Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 634 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still on the fence between getting another K-01 or a K-S1. Sigh.

07-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
For the viewfinder alone the K-S1 seems better to me.

K-01 looks cool though.
07-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
...and that's what really matters. I know we're supposed to suffer for our art, but it should be more "bug bites and blisters getting the shot you want", not "the camera is actually painful to use".

Good Influence THoog: Not getting the DA 70 (for now) is the right decision. When it comes to gear, just shooting pictures is almost always better than buying stuff.
Bad Influence THoog: (comments comparing the compact-but-capable F 35-70 to the DA 70 have been removed by Good Influence THoog)
LOL! I'm not tempted, but nice to know about it. I'm really not much of a zoom person, for years I shot film with a couple of primes. I eventually added one zoom (F 70-210) and while I loved it, I had a tendency to just bring the camera to my eye, look at the scene and push the shutter without thinking of using the zoom ring. I'm very comfortable with all of my little limited lenses the 70 being the only one I don't have) for anything wider than 100mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A lot of it comes down to how comfortable are you not having a viewfinder in many ways. I used the Q for a while (still have them) but found I wasn't all that crazy about not having a viewfinder. I tried using the Hoodman loupe but got frustrated with that, too. Otherwise, I might have gotten a K-01 at some point. On the other hand, I'm now glad I didn't - at the time I thought about it I only had 3 limited lenses, all the rest of mine were large, heavy ones. There's no way that I could now manage to hold a camera at LCD viewing distance with one of them on it. We all have different physical characteristics and that's something very important. In my case, it's critical because of my limitation. The funny thing is that the reason I wanted a K-01 in the first place was the fact it had flat sides, so you could put it down on a wall or table in portrait mode and didn't need a tripod or stabilizer or anything else. To me, that was something I'd use a lot.

Good luck with your decision - I'm now glad I got the K-S1 instead of a K-01 (but that's just my opinion).
07-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
A lot of it comes down to how comfortable are you not having a viewfinder in many ways. I used the Q for a while (still have them) but found I wasn't all that crazy about not having a viewfinder. I tried using the Hoodman loupe but got frustrated with that, too. Otherwise, I might have gotten a K-01 at some point. On the other hand, I'm now glad I didn't - at the time I thought about it I only had 3 limited lenses, all the rest of mine were large, heavy ones. There's no way that I could now manage to hold a camera at LCD viewing distance with one of them on it. We all have different physical characteristics and that's something very important. In my case, it's critical because of my limitation. The funny thing is that the reason I wanted a K-01 in the first place was the fact it had flat sides, so you could put it down on a wall or table in portrait mode and didn't need a tripod or stabilizer or anything else. To me, that was something I'd use a lot.

Good luck with your decision - I'm now glad I got the K-S1 instead of a K-01 (but that's just my opinion).
I'm quite happy with my K-01, hankering for another body. I use a Hoodman loupe-ish viewer for tele work and I'm OK with it. But I also like the K-S1 - especially since so many people were down on it when launched - and your beautiful pictures make a persuasive argument.

Decisions, decisions...

07-27-2015, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

I really liked my K.01, it was hard to let go especially since the purchase price was so low ($335 I think). With random K.s1 bodies at or below $300 the feeling is similar, and the huge bright VF is such a bonus when the sun is in the 'wrong' place. Both have excellent sensors and interface is nearly the same. No bad choice between the two!

K.s1 + M100/2.8
07-29-2015, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #96

I'm somewhat behind with Lightroom but did get round to adjusting these: young hawthorn in flower with field of barley behind. Taken in May this year.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 

Last edited by Clothears; 07-30-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Add picture.
07-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #97
Pentaxian

For those using manual focus peaking in live view mode. Seems like we can't zoom in in focus peaking right? Was trying out manual focus in the late evening time but noticed there is no zooming feature while in focus peaking mode.

08-01-2015, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
For those using manual focus peaking in live view mode. Seems like we can't zoom in in focus peaking right? Was trying out manual focus in the late evening time but noticed there is no zooming feature while in focus peaking mode.
Hold down the OK button for about a second. Not only is there zooming in Live View, it has been improved to 10x.
08-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Hold down the OK button for about a second. Not only is there zooming in Live View, it has been improved to 10x.
Good info and thanks THoog!!
08-01-2015, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #100

SWMBO took this - she's probably a better photographer than I am anyway, although I had to cajole her a bit into moving to a K-S1 from a K-100D Super. Our three cats, all from the same litter. Sad to say, Tabby on the left has since skipped town. She may have gone off on the razzle and a fox got her, possibly.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
08-04-2015, 02:38 PM - 3 Likes   #101

Not strictly K-S1, but the "fun" part applies.

I took this picture in September 1971, after a five-hour hike to get to the top of Le Buet (10,200ft, at 46°01′30″N 06°51′09″E). Taken with my Pentax Spotmatic, looking south about 2pm.

Typical of my luck though - when I started shooting I discovered there were only two shots left on the camera
Attached Images

08-04-2015, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #102

Hello everyone, another one here enjoying this little big camera. I love small sized bodies so this is the perfect upgrade coming from a Kx (In fact I upgraded to a K500 but finally sold it to buy the KS1). I'm happy there are more fans of it showing their photos, I hope it can help forgetting about all the stupid things one can read about this true gemm.

08-11-2015, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #103

I just picked up a K-S1 from Amazon for $396 for the two lens kit. I'm looking forward to using it.
08-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Demiles Quote
I just picked up a K-S1 from Amazon for $396 for the two lens kit. I'm looking forward to using it.
Fantastic result, Demiles - enjoy!
08-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Demiles Quote
Very nice! Post some pictures when you get it.