Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Different strokes for different folks. I don't have 1 camera that does it all. And today I had the K3 out taking pictures of the snow. I had to think a bit to get all the settings right, and I couldn't shoot it for very long with the DA16-50. When the sun came out I switched to the K-S1 and decided that it's really fun to shoot snapshots with a simpler, lighter camera. So I have the best of both worlds - a small, light-weight camera for fun things and take with me wherever I want to go and a big, heavy complicated camera for when the weather is lousy or I want to do something the K-S1 can do easily. I had far less camera shake with the K-S1 and it was much easier to shoot with for me. And the funny thing is that I've gotten used to the lighted dials, I was shooting the K3 in the dark and fumbled quite a bit to change the mode to X-Mode.

I wonder if people here are so down on the K-S1 (sight-unseen except in pictures) because they were so disappointed that it wasn't a full frame camera? I don't know, and the only reason I care is that they aren't giving it a chance. I love mine, and am still delighted that I accidentally bought it. I'm sure there are others who have missed taking wonderful shots because they left their weight-lifter K3 camera at home, they didn't bother dragging it along.

Is that an exaggeration? Of course, but then so are so many of the negative comments directed toward the K-S1.

12-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Different strokes for different folks. I don't have 1 camera that does it all. And today I had the K3 out taking pictures of the snow. I had to think a bit to get all the settings right, and I couldn't shoot it for very long with the DA16-50. When the sun came out I switched to the K-S1 and decided that it's really fun to shoot snapshots with a simpler, lighter camera. So I have the best of both worlds - a small, light-weight camera for fun things and take with me wherever I want to go and a big, heavy complicated camera for when the weather is lousy or I want to do something the K-S1 can do easily. I had far less camera shake with the K-S1 and it was much easier to shoot with for me. And the funny thing is that I've gotten used to the lighted dials, I was shooting the K3 in the dark and fumbled quite a bit to change the mode to X-Mode.

I wonder if people here are so down on the K-S1 (sight-unseen except in pictures) because they were so disappointed that it wasn't a full frame camera? I don't know, and the only reason I care is that they aren't giving it a chance. I love mine, and am still delighted that I accidentally bought it. I'm sure there are others who have missed taking wonderful shots because they left their weight-lifter K3 camera at home, they didn't bother dragging it along.

Is that an exaggeration? Of course, but then so are so many of the negative comments directed toward the K-S1.
Anyone who would say anything about any camera without actually holding it in their hands, and finding out if it has redeeming qualities that would overcome their objections, isn't worth listening to. People may criticize what they see. But until they hold the camera and work with it, they know nothing. Don't be misled. Don't take advice from people who know nothing...
12-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #33
Veteran Member

The camera store guys are probably the most friendly guys towards PENTAX products, so they are not haters.
They are probably the only online outlet that give favorable review (or even bother to give) to PENTAX product, they know how to use PENTAX product. Most other reviewers were Canikon users that the first thing they say about PENTAX product is usually button placements/menu sucks (What??).

honestly, if you never heard of them, it is not that they are not famous, it is you that lack of knowledge in the camera world.
12-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Because they are Pentax haters and all. I love how people jump to conclusions without watching the video.
Aren't you jumping to a conclusion? I don't see a single post in this thread calling them Pentax haters - just disagreements with their calling the K-S1 the worst camera of the year (and the K-01 an "absolute piece of garbage"). I talked about their specific complaints with the K-S1in another thread.

12-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In some perverse way this kind of thing makes me want to buy this camera - which I don't need - just to be contrary.

Sort of like my K-01, which for some applications is my preferred camera.

(16Mp - 20Mp - 24Mp -- Hhmmmmmm).
Exactly how I feel.
12-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The camera store guys are probably the most friendly guys towards PENTAX products, so they are not haters.
They are probably the only online outlet that give favorable review (or even bother to give) to PENTAX product, they know how to use PENTAX product. Most other reviewers were Canikon users that the first thing they say about PENTAX product is usually button placements/menu sucks (What??).

honestly, if you never heard of them, it is not that they are not famous, it is you that lack of knowledge in the camera world.
I don't have any problem with them. They select cameras based on their criteria. And their criteria are closer to the things we on the forum value than they are to someone who is currently shooting a cell phone camera, but wants a little better image quality (but not so much bigger size). Price has come down a lot since launch. If you are comparing a K-S1 to a Canon T5 or a similar priced Nikon, I just don't think the K-S1 looks so bad.
12-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #37

Actually, one of them (Chris) did say the "K-01 is an absolute piece of garbage" in a follow-up review.
Course, it's a big nonsense to say that the K-01 was garbage. For me, it lacks a viewfinder and there was no need to pay some "designer" to give it strange looks, but the IQ is first class. How can that be "garbage"?

12-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Course, it's a big nonsense to say that the K-01 was garbage. For me, it lacks a viewfinder and there was no need to pay some "designer" to give it strange looks, but the IQ is first class. How can that be "garbage"?
Yep! Unlike the K-01 I don't have a dog in this - other than to ask that people not revile Pentax out of habit. Try to understand the motivation and the target market before universally denigrating the camera - and if necessary say it doesn't work well for North American tastes, but maybe will be OK for Asia.

