Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 634 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #106
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Demiles Quote
I just picked up a K-S1 from Amazon for $396 for the two lens kit. I'm looking forward to using it.
It's about the same price in Japan now and it's up to #3 on this online sales ranking.

http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/
(Ranking is likely to change if you look at this on another day)

It was #8 on Tuesday and #5 yesterday. I don't recall the K-50 getting that high on the ranking, so it's quite a good result for the K-S1.

08-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's about the same price in Japan now and it's up to #3 on this online sales ranking.

http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/
(Ranking is likely to change if you look at this on another day)

It was #8 on Tuesday and #5 yesterday. I don't recall the K-50 getting that high on the ranking, so it's quite a good result for the K-S1.
That's good to hear! (just a year too late). If the K-S1 continues to ride high in the rankings, then everyone can be happy - the K-S1 fans can say it was popular, and the anti-fans can say it wasn't, and everyone is right!
08-14-2015, 04:20 AM - 4 Likes   #108

My K-S1 arrived yesterday and here are a few first attemps at manual mode with this camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
08-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I love your dogs! Your first attempts sure look good to me.

08-16-2015, 06:32 PM - 3 Likes   #110

K-S1

Thanks! I'm coming from a Nikon D40 and the amount of feature settings in the S1 is a bit overwhelming. Everything behaves so much different than my Nikon.Here's a few more images from today.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
08-22-2015, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by Demiles Quote
Thanks! I'm coming from a Nikon D40 and the amount of feature settings in the S1 is a bit overwhelming. Everything behaves so much different than my Nikon.Here's a few more images from today.

I have had my copy for half a year now.. originally I was worried about where to source small DA primes.. well ditch the DA's and get a Takumar 6x7 55mm F3.5. It looks like this.

A sunset pic from yesterday (at f8).

08-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #112

Since nobody commented on this setup, I'll refer to the reaction of my old pal: "Now that's pure madness. The wide-angle Takumar is just a dark, relatively unsharp, oversized short tele on your cropped sensor digital camera body."

Don't you agree?

08-23-2015, 12:33 PM - 4 Likes   #113
Forum Member

I bought a K-S1 from B and H earlier this month. It is my first DSLR. Mine is blue and I also bought the DA 50mm f1.8 lens (thought this would be a good first lens to learn the camera on). Mostly I take pictures of horses and dogs at shows and events, both indoors and outdoors, and wanted a lightweight, non-bulky camera that I could manually focus if need be, has a excellent optical viewfinder, a good selection of lenses (and I've inherited some legacy glass), and has pics which are sharp right out of the camera. The K-S1 seemed to fit the bill, and I really like it so far. There haven't been any horse or dog events nearby, so I went to my local botanic garden, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, CA and shot some California native plants which is also an interest of mine (a macro is likely in my future). I didn't know what to expect from this lens/camera combo, just wondered if it would be versatile enough to get some pictures to make me happy of plants/flowers that I like. I haven't used an SLR in many years. It felt strange to have something again that can do so much, after several frustrating point and shoots. The handling/ergonomics of the camera felt quite good.

Does anyone have pictures of a blue K-S1 with a silver lens?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
08-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tessie Quote
I bought a K-S1 from B and H earlier this month. It is my first DSLR. Mine is blue and I also bought the DA 50mm f1.8 lens (thought this would be a good first lens to learn the camera on). Mostly I take pictures of horses and dogs at shows and events, both indoors and outdoors, and wanted a lightweight, non-bulky camera that I could manually focus if need be, has a excellent optical viewfinder, a good selection of lenses (and I've inherited some legacy glass), and has pics which are sharp right out of the camera. The K-S1 seemed to fit the bill, and I really like it so far. There haven't been any horse or dog events nearby, so I went to my local botanic garden, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, CA and shot some California native plants which is also an interest of mine (a macro is likely in my future). I didn't know what to expect from this lens/camera combo, just wondered if it would be versatile enough to get some pictures to make me happy of plants/flowers that I like. I haven't used an SLR in many years. It felt strange to have something again that can do so much, after several frustrating point and shoots. The handling/ergonomics of the camera felt quite good.

Does anyone have pictures of a blue K-S1 with a silver lens?
Welcome to the K-S1 family!

I've got a bunch of 'glamor' shots of my Blue K-S1 with black and 'zebra' lenses, but no silver. I do have a couple silver lenses (an FA 35-80 and a 100-300 f/4.7), and I think they go well together.
08-25-2015, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #115
Forum Member

Thanks for the welcome!

Here are some more California natives from my visit to Rancho Santa Ana Botanic garden--a desert willow, chitalpa, manzanita, wild buckwheat, and palo verde.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
08-27-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #116

A few more recent photos from my K-S1 I'm still learning how to shoot it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
08-27-2015, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy Birthday!

Guess which Pentax camera is one year old today AND was the #1 best seller on the kakaku list for the past week?

Hint: (It's the K-S1)
08-28-2015, 11:00 PM - 2 Likes   #118
Forum Member

After destroying my K-5 this spring I decided i'll go cheap and get a K-S1. Must say this little camera delivers and it's very underestimated, a lot of functions here and very little that I would miss from a K-5. Had to have it sent to service a week after I bought it, but now i'm really looking forward to properly testing it and bring it in the field with me.

Lightning with Tamron 17-35

K-S1 is a good match to the F 135 2.8 IF

Obligatory moon shot with Tamron 60B 300 2.8 + 2x TC

Bigma combo
08-30-2015, 02:42 PM - 3 Likes   #119

I just love this camera

20-40 limited @30mm

08-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jegr Quote
After destroying my K-5 this spring I decided i'll go cheap and get a K-S1. Must say this little camera delivers and it's very underestimated, a lot of functions here and very little that I would miss from a K-5.

Bigma combo
That camera sure looks small compared to the bigma, doesn't it? Love it!

I had a similar experience with the K3, which I still have though I don't use it much.

Love the pictures, too. A good example of "the little camera that could."