Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sample Photos

I had some time with the KS-1 in November. Here are some of the photos I took with it that I think show what it's capable of.

31mm FA Limited

31mm FA Limited

31mm FA Limited

Vivitar (Tokina) TX Mount 400mm f6.3

Kit 18-55mm

Kit 18-55mm

Kit 18-55mm

Last edited by K David; 11-29-2014 at 12:21 AM.
11-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #2

looks great! What lens was used for the landscape shots with the tree?
11-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I had some time with the KS-1 in November. Here are some of the photos I took with it that I think show what it's capable of
Very nice! A nice variety, too, you obviously have used it in different situations. I'd be interested in what lenses you used also, they seem to work well with your camera.
11-29-2014, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rabblefrabble Quote
looks great! What lens was used for the landscape shots with the tree?
Yeah, the KS-1 has a fantastic sensor on it. I added the lenses I used under each photo. That was taken with, believe it or not, the kit lens. Believe it or not, in general, the copy of the kit lens that came with this KS-1 is particularly weak. It's decent between 24 and 35mm but at 18mm it loses a LOT of IQ and the corners lose quality quickly except when it's stopped way down (I was okay with the results at f11 and f16 which are the water tank and tree-rock shots, respectively.) At 55, the lens has this softness from corner to corner. I have a copy of that lens that came with my K-r and it's meaningfully better than the one that came with the KS-1. I don't have any reason to believe that the KS-1 lens copy I received on loan is indicative of current kit lens quality -- I think this just isn't the best lens to come out of the Vietnam factory.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Very nice! A nice variety, too, you obviously have used it in different situations. I'd be interested in what lenses you used also, they seem to work well with your camera.
Thank you, too. Since I wanted to have a nice array of images to contribute, I took this with me everywhere I went except work, basically. I try to take one or two photo hikes a week, so it was nice to have it to take along. In fact, I'm taking it back out tomorrow (I took it with me today but only used it for videography) as a secondary camera. The hike tomorrow is to find some abandoned farm machinery with my Cambo SCN. It will be nice, I think, to have the KS-1 and my K-3 along for the ride.

But, you know, keeping a camera handy is the best way to take good photos.

11-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Yeah, the KS-1 has a fantastic sensor on it. I added the lenses I used under each photo. That was taken with, believe it or not, the kit lens. Believe it or not, in general, the copy of the kit lens that came with this KS-1 is particularly weak. It's decent between 24 and 35mm but at 18mm it loses a LOT of IQ and the corners lose quality quickly except when it's stopped way down (I was okay with the results at f11 and f16 which are the water tank and tree-rock shots, respectively.) At 55, the lens has this softness from corner to corner. I have a copy of that lens that came with my K-r and it's meaningfully better than the one that came with the KS-1. I don't have any reason to believe that the KS-1 lens copy I received on loan is indicative of current kit lens quality -- I think this just isn't the best lens to come out of the Vietnam factory.

Thank you, too. Since I wanted to have a nice array of images to contribute, I took this with me everywhere I went except work, basically. I try to take one or two photo hikes a week, so it was nice to have it to take along. In fact, I'm taking it back out tomorrow (I took it with me today but only used it for videography) as a secondary camera. The hike tomorrow is to find some abandoned farm machinery with my Cambo SCN. It will be nice, I think, to have the KS-1 and my K-3 along for the ride.

But, you know, keeping a camera handy is the best way to take good photos.
Thanks for the lens ID. The only kit lens I had came with a DS, it wasn't that great, and it got worse over time. It does seem like there's a lot of variation with them.

How are you planning on carrying the two cameras? When weight wasn't a concern I would hike with 2 cameras and as long as the cameras were about the same weight, I didn't have much problem. But once I had 2 different sized cameras with different weights, it was awkward and I would choose one or the other. I wonder what system you have.
11-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
How are you planning on carrying the two cameras?
Well, I only carry multiple cameras when I take my LF kit out. Since, in order to carry that, I need to pull it on a wheeled cart anyway, I have some room to spare and typically include my K-3, sometimes a film SLR, and some lenses. And there's still room for a few tripods (one for the K-3 and one for the Cambo.) If I'm just going to carry everything, I carry my camera on a shoulder strap, a telephoto lens (if I take) on another, and then sometimes a small bag of smaller lenses as well.