Of course, they paid a global consumer product design firm to do the K-S1, also, and all anyone seems to care about is the LED's and the shape of the grip.

Yet K-S1 like K-01 is apparently a very good image maker, so why should we care about disco lights that we can turn off completely if they bother us?

Last edited by monochrome; 12-12-2014 at 02:01 PM.
12-12-2014, 01:39 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

I have a problem with anyone, who trashes a product, because they don't understand it's market, or because they aren't it's market. How can they sell that camera to anyone, with those attitudes? If your job is to know why someone should buy a camera, and this is their attitude, how are they competent? Do they express these opinions to clients who come in to buy an KS-1, and say, "this camera is so pointless we won't sell it to you, go down the street and buy it from our competitors." Surely they wouldn't sell something like this if they have any integrity. Maybe they don't stock it. Maybe they are men of integrity, maybe they put there money where there mouth is, I don't know. but having bought stuff mail order from them before, should I ever decide to buy this camera, I won't be looking for stock from their store. After all, if they think the camera is pointless, what would they think of someone who wants to buy it, and why would I subject myself to that?

So all they said is.. "if you want a KS-1, don't buy it from us, we think it's pointless." Thats a wonderful attitude, for a store.... not.
You don't define photography dudes, you're friggin camera salesmen fer griefs sake.

If you had any talent you'd be Ansel friggin Adams or Peter friggin Lik.

The only reason for doing something like this, you decided you needed to trash someone to appear to be unbiased, I mean you can't just praise everything and expect people to give you any credibility I guess, so find a product that's likely to be low volume for you, and trash that.

Thanks for the taking the public interest into account and letting them know this is a pointless camera. You guys are the next Ralph Naders.

Last edited by normhead; 12-12-2014 at 02:08 PM.
12-12-2014, 01:59 PM - 4 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got a K-S1 from B&H. Moon Silver was not available through the Australian stores and it was the only colour I would have accepted. It looks bloody great with either silver or black lenses. Yes, I have turned off the LED's.

It is at the lower limit of size for a DSLR - I'm 6' 3" with fairly big hands - but the control layout is excellent and the grip is surprisingly good: nowhere near as slippery as I was expecting.

I have been enjoying the early images to come out of it.

The haters can go hate. I'll go take some photos.
12-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sandy,

That photograph of the flower is exactly why this camera intrigues much. It is smooth as silk and as sharp as a tack. I am loving the quality of the images I am seeing here.
12-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #42
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice post Sandy. Do you (or any other K-S1 owner) miss the two wheels?
12-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yet K-S1 like K-01 is apparently a very good image maker, so why should we care about disco lights that we can turn off completely if they bother us?
That's the part that rankles me - I turned the LEDs off two months ago, and am pretty much unaware of their existence - but all I hear about is that people don't like the LEDs. If the camera came with a neon green neck strap and a plain black strap, and I used the black strap from day one, would I hear "oh, that's the camera with the green strap. I don't like that." in every conversation? (Ans: Yes, probably so.)

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Nice post Sandy. Do you (or any other K-S1 owner) miss the two wheels?
The vast majority of my photographic life has been with one-wheel or film cameras, so no.

Based on the number of hits my comparison shots get every day, there is quite a bit of interest in the K-S1. A lot of the fun of the K-01 was everyone finding and sharing workarounds for its various quirks. My intention was to do a bunch of different shoots with a bunch of different lenses from my collection and put together a K-S1 review from an average Joe perspective. Work and the weather have gotten in the way, and TBH I just don't feel like it any more. I don't want to put in the effort, only to have to defend the existence of some LEDs that I turned off weeks ago.

To paraphrase Sandy, me, Kay-Swan and the Brick are going to go take pictures now.
12-12-2014, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #44
JPT
Pentaxian

The pictures I've seen so far prove that the K-S1 is a very capable camera in the hands of people who know what they're doing. I think it's ideal for people who have some of the small primes we can get for K-mount, and weather sealing is not especially useful in that case.

But I think Pentax really designed this camera to be accessible to people who don't know what they're doing. If someone bought this camera to take pictures of their child as they grow up or to take on on holiday, I think they'd be very satisfied with the results. Some of the supposed shortcomings are in fact virtues for these users. It's difficult to knock the mode dial out of green mode. The button for WB is recessed and difficult to press by accident. By the way, after a bad experience in Rome, the WB button is known to my parents as the button that makes your photos come out blue for the rest of the holiday. Basically, I think the K-S1 would be one of the easiest cameras on the market to get consistently sharp, well-focused, well-metered shots for a novice, and it's stand-out feature, the viewfinder, is not something you need to be an expert to appreciate.

Coming back to the Camera Store comments, this is not their market at all. They cater to enthusiasts and pros, and their reviews and humour are tailored to that market. I don't blame them - it clearly gets them a lot of exposure.
12-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #45
Pentaxian

If had the extra money I would of bought the K-S1 already, but I want an extra K3, and a better tripod, some prime lenses, a ring flash....😉