Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thoughts on the Pentax KS-1

In a week or so I'll have my video manual series forhte Pentax KS-1 edited and uploaded. In the interim, I uploaded an excerpt from the first video with my thoughts and some sample photos.

Here's the link:

11-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thank you for your observations.
I like it very much, goes well will Limiteds.
I do not have a problem with gription , well I always liked my K-x.
the AF switch is very easy to knock - the only complain.
some of my first photos :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itrax/sets/72157649176395332/
kind regards
jack
11-29-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those turned out really well. This camera has a simply fantastic sensor on it -- much better, I think, than the other entry-level offerings out there.

I'll add that, in black, the KS-1 looks much better than in white.
11-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
In a week or so I'll have my video manual series forhte Pentax KS-1 edited and uploaded. In the interim, I uploaded an excerpt from the first video with my thoughts and some sample photos.
I don't mind where the AF switch is as far as using it, but it's so easy to accidentally change it when I take the camera out of a bag. If a lens doesn't focus at first, I don't panic, just change the switch.

What I find most annoying is the fact they put the live view button where the review button is on the K3, and included the delete function on it. I can't tell you how many times I've been reviewing pictures and pushed that button to go back to shooting, only to be presented with a question about deleting. For someone who's never used a dSLR before, or at least not the K3 it probably wouldn't make a difference.

11-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Interesting observations especially concerning the IQ. Would be nice if Ricoh threw that sensor or something like it into a snazzy mirrorless body with a K mount. I'd definitely be interested in that.
11-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I don't mind where the AF switch is as far as using it, but it's so easy to accidentally change it when I take the camera out of a bag. If a lens doesn't focus at first, I don't panic, just change the switch.

What I find most annoying is the fact they put the live view button where the review button is on the K3, and included the delete function on it. I can't tell you how many times I've been reviewing pictures and pushed that button to go back to shooting, only to be presented with a question about deleting. For someone who's never used a dSLR before, or at least not the K3 it probably wouldn't make a difference.
The Live View / Delete button is in the same place on the K-30/50/500. I had those problems when I transitioned from a K-r to a K-30. I predicted that "metal-body" Pentax shooters would have more trouble with the K-S1's layout than "plastic-body" shooters.

The AF/MF focus switch on the K-30 was really stiff. They seem to have over-compensated with the K-S1. I will say that it is easy to check/change by touch, without taking your eye away from the viewfinder, but the old style sliding switch would have been better for the target audience, who (in most cases) would just shoot the kit lens auto/auto/auto.

Regarding the OP's missing rear IR sensor - none of the Pentax plastic bodies have a rear sensor, so far as I know. The K-30 and K-01 don't. That just doesn't seem to be a feature that they are willing to transition from the high-end to the low end.
11-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Although the MX-1 has a rear IR...

11-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just handled the K-S1 today at a gear show. It is very tiny, very cute, but looks more "toyish" than the K-50 (and of course, K-3). It is a little space-age looking. I like it. But its menus and different layout took a while to understand. I didn't know why I was in video mode - the ON/OFF button also goes into "video"! So its actually an OFF, still, video button.
Bold statements about the sensor, though! I am glad to hear them
11-29-2014, 07:09 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Interesting observations especially concerning the IQ. Would be nice if Ricoh threw that sensor or something like it into a snazzy mirrorless body with a K mount. I'd definitely be interested in that.
If it has a k mount it won't bw much smaller than the k-s1 so why not just get that instead? I think the k-s1 is a brilliant piece of engineering for having premium features and a great pentaprism in an almost mirrorless sized body!
11-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If it has a k mount it won't bw much smaller than the k-s1 so why not just get that instead? I think the k-s1 is a brilliant piece of engineering for having premium features and a great pentaprism in an almost mirrorless sized body!
Well the K-01 is smaller than the Canon SL1 which is the smallest DSLR currently on the market so yeah they could make a mirrorless that was noticeably smaller than the K-S1 if they wanted to which is something that I would personally be interested in. I am also not too crazy about the K-S1 as far as looks are concerned. Maybe for under $500 I would consider it.
12-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Well the K-01 is smaller than the Canon SL1 which is the smallest DSLR currently on the market so yeah they could make a mirrorless that was noticeably smaller than the K-S1 if they wanted to which is something that I would personally be interested in. I am also not too crazy about the K-S1 as far as looks are concerned. Maybe for under $500 I would consider it.
The K-S1 is in the same ballpark as the Canon... Compare camera dimensions side by side

As far as height and width difference, we're talking a couple milimiters... which is fantastic considering how much better the pentaprism in the K-S1 is compared to the pentamirror in the Canon.

Also, I'm sure that by easter next year, there will be stores selling the K-S1 for 400 dollars. It's already down to 579 on Amazon.
12-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thought I would add something here, since there was discussion about the fact there's only a front sensor for a wireless remote. I didn't think the lack of a rear IR sensor as I figured I'd use a wired remote, which would work just as well for me. However, today when I started to use one, I couldn't find a port for one. So I guess it doesn't support a wired remote - I couldn't find anything in the manual about using one. That along with the lack of a rear remote sensor is a bit frustrating. On the other hand, there's a 3 second mirror lockup when using a remote, time enough to get out of the way.
12-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update on the lack of a rear remote sensor - the K-S1 works with the Flu Card. For my purposes that would work even better than with a remote. Wish I had thought of that yesterday!
12-08-2014, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Update on the lack of a rear remote sensor - the K-S1 works with the Flu Card. For my purposes that would work even better than with a remote. Wish I had thought of that yesterday!

You can use Chrome on your phone to fire the shutter, Mtngal, then upload it to be critiqued on Pentax Forums within a minute.

The first blows to your self-esteem can happen even before you've take down your tripod!
12-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can use Chrome on your phone to fire the shutter, Mtngal, then upload it to be critiqued on Pentax Forums within a minute.

The first blows to your self-esteem can happen even before you've take down your tripod!
LOL! How true, how true. Actually I usually (but not always) sleep on photos before making a decision about posting something. Otherwise, I'd reject them all and never post anything!