Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Decisions, decisions

I'm trying to make up my mind about what to buy, I can only buy one of 2. At first glance you might think this theread should be in the accessories or lens thread, but I think it belongs here, because what's driving the desire is my K-S1 and I'm looking for thoughts from people who have/need small, light set-ups. And I wouldn't be interested in buying either one of these items if I hadn't bought the K-S1. I already own similar items and don't really have to buy either one. But my similar items are much heavier and I want lighter, smaller options, the nerve issues I have in my arms has really limited what I can now use. I'm looking for other points that I haven't thought about, other people's opinions and experiences.

The 2 items I'm looking at are the DFA 100 WR macro lens or the small, lightweight RRS tripod (not their tabletop one, their smallest full sized one). I know, completely different things.

I already own a Gitzo 4 section Series 2 CF tripod. So I don't really need another tripod. But I'm finding myself leaving it home more and more because I'm not carrying the camera bag that has a tripod carrier on it any more, and while it isn't exactly heavy, it is enough that too often I sacrifice it, then regret not having it. I looked at the RRS one recently, and it is really light. The height isn't an issue because I'm small. I think I would be far more likely to take it as an every day thing. I'd keep the Gitzo so I would have the heavier option if I needed it, but with the light K-S1 and the shorter lenses I'm using now, I think I would get far more use out of the light RRS one.

The 100 WR lens has been calling my name for several years. I've almost bought it a number of times, but always found something else that made more sense for me to buy. In the past there were 2 things that I wanted - the WR and the rounded aperture blades, for smoother bokeh. I have always decided against it because I already own the very sharp Vivitar Series One 105 macro lens, which I love dearly. But now I No longer can reliably use it hand held, something I did often in the past. It gets left home as I switched to the DA35 macro now, because of the weight difference. However, I'm not getting as good results, since I have to get that much closer to my subjects. I really miss shooting with a 100 mm macro and think I would be much happier with the 100WR.

So that's my dilemma- do I get the lens or the tripod? I can only afford one of them. If it were you in my situation, which would you get? Are there other points I should consider that I haven't thought of? Or is there something else out there that I would be better off with?

11-29-2014, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Get the lens
Get the LENS
GET THE LENS~
you have wanted it forever/get it now/time is fleeting
& so is life~
11-30-2014, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
Get the lens
Get the LENS
GET THE LENS~
you have wanted it forever/get it now/time is fleeting
& so is life~
LOL! All right, I've ordered the lens. I think it was cheaper than the tripod anyway (don't remember what they told me it cost, but their on-line price is higher than the lens).

I can't believe I bought 3 lenses this weekend. Looks like hot dogs and beans for the next month. Sigh!