ever notice that in reviews, "cheap build" = plastic = light weight, and "good build quality" = metal = heavy? Makes me think of Jurassic park: "Are they heavy? Then they're expensive". While all plastic, my 100-300 seems sturdy enough, and it's 10% lighter than the 55-300 (which is already light enough to handle fairly well on the K-S1). I found an old Takumar 58mm tele hood for it. Beautifully machined, with the K-S1's faster AF motor, if I don't mount the hood snugly, it can unscrew itself!

Pride:

Hiding under the stick:

Anana poses for me:

Now that's really interesting! I haven't tried the 55-300 on the K-S1, been playing around with other stuff. But a lighter weight lens that goes to 300 could be very tempting, especially if I could pick one up for not much. And your pictures are very nice, a good recommendation too.

01-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

The 55-300 handles surprisingly well on the K-S1. It's under my 500g rule for what does and doesn't do well with small grips. I'm probably going to replace mine with the WR version, which is slightly heavier. 10% less weight in the FA doesn't seem like much, but it's noticeable. Yesterday, since this was a "field test", I took both my K-5 with the 55-300 and the K-S1 with the 100-300, and when I switched to the lighter rig, I suddenly found that I was much steadier at the long end. (I should be doing more arm exercises. )

The FA 100-300 4.7-5.8 generally has a better reputation than the other, heavier F/FA/FA J ~300mm zooms. It is slightly longer than the DA 55-300. I'm not a huge fan of silver lenses, but it goes okay with blue K-S1, and probably would look nice on a white body.

Last edited by THoog; 01-21-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: 440g < 500g
01-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The 55-300 handles surprisingly well on the K-S1.
That was my experience also. And I'm glad to see that K-S1 owners remain enthusiastic about it, too.

I managed a few shots with my Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 some days ago. Came out really quite sharp. As the temperature has been close to zero the last few days I've not been out much - have to wait for it to get above 5C or so before I'll feel like testing some more.

Meanwhile I've been messing with LR 5.7.1, trial version. It does seem quite easy to apply corrections and fix most lens problems, so I might spring for that (we have version 1.4 but that's harder to use). It seems that the camera profile as supplied by Adobe gets applied automatically, and I like that LR chooses the correct lens profile if it has it (although I was a bit surprised to see no profile for the Pentax-FA f1.4 50mm).
01-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice shots, Thoog! I've found it not just a joy with smaller lenses but a lighter way to wield the big ones, too - M 300 f4, Tamron 70-200mm f8 and the Sigma 150-500mm!
01-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Is it possible to have the K-S1 default to starting up in Live View?

01-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Is it possible to have the K-S1 default to starting up in Live View?
Don't think that's true of any Pentax DSLR, Luftfluss!
01-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Don't think that's true of any Pentax DSLR, Luftfluss!
Thank you for the quick reply, Clackers. Its not a big deal, but as a K-01 user I think I would have liked that option. My last DSLR was a K-x, so I've not had a DSLR with a good implementation of Live View.
02-10-2015, 03:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian

My apologies, loping in like an interloper, despite my K-30. My father recently upgraded from his trusty old *ist DS to a KS-1, and I feel I simply must link here to a photo he took with it today, as I think it's blimmin' fantastic: Angry wet shag.

I'm just sooooo glad he got the KS-1. As his *ist began to have trouble with SD cards (new ones are too fast for the camera), he'd been using a Lumix super-zoom and a Canon PoS ... I mean P&S ...no, I know what I mean.

Anyway, the difference in quality seeing him on the KS-1 is maHOOsive. Seems a great camera.
02-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
My apologies, loping in like an interloper, despite my K-30. My father recently upgraded from his trusty old *ist DS to a KS-1, and I feel I simply must link here to a photo he took with it today, as I think it's blimmin' fantastic: Angry wet shag.

I'm just sooooo glad he got the KS-1. As his *ist began to have trouble with SD cards (new ones are too fast for the camera), he'd been using a Lumix super-zoom and a Canon PoS ... I mean P&S ...no, I know what I mean.

Anyway, the difference in quality seeing him on the KS-1 is maHOOsive. Seems a great camera.
Great to hear, Tsuken.

It's an excellent little camera and another of its type is being added to the range and people seem to have gone mad about it in its own thread.

Last edited by clackers; 02-10-2015 at 05:17 AM.
02-11-2015, 04:24 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Great to hear, Tsuken.

It's an excellent little camera and another of its type is being added to the range and people seem to have gone mad about it in its own thread.

Yes, that KS-2 looks to be excellent as well.
02-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Yes, that KS-2 looks to be excellent as well.

Yeah, I can live without a flippy screen and wifi, but these are features that catch the eye of people moving up from phones and P&S.
02-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rabblefrabble Quote
Thanks for posting. Is the viewfinder any bigger on the K-S1 than whats on the K-x?
YES!! In terms of apsc, only the canon 7d II has a bigger viewfinder.