Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-S1 the worst camera of the year!

The Camera Store just selected the K-S1 as the worst camera of the year. I had my doubts about it in the first place because of the LEDs - WTF? Come on Pentax, whats with the trash cameras?!

12-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did not understand the LEDs either. The camera itself doesn't really seem bad. It just looks cheap, like the clown of cameras.
12-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least it's somewhere in the list! )
12-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
I'll be sure to pick up this nice tiny DSLR with a great sensor and viewfinder, when they blow them out next year.
The only thing I wish it had is two wheels.

12-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
The Camera Store just selected the K-S1 as the worst camera of the year. I had my doubts about it in the first place because of the LEDs - WTF? Come on Pentax, whats with the trash cameras?!
So what? Elsewhere the K-S1 has gotten decent reviews. Camera Magazine Australia named the K-S1 its Consumer DSLR of the Year.
12-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

Aren't these the same guys that called the K-01 an "absolute piece of garbage"?

As one of my high school gym coaches was fond of saying "Opinions are like (a vulgar term for a part of the anatomy used for excreting the end products of metabolism, plural) - everybody is entitled to one".

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-11-2014 at 10:08 PM.
12-11-2014, 10:27 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heaven forbid that a Japanese camera company, most of whose sales are in Japan, make a camera intended and priced for the Japanese market, then barely market it in North America. If it's not for you - don't buy it. There are plenty of options at great prices, especially the recently discontinued and soon-to-be discontinued bodies. That doesn't make the K-S1 trash. I've been really pleased with what mine can do. Ditto for my K-01 piece(s) of garbage.

What I don't understand is the obsession with the freakin' LEDs. They are just an extension of the bright green power LED on top of the K-m, or the blue LED on the K-x, and just as easy to turn off. The countdown timer is a rather clever idea: 5-4-3-2-1 is a lot more intuitive than blinkblinkblink.

12-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As with the K-01, they are not evaluating the camera, they are just giving their (shallow) opinion of its looks. If those looks sell in Japan, then Ricoh-Pentax have done their job. If the K-S1 is anything like the K-01 in filling a particular role very well, most owners will love it for what it can do.
12-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not familiar with The Camera Store, but it appears to be a Canadian retailer. Is that right? I'm just trying to figure out why I should care about their opinion of the camera.
12-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I was playing with a K-S1 and a K-50 in a shop yesterday and I was impressed with the feel and build quality of the K-S1. It's more solidly-built than the K-50. The mode wheel is not as hard to turn as has been reported in reviews and the AF is lightning fast. It's a handsome camera in the flesh too.
12-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #11

I find it encouraging that you were able to find both the K-50 and K-S1 in retail store, let alone some hands on experience with them. As I recall someone reported that one of the demo persons at Photokina said the mode dial loosens up a bit with use.
12-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is impressive that Pentax got such a good viewfinder and other features into such a small package. It is probably about as small as you could go without losing the mirror and the k mount. Sure, it isn't going to be a camera for folks on the forum. But, there are probably plenty of people who would be interested in one as an upgrade to a cell phone camera or, point and shoot.
12-12-2014, 04:40 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Who are they? I've never heard of them.

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 11:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure, it isn't going to be a camera for folks on the forum.
Why not? SWMBO has a K100D Super and I'm hoping to persuade her that up upgrade to a K-S1 is crucial.
12-12-2014, 05:00 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Who are they? I've never heard of them.

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 11:43 ----------

Why not? SWMBO has a K100D Super and I'm hoping to persuade her that up upgrade to a K-S1 is crucial.
People on the forum tend to be more old school. They prefer bigger cameras, like having the option of an add on grip, like better specs -- deeper buffers, better frame rates. I see most of them looking at the K-S1 versus a K50 and thinking that they would prefer the K50. I probably would too. I don't care if it is a little larger, the K50 is sealed and is probably a little better ergonomically. Even if the K50 was a little more expensive, I would probably choose it over the S1. But then again, I would choose a K5 over the K50...
12-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
People on the forum tend to be more old school. They prefer bigger cameras, like having the option of an add on grip, like better specs -- deeper buffers, better frame rates. I see most of them looking at the K-S1 versus a K50 and thinking that they would prefer the K50. I probably would too. I don't care if it is a little larger, the K50 is sealed and is probably a little better ergonomically. Even if the K50 was a little more expensive, I would probably choose it over the S1. But then again, I would choose a K5 over the K50...
This is some of what they were saying in the review. I think they even suggested the K-50 was cheaper (being older I guess). In the same review they were saying the 645 was the best camera of the year. They also were apologetic about they're summary of the K-S1 but it was a lesser camera compared to the K-50. Anyway, here is the review