Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #1

Anyone actually bought a K-S1 yet?

…Just wondering if any forum members have bought a K-S1 yet, particularly if you've used a K-5 and/or K-3 prior ?(which I've owned, but didn't want to carry around as often as I'd like to). With the Sony A7II coming out at least with somewhat improved ergonomics I'm starting to feel the tug of the small, FF mirrorless world but the trouble-spot would of course be the poor lens options, especially missing of the great Pentax Limited lenses, esp. the 15 and 20-40 that I'm very fond of… I have yet to see any lenses from the slowly expanding Sony FE mount world, perhaps there's some hope that Zeiss will add some more Loxia W-A options (like a 25mm?) next year but even then those are manual focus only (but I rather like the classic aperture ring on the lenses so that's a plus… most of my photo subjects are statics, landscapes, etc. so AF is more of convenience than "necessity". So I'm just curious if anyone here has tried the K-S1 and what you think about it? I know it's aimed at the more "first time DLSR user" but the excellent VF and selectable AAF option are decidedly "upscale" and overall it's a very feature-loaded option to what else is in the price range from others… I think I could rather like it with the Limited lenses…

12-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There are threads below yours from members who have a K-S1
12-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't want to be without a viewfinder. I own a Q and while it was fun, it convinced me that a dSLR was the only way I wanted to go on a regular basis. My backup camera is a K3.
12-04-2014, 08:28 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sure. K-S1, FA 77 at f1.8 ...

12-10-2014, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
I bought a K-S1

When the K-S1 was offered I thought: Not my camera.
I need a backup for my K5 as it fell down and was damaged a few years ago - it still works but I'll never know when it will stopp working (the Pentax services regarded the camera as total loss).
Then there were these black friday offers at amazon - at I bought one thgether with the 35 mm f=2.4.
I did not take many pictures with it - the weather is horrible in Germany these days.
But I played around with my new K-S1.
I like that camera.
It is a little bit to tiny for my hands - so not perfect - but it works.
I like the new command wheel with the multiple funtions.
I like the switch for the film mode at the release button (instead of the pre-view function at the K5 I nearly never used).
The little button on the top to toggle the function of the wheel for aperture/exposure time setting is a good solution - I don't miss the wheel at the front.
The group wise shifting of the active AF fields is something I like.
The camera is fast and it is fun to use it. The image Quality is very nice.

The cons:
The inner buttons of the command wheel/field on the back are a little to small - I just have to press them with the top of my finger nails.
The shutter is loud! Maybe a loudness within the range of its class or maybe even typical for DSLRs of other brands - but if you come from K5 you'll hear the difference.
Still no articulated screen.

It's a camera I can recommend. Maybe it fits better in the hands of a woman/girl - but also for me with my big hands it's OK.

I think I will sell the camera if the next Pentax (if FF or if it's an APS-C with artivulated screen) and buy the new modell. But for an entry camera it's a well equipped model with great IQ.

Best regards
Holger
12-11-2014, 02:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have K-3, K-5 IIs, K-01, Q7 and Q, and have previously owned two K-5's and a K10D.

My moon silver K-S1 arrived from B&H yesterday and I can definitely see it replacing my K-01. It feels even more compact, it's lighter, the grip is better (yes, perfectly adequate with the little rubber thumb pad at the back to compliment the rubberised front grip), the button layout is better (green button can be reached, YAY!) and has a better sensor with many of the bells and whistles of the K-3. The shutter is a little louder than I am used to, but I have been spoiled with the mirrorless K-01.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it has a viewfinder

And it totally rocks a silver limited lens:

Seriously, I might even sell my K-5 IIs if the image quality of the K-S1 holds up to close scrutiny over the next little while....
12-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Seriously, I might even sell my K-5 IIs if the image quality of the K-S1 holds up to close scrutiny over the next little while....
Drop me a PM if you do, Sandy (I'm in QLD)

12-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Drop me a PM if you do, Sandy (I'm in QLD)
Will do.
12-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have K-3, K-5 IIs, K-01, Q7 and Q, and have previously owned two K-5's and a K10D.

My moon silver K-S1 arrived from B&H yesterday and I can definitely see it replacing my K-01. It feels even more compact, it's lighter, the grip is better (yes, perfectly adequate with the little rubber thumb pad at the back to compliment the rubberised front grip), the button layout is better (green button can be reached, YAY!) and has a better sensor with many of the bells and whistles of the K-3. The shutter is a little louder than I am used to, but I have been spoiled with the mirrorless K-01.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it has a viewfinder

And it totally rocks a silver limited lens:

It does look pretty good in silver especially with silver FA Limiteds. Will be interested in reading about your findings pertaining to image quality.

Last edited by LeRolls; 12-11-2014 at 06:00 PM.