Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 12:17 AM - 5 Likes   #1

Ergonomics of the KS1

There's been a bit of discussion around on the ergonomics of the KS1. I've had mine about a week now and would like to make some comments. I also own a Kx, a K30 and K01. First, the KS1 weighs 558g (virtually the same as the K01 (560g)), it's slightly less than the Kx (580g with AA lithiums) and significantly lighter than the K30 (650g). In dimensions it's considerably smaller than the K30, a tiny bit smaller than the Kx, and if you disregard the prism housing, about the same as the K01.

So it's small. But because it's small, like the K01 it doesn't really feel light. And for large hands the grip leaves something to desire. While the front of the grip is arguable better than the K01, the rear isn'tó it's just a thumb depression and my thumb overflows it. And the rear mode dial gets in the way. So my solution is to always hang onto the lens as well. That means the lens needs a bit of length to holdó I have abandoned using my 40/2.8 XS, also 21/3.2 and 70/2.4 Limiteds on this camera. However the next smallest (50/1.8 DA) is fine, as are all my other lenses.

The rear placed mode dial needs a positive twist, preferably using two fingers (at least you don't accidentally shift it!), and I find the 4-way controller buttons hard to use. I've found it helps to lean your finger against the mode 'ring' while pressing the relevant quadrant of the 4-way controlleró this makes the action more positive. And 'leaning' against the mode dial certainly won't accidentally change modes.

Everything else is fine by me. The IQ is great, it has a better quality feel than the K30 or Kx, and is a real pleasure to use. The colour is a matte finish blue; from pictures of the KS1 I was expecting a more glossy finish, but I'm more than happy with the colour. One surprise bonus I've found is you can change filenames, eg from IMGPxxxx to KS1_xxxx. At least this camera's output can be safely mixed with my other cameras.

12-12-2014, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good comments. Why not do a review for the K-S1 camera review section? I think others would find your observations useful and as a review they are there for posterity.
12-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input. The ergonomics meshes with what I suspected would be the case, and isn't a detriment in Japan or with female users where potential customers are more likely to have smaller hands.

How does it feel with a larger lens on it? Does the weight overwhelm the camera body?
12-12-2014, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Good comments. Why not do a review for the K-S1 camera review section? I think others would find your observations useful and as a review they are there for posterity.
I'll try and do that after I've used the camera for a couple of weeks

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 12:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Thanks for the input. The ergonomics meshes with what I suspected would be the case, and isn't a detriment in Japan or with female users where potential customers are more likely to have smaller hands.

How does it feel with a larger lens on it? Does the weight overwhelm the camera body?
I've just been using it with my 510g Tamron 28-75/2.8 attached. That feels perfectly well balanced to me, but you really do need to hang onto the lens with your left hand. But you can carry it around awhile in just your right hand if you cradle it in the vertical position with the short side pointed up to the sky. It really feels similar to the K01. I'm using it with a hand strap, not a neck strap, so (like the K01) if I'm walking around much past the front door I'll take a small snoot case with neck/shoulder strap to rest the camera in as required.

12-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice post.
12-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, I look forward to your complete review.