Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 07:54 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fun with the K-S1

This little camera is all about fun - I've been having a blast with it. I'm sure some of the others who are early adopters feel the same way and would be willing to add some of their favorites here, too. I have way too many favorites and examples, pictures I took from some non-artistic reason but offer something about the camera. I've started to write a couple of threads but never quite get them finished or else I think of something I want to take that would be a better explanation or whatever. So this is just for fun, some random snaps I've taken over the past couple of weeks.

A very large bank ATM security camera, isn't it? Taken with the DA40, my new lens. Still getting used to it.

I love black and white, but have never tried to shoot it much in the past. So for the most part, I keep the K-S1 set to raw+ with black and white as the processing mode (instead of natural which I've always used in the past). That gives me the best of both worlds - a preview of what a scene could look like in b&w plus the raw file if I shoot something that really needs color. It's been interesting, I've found a few things worked much better than I expected and other things that didn't. I'm still learning.

Cityscape with the DA40:

Before sunrise, taken at ISO 8000 and processed how I like. I thought it cleaned up nicely. DA40 again.

Spying through the window, thought the dynamic range here was not bad at all. ISO 4000

To change gears a bit - I might work in the big city, but I'd rather be somewhere else on my off-time. I don't know why but I like the black and white version of this picture better than the color one.

Mountain morning calm, DA40

A different town sign, DA40

Grooming gull, waiting for a hand-out, DA 35. It was quite windy and I didn't feel like changing lenses after I walked along the beach, taking pictures of shells. The sea gulls are VERY tame here.

Back at work, I spent one recent lunch break walking around a botanical garden. For some reason, I liked the black and white jpg version instead of the color RAW one. DA35 macro.

The color version (100% crop) is here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v106/p205074916.jpg - the raw file isn't as forgiving, I ran into dof problems and it was windy. The b&w version was more forgiving for some reason.

I've posted some other macros in the macro category also.

11-23-2014, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Great to see all of these and hear about your experience! Sounds like you're having fun, and that's the most important part! :-) Thanks for sharing!
11-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots. I am a big fan of B&W and my little MX-1 seems custom made for it. My big dilemma is choosing between the K3 (at constantly lowering prices) or a KS-1. Then again the 645Z is driving me crazy too.
11-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Nice shots. I am a big fan of B&W and my little MX-1 seems custom made for it. My big dilemma is choosing between the K3 (at constantly lowering prices) or a KS-1. Then again the 645Z is driving me crazy too.
I've been delighted with the K-S1, it was a relief to have such a light camera. I don't want to do comparison shots between the K3 and the S1. It seems to me the quality is similar. The S1 doesn't need as much sharpening, at least in my opinion. I don't mind the fewer MP, and the smaller files are appreciated. There are some features it doesn't have but I can live without them. It's not bothering me at all to leave the K3 at home.

11-26-2014, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I don't want to do comparison shots between the K3 and the S1
I don't blame you at all - because the weather was awful and I had a cold, I spent the last couple evenings working on some 4-way ISO comparisons of the K-x, K-30, K-01, and K-S1. My conclusion: I don't like doing 4-way ISO comparisons. Oh, and I found what we already knew - the K-S1 has more detail in good light, and more noise in low light, but it's easier to correct because of the higher resolution.
11-26-2014, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series, mtngal!
11-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I don't blame you at all - because the weather was awful and I had a cold, I spent the last couple evenings working on some 4-way ISO comparisons of the K-x, K-30, K-01, and K-S1.
How are you finding the grip on the K-S1? I just looked at dpreview's 2014 roundup of DSLRs, pleased to see the K-50 and K-S1 there. But they did comment on the K-S1 grip getting slippy so I would be interested to know whether it's a valid criticism or not.

11-26-2014, 05:41 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
How are you finding the grip on the K-S1? I just looked at dpreview's 2014 roundup of DSLRs, pleased to see the K-50 and K-S1 there. But they did comment on the K-S1 grip getting slippy so I would be interested to know whether it's a valid criticism or not.
When I wrote my 'First Impressions' post, I edited out some sarcastic things about DPR's reviewers' apparent skin condition which they "thought they were going to lose" on the mode dial (they should get that looked at ), and changed it to just "I don't agree". I'll try to restrain myself, but here goes:

The inner surface of the grip (in the notch between the grip and lens) is rubber like any other camera grip, and that's where your fingers contact the camera, unless you have the hands of a small child, are missing the last two joints of your fingers, or have fingers that don't bend, like a pre-Kung Fu Grip GI Joe - in which case you really should see someone about that. Sincere apologies to anyone who really does have problems like these - but if my right hand was like that, I'd switch to a mirrorless.

I have fairly large hands with some arthritis in the last joint of my index and middle fingers, and the grip doesn't give me any trouble. I wouldn't mind if the front corner were a little rounder, or if the whole thing was flat like a K-01, but it works. I usually carry the K-S1 with just a wrist strap (because I don't trust myself not to bang my elbow on something and drop it), and frequently hook a couple fingers around the front edge and let the camera dangle from them, so the rubber can't be that slippery.

I do prefer lenses that weigh less than 500g on the K-S1; bigger lenses are nose-heavy. If you use a heavy lens, it's like a big ol' 80s push-pull zoom on a film SLR - you cradle and balance the lens in your left hand, and just use the right for control. I took my K-S1 to the zoo with the 55-300 and forgot to pack a neck strap like I intended. The 55-300 is relatively light and small, but the K-S1 still did much better than I expected.
11-26-2014, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
I haven't had any trouble with the grip either, but it did take some getting used to the first day. It's working better for me to use the camera cradling it/the lens in my left hand and using the right more for control than for holding it. But that's more because of the nerve issues I have. My hands are quite small, so the camera fits quite nicely.

Since I like leaving my hands mostly free, I use a neck strap when I'm out taking pictures. And I haven't tried any heavy lenses, I decided that I wouldn't use anything heavier/larger than the FA31 without a tripod, at least for the near future.
11-27-2014, 10:00 AM - 4 Likes   #10

This is a very capable camera, and I agree it is a lot of fun and easy to use. Here is a jpeg, no adjustments other than resizing to post on the forum, iso 3200, DA 35 macro, f2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
11-27-2014, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #11

Thanks THoog and mtngal - that's useful comments regarding the grip.
11-27-2014, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Great series of b&w photos, thanks for sharing.
11-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwibird Quote
This is a very capable camera, and I agree it is a lot of fun and easy to use. Here is a jpeg, no adjustments other than resizing to post on the forum, iso 3200, DA 35 macro, f2.8
Ahhhh, so cute! You have to just love a face like that.
11-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwibird Quote
I am generally bored by pet pictures but the dog's look of tolerant weariness is great. It is also cute.
11-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #15

Thanks for posting. Is the viewfinder any bigger on the K-S1 than whats on the K-x